Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Can’t find info on fixing dash..

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2018, 10:30 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can’t find info on fixing dash..

Posting in newbie tech because I feel like this question has SURELY been asked before..but no matter how much I search I can’t find the answer.

The last thing needed to restore our 1998 Z28 is to replace the cracked dash.

I’ve found tons of info on repairing or replacing the flat hard plastic part of the dash (the part closest to the engine, usually referred to as the DASH PAD), but I also need to fix or replace the part of the dash right above the instrument cluster (and around the passenger airbag area).

So so far all my searching has only turned up a used piece for sale from a salvage yard. So I assume the part I need isn’t being produced and sold by any of the replacement part companies.

Other than covering the area with a cheap carpet dash cover (ugh), what are people doing to fix or replace the top part of the dash closest to the steering wheel?

It looks terrible, and the rest of the car is so nice! Help!

(picture is from when I had the windshield replaced)

Old 11-27-2018, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

You need to hit junkyards and ebay for a complete dash. Other option is to go custom with fiberglass or sheet metal. You may luck out on Craigslist, but it's a crap shoot.
Old 11-27-2018, 12:50 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bammax
You need to hit junkyards and ebay for a complete dash. Other option is to go custom with fiberglass or sheet metal. You may luck out on Craigslist, but it's a crap shoot.
Thats what I suspected. Actually, a custom dash made from fiberglass or metal sounds really cool. I need to find some pictures of what other people have done, and figure out how to do it or where to buy one.

Thanks for the info.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:48 PM
TECH Resident

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you, but not as extreme. My plan is to go custom after I deal with a few other projects and assuming I don't actually sell the car between now and then.
​​​​​​
I've been watching Craigslist for a $500 junk car with a good dash and sail panel just to get it all done at once. The rest would get parted out or scrapped to recoup the original cost. That's the cheapest option I've figured out so far.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:01 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Im in the same boat...actually going to pick up a dash tomorrow thats for sell locally and is cheap