Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Brightest “blue” led bulbs? 98 Z28 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brightest “blue” led bulbs? 98 Z28 Camaro

What’s goin on fellas, first let me start by sayin IM NOT GOING HALO lol, I love the look don’t get me wrong I’m not bashing by any means but I just don’t want it on mine, I’m looking for the absolute bluest and brightest led bulb I can get, I want as close to HID as I can (like a 8000k just for example) pictures and brand preference? And BTW I have reviewed the ZXE’s & they’re not gonna cut it, they’re more white than anything and I really don’t want that, thank you all!! I’m installing in a 98 Camaro z28

Last edited by Dtoney33; 09-21-2018 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:47 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Most are around 5K-6K. (maybe little deeper into the 6000K range for a few) I haven't seen anything bluer. Also, OEM HID is 4200K. OEM LED is usually around 5000K (some closer to 6000K), but I haven't seen any real/official specs on them other than people reverse engineering them to find out which LED chips were used and reporting the specs of them.

As for LED retrofits into Halogen housings, they are hit-or-miss. Usually miss about as much as putting in HID (putting HID in Halogen reflectors is bad due to bad beam pattern). The end result for drop-in LED is often either an altered beam pattern or less usable light (due to not using the optics of the housing properly). Either way, it is whiter and people don't realize that everything may actually be dimmer.

If you really want to go the Drop-In LED headlight route. Stick with the style that has a thing strip of LEDs placed to match the original Halogen Filament. Even then, they sometimes need adjustment to get the best beam they can. This style is the one that has had the most success in using the optics of the housing to most likely produce a good beam pattern. Some get pretty close to the original beam pattern but of course brighter.

Its very housing dependent. Some housing look acceptable, some don't.

Here are two examples:

There are many other companies that have copied this style or made similar ones typically with various different heatsinks and packaging. Some have good alignment, some don't. Some have good heat management and LED driving, some don't.

Check threads in the LED section on HID Planet for comparisons.
(www.hidplanet.com)

I don't have personal experience with them. However, there are a few brands that people have liked on HID Planet. I don't remember which of the top of my head. There are some comparison threads there. The pics above are just for example of the design I'm talking about. Some companies out there really overstate the lumen output of their bulbs so take the rating with a grain of salt.

Also going 8000K or bluer is actually bad for night driving. In HID, they are actually dimmer than 4200K or 5000K bulbs. Also, that bluer light is worse for our eyes nightvision.

The bulbs above are for single-filament application like the 9005/9006 in the Camaro. However, some cars use dual filament bulbs like an H4. (like some Jeeps and older civics). There are Drop-In LEDs for them too. Here is one example:

Last edited by VIP1; 09-23-2018 at 07:20 PM.
Old 09-23-2018, 06:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing like ricing out an American car
Old 09-24-2018, 09:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 8.Lug
Nothing like ricing out an American car
nothing like an ignorant **** either, simply safer and more enhanced driving with more light. Trollin ***
Old 09-24-2018, 09:52 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VIP1
Most are around 5K-6K. (maybe little deeper into the 6000K range for a few) I haven't seen anything bluer. Also, OEM HID is 4200K. OEM LED is usually around 5000K (some closer to 6000K), but I haven't seen any real/official specs on them other than people reverse engineering them to find out which LED chips were used and reporting the specs of them.

As for LED retrofits into Halogen housings, they are hit-or-miss. Usually miss about as much as putting in HID (putting HID in Halogen reflectors is bad due to bad beam pattern). The end result for drop-in LED is often either an altered beam pattern or less usable light (due to not using the optics of the housing properly). Either way, it is whiter and people don't realize that everything may actually be dimmer.

If you really want to go the Drop-In LED headlight route. Stick with the style that has a thing strip of LEDs placed to match the original Halogen Filament. Even then, they sometimes need adjustment to get the best beam they can. This style is the one that has had the most success in using the optics of the housing to most likely produce a good beam pattern. Some get pretty close to the original beam pattern but of course brighter.

Its very housing dependent. Some housing look acceptable, some don't.

Here are two examples:

There are many other companies that have copied this style or made similar ones typically with various different heatsinks and packaging. Some have good alignment, some don't. Some have good heat management and LED driving, some don't.

Check threads in the LED section on HID Planet for comparisons.
(www.hidplanet.com)

I don't have personal experience with them. However, there are a few brands that people have liked on HID Planet. I don't remember which of the top of my head. There are some comparison threads there. The pics above are just for example of the design I'm talking about. Some companies out there really overstate the lumen output of their bulbs so take the rating with a grain of salt.

Also going 8000K or bluer is actually bad for night driving. In HID, they are actually dimmer than 4200K or 5000K bulbs. Also, that bluer light is worse for our eyes nightvision.

The bulbs above are for single-filament application like the 9005/9006 in the Camaro. However, some cars use dual filament bulbs like an H4. (like some Jeeps and older civics). There are Drop-In LEDs for them too. Here is one example:

thanks bud, appreciate all the time in the thread and clear explanation
Old 10-15-2018, 12:00 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought about putting LEDs in for my headlights as well, and I'm an LED freak. I've LEDs in this car EVERYWHERE there was a incandescent bulb before. But with headlights, I noticed HID bulbs still offer the best value. They're brighter and the usually last much longer. Especially if you get a better kit, like a Morimoto (TRS).