Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Please Share Results of Dash Pad Repair. What has worked long term?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 11:35 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Default Please Share Results of Dash Pad Repair. What has worked long term?

This thread concerns the 4th Generation F-Body part called crash pad, upper dash, and dash pad. There are a huge number of posts and threads going back 10+ years concerning options, methods, theories, and short term, positive results of repair and preventative measures for this part. There is extremely little information on the long-term success of different repairs and crack prevention measures.

I would like, in this thread, to compile as much info about what has worked long term, and what has failed regardless of time from implementation. I would be hugely interested in any comments on repairs and/or preventions that were still successful 3, 10, or 15+ years after implementation.

So, please post up your results, including photos. If possible, please include as much info as possible about materials & methods used. If you previously posted materials and methods, please feel free to quote your old post(s). I am especially interested in adhesion/bonding of specific glues, epoxies, fabric, fabric adhesives, fillers, fiberglass, aerosol texture products, and finish coatings like paints / color coats.

I thank you in advance.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I can't offer any data on repair durability as I've never had one crack, but I can offer my preventative technique since you also mentioned this in your question: regular use of 303 Protectant throughout the summer months. Most of my 4th gens have been weekend toys stored in the garage, except for my '02 Z28. It sat outside almost it's entire life as a daily driver, and the dash was often in at least partial, if not full, sun throughout the hot seasons. I sold that car in 2014, but even at 12 years old the dash pad showed zero signs of cracking or even stress/pre-cracks. I would apply the product about once every 4-6 weeks from May through October using a foam applicator, letting it soak a bit and then use a microfiber towel to buff away any remaining residue.

I don't know if this would be adequate for the folks in very high UV areas (such as the southwest), maybe they would need to apply product more often. Here in the Great Lakes area, we really only have intense sun for a few months of the year.
Old 07-13-2018, 04:42 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Default Compilation Post 1

Info Compilation begins here.
Originally Posted by RPM WS6
....303 Protectant throughout the summer months....'02 Z28. It sat outside almost it's entire life as a daily driver, and the dash was often in at least partial, if not full, sun throughout the hot seasons. I sold that car in 2014, but even at 12 years old the dash pad showed zero signs of cracking or even stress/pre-cracks. I would apply the product about once every 4-6 weeks from May through October using a foam applicator, letting it soak a bit and then use a microfiber towel to buff away any remaining residue....
Old 07-13-2018, 04:43 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Default Compilation Post 2

Reserved for Compilation Post 2, if by any chance there is sufficient info posted.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

-Save up and buy a new one, then take care of it(park in shade, use sunshade, use protectant).
Old 07-23-2018, 07:09 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

That is an option. However, I installed a new, OEM replacement during winter storage in 2007 IIRC. It was cracked by spring. Cannot remember much about the swap. Maybe I was too rough on install and damaged it w/o noticing?? However, that experience leads to considerable uneasiness regarding purchasing another new, OEM unit.
Old 07-23-2018, 07:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 857 Likes on 610 Posts

my repair didn't last. for the time and money that I put into trying to fix it........i should have bought an OEM replacement....
Old 07-23-2018, 08:33 PM
bsf
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
my repair didn't last. for the time and money that I put into trying to fix it........i should have bought an OEM replacement....
Ok. Sorry for you troubles. How about a little more info though. What was your attempted repair and how long did it last?
Old 07-24-2018, 08:18 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

If you can get the factory one or replacement one out of the car in 1 piece, I have had a good track record of pulling the padding off the back and plastic epoxy the back side. Made a HUGE improvement in preventing it from flexing and cracking. I also have plastic epoxied large pieces back together and then wrapped the entire thing.
Old 07-25-2018, 07:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Funny thing is, I've been lucky. My old 98 was not taken care of before I got it, and it was never garaged when I had it, and the dash pad never cracked.

My 99 has been garaged most of the time I've had it or the previous guy had it, but it has seen sun and stuff too. No cracks on it either.

*fingers crossed*

I do want to see long term durability of things like wrapping it though, as I've considered doing that eventually just for appearance reasons. But I don't want the wrapping to get looking like crap after a couple years.
Old 07-31-2018, 11:54 AM
bsf
TECH Resident

Bumping this back to the top. Obviously have not collected much useable info from posters yet. Would very much like to compile specific info on what has worked long term and what failed. Specific materials and methods would be nice. Lots of posts about dash pad problems and repairs since ~2005 on this forum, but extremely little long-term follow-up with specifics.

I attempted to reach by email through this forum a very early poster concerning his repairs, but have not received a response. May start PM’ing or emailing others who posted up years ago requesting follow-up info. Not certain how many members/former members still have these vehicles; valid email address(es); are still alive; are willing to respond; etc.
Old 07-31-2018, 01:56 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Years ago in my 95 LT1 car, I used a hoaky but relatively long term repair to my dash pad. I drilled 1/8" holes on either side of the cracks every few inches or where needed and used little black baby plastic zip ties to "stitch" it back together. Cut the excess off flush with a razor blade. I then rotated the "head" of the zip tie down flush with a hole. It actually didnt look too bad and was hardly ever noticed. A VERY helpful method that I used, which was the intent sharing this post, was I did my repairs around a windshield replacement. I needed a windshield at the time so I asked them to come remove it then return the next day to install it. It made working on the dash a breeze!
Old 08-02-2018, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Received 88 Likes on 63 Posts

Just an observation, but I've got two Camaro's (2000 & 2001) and the car with SFC's didn't crack the dash pad and the one without them did. Mileage and age are pretty close on both cars. Granted, the climates these two cars existed in is different, but if anything, the car with SFC's had a wider range of temperatures to deal with coming from the Northern US. This won't help anyone who has a crack now but installing SFC's and not letting your interior bake in the sun should prevent it from ever happening again once you get the issue fixed.

Quick Reply: Please Share Results of Dash Pad Repair. What has worked long term?