Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Chalky intake and corroded metal underhood?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2018, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Default Chalky intake and corroded metal underhood?

Mother nature is doing her worst on my underhood appearance. Every aluminum part looks corroded and shitty. And my intake manifold is a bit chalky. Humidity sucks. 32k miles and always stored indoors. What can I do to get rid of the corrosion and sort of "polish" my intake for a lack of a better word. Armor works but it also attracts a **** ton of dust. Any ideas?
Old 12-03-2018, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 77 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by AnotherWs6
Mother nature is doing her worst on my underhood appearance. Every aluminum part looks corroded and shitty. And my intake manifold is a bit chalky. Humidity sucks. 32k miles and always stored indoors. What can I do to get rid of the corrosion and sort of "polish" my intake for a lack of a better word. Armor works but it also attracts a **** ton of dust. Any ideas?
220 grit sand paper, Acetone on a low-lint rag, 300DGF to off gas it, apply 2-3mil thermoset plastic, 380DGF to tack it, then apply 3-4mil clear thermoset plastic. Works great!

Old 12-03-2018, 02:52 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Assuming you still have the stock intake? I believe they are DuPont Nylon 66 material, I've always used 303 Aerospace protectant on mine. This has worked great to maintain a healthy satin finish over the years, and no greasy residue.

The corroded aluminum will be hard to fight when the surfaces are bare and humidity is unchecked. Some air circulation (or dehumidifier) would be helpful, but I also keep rubber lined carpet underneath mine in the garage to prevent ground moisture from rising into the engine bay or undercarriage. This has worked great over the years.
Old 12-08-2018, 07:31 PM
TECH Addict

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
Assuming you still have the stock intake? I believe they are DuPont Nylon 66 material, I've always used 303 Aerospace protectant on mine. This has worked great to maintain a healthy satin finish over the years, and no greasy residue.

The corroded aluminum will be hard to fight when the surfaces are bare and humidity is unchecked. Some air circulation (or dehumidifier) would be helpful, but I also keep rubber lined carpet underneath mine in the garage to prevent ground moisture from rising into the engine bay or undercarriage. This has worked great over the years.
Carpet sounds like a great idea bit could hold moisture and actually worsen things s couple of months per year. Downstate NY in the summer isn't much better than Florida....humidity is disgusting.

I'd like to know how to clean the aluminum and what mild spray I could use on the plastics underhood.

years ago on another car I would wrap vitals in plastic wrap and then gandwash the engine bay. I would then drive it for a day, then liberally spray the entire thing with armor all. If again drive it for a day, then wrap things up and spray it all down wits hose. This worked great but took a lot of time. I don't drive this car so it's different. Also, while I was pleased with my results in had to do it 6 times a year or som
Old 12-08-2018, 09:04 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,492 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Carpet sounds like a great idea bit could hold moisture and actually worsen things s couple of months per year. Downstate NY in the summer isn't much better than Florida....humidity is disgusting.
The trick with the carpet is to get pieces with a rubber backing, otherwise any ground moisture would eventually work its way through anyway, and also get trapped in the carpet (as you suggested). Or, if you are worried about moisture retention on the top side of the carpet as well (either from water intrusion or just ambient humidity), then you could simply use sheets of rubber without the carpet.

Ultimately, a dehumidifier is really the best option. I've started using one myself for the last couple of years during the worst months of summer, I run it pretty regularly in June/July/August now.

I'd like to know how to clean the aluminum and what mild spray I could use on the plastics underhood.

years ago on another car I would wrap vitals in plastic wrap and then gandwash the engine bay. I would then drive it for a day, then liberally spray the entire thing with armor all. If again drive it for a day, then wrap things up and spray it all down wits hose. This worked great but took a lot of time. I don't drive this car so it's different. Also, while I was pleased with my results in had to do it 6 times a year or som
Washing will probably be the best bet for initial clean-up if there's film/grime and such (and additional work would be needed on bare aluminum surfaces with any corrosion, though I'm not sure if there's any easy way to restore the original luster to all those parts while everything is still assembled). But after that it can be maintained with detailer spray, and 303 for the plastics/rubber.

About 15 years ago when I first bought this car, I gave the engine bay a good hand washing with dish soap and a soft paint brush, rinsed with distilled water. The car is rarely driven, and only on perfect days, so the engine bay has never needed another major clean up. Since then, all I've done is regular dusting (soft rag, detailer spray, electric leaf blower for hard to reach dust) and an annual treatment with 303 on everything plastic or rubber. This has worked great to maintain a factory fresh appearance after all these years, but I never had any corroded aluminum to deal with in the first place.
Old 12-18-2018, 07:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Installing a dehumidfier is essential for a detached garage or building