Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

First polishing job EVER

Old 07-19-2018, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default First polishing job EVER

My first time EVER polishing aluminum or anything.
I always liked the GM covers with 2 ports on the passenger side. they seem to be rare now.

Most aftermarket covers do not have two ports which means a Y for my catch can set up.

I had these red when on my vette and repainted them in the last Z. After swapping my engine into the SS they got mauled up pretty good so i took them off to sand and repaint. Also since then i am relocating my coils to be able to change plugs with ease.

While off i shaved the coil bracket mounts. Filled the holes and sanded the top. i was planning on filling the two lines in the middle but after shaving the top those RED lines gave the covers character on the roughly sanded aluminium shimmer.

I liked the look so i decided to hit Youtube on polishing.

I didn't have any fancy tools to do this just a simple grinder. mouse sander and an old 1980s black and decker chorded drill...lol its OLD but it really doesn't stop!
harbor frieght for a drill polishing kit 6.99 and some green clay polish 2.99.
i had various sand papers. i used the grinder to remove the mounts. sanded with the grinder to the surface...using a flapper wheel flap disc.

it was pretty shiny right then and really for my purpose i was satisfied. But i said lets go on and polish it so i used the mouse with 120 all over. then had paper until my arms were jelly... 500 grit then 1200 grit.

im nor in the league with anyone who is a pro at this but if i did it again it would be a lot better.

Gor my intent im happy tho. Then i polished with the drill black clay red clay white clay and then green clay.

in these pics i still have to clean the clay from the center red stripes. plenty of swirls and flaw but i don't care Im proud of myself guys.

a shelf grinder with polisher wheel would have made way better results. i didn't even have a vise i used my lap. it kept flyin off my lap.

I also could have done better if i could have got the oil filler neck out. i dont get the trick. i didnt feel any tab in the hole to push.

if anyone knows please post the trick

Last edited by ssdungeon; 07-19-2018 at 03:59 PM. Reason: adding pics
Old 07-20-2018, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

polishing is something i have never attempted. Each time you'll get better and better I'm sure.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:35 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 345 Likes on 237 Posts

Aluminum is soft. You can get those to shine and get rid of the maring by wet sanding with 2000 grit then go to 2500 then 3000 grit. Finish with a aluminum polish and a machine.
Old 07-20-2018, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's all about stair stepping your way to the fine polish.

https://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-buffing-kit.html

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First polishing job EVER