Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Update on T-TOP Divider Rubber Seal (Discontinued)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2018, 01:53 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,483 Likes on 1,067 Posts

Originally Posted by blk97z28
Bump, more and more people are saying, both are the same? Whats the verdict?
Hard to imagine there wouldn't be at least some marginal difference since they had two different part numbers originally. Again, the front one might fit in the rear location, but the fitment might not be quite as proper as original.

I've seen brand new cars back in the day that never had them from the factory ha.
I've bought four of these cars so far, two brand new and two used, and they all had them.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

from memory....since i cant find mine....yes they are diff......thats my story and i am sticking to it
Old 12-14-2018, 07:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump, more and more people are saying, both are the same? Whats the verdict? I bought 6 and with shipping i'm out $44 but sure I could sell a few. Mine has had the front seal but never the back seal and never any leaking. I've seen brand new cars back in the day that never had them from the factory ha. Hope this thread keeps going so we can see whats what for everyone envolved.

Devin
Simple solution, install the damn things and see how they fit. The "replacements" I bought years ago, maybe it was from TA Creations USA, they were sold as a pair front/back and you could not tell them apart! Were they the original factory end clips or were they aftermarkets of some kind, I don't know! I can take pics of my T-top bar with them installed, they both sit over the trim of the T-tops at the corners that mate with the T-bar and they both lock into the tiny rectangular notch in the top from their molded lips. You need to use adhesive to get them to stay put and because they are new they are hard and don't take to the shape of the T-tops easily but they will take shape over time and in the sun.

On another note, they are not supposed to stop leaking but they do serve a purpose of covering the seams between the front and rear of the T-tops when they are mated at the T-bar. Otherwise you have that gap where more rain water or snow can work it's way in. I suppose this is why GM designed them and I am sure you can find other ways to produce the same results, either welding metal end caps to perform the same job or using weatherstripping of some sort and getting it shaped to perform the same way as the original end caps.

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
from memory....since i cant find mine....yes they are diff......thats my story and i am sticking to it
I have my story and I am sticking to it!

Last edited by Phoenix'97; 12-14-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 12-15-2018, 10:18 PM
Coy
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Used the front on the rear. Worked perfect. Used a heat gun to kind of mold it to the sail panel at the back before I glued it to the bar, as the bend looked tight originally. Installed the T-tops. Looks like stock.

I'm gonna grab a couple more for future spares.

Old 12-16-2018, 11:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I don’t doubt that they’d work for both & back.
Jus’ sayin’, ..., they may not look exactly like the originals.
i’ll go out to the garage & see if I can locate the spare t-bar center panel that I have, but I think I took the seals off when I had it painted.
Updates to come, ...
Old 12-16-2018, 08:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i grabbed another set but from someone on ebay had a front and actual rear. the ONLY difference is the part is a little more rounded compared to the front on the lip. Solution line up a few of the fronts and use some scissors to cut the fronts to match the backs and make your own true sets. just a little FYI, does anyone have the thread on how to install them? I'm assuming its pretty simple?
Old 12-17-2018, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i grabbed another set but from someone on ebay had a front and actual rear. the ONLY difference is the part is a little more rounded compared to the front on the lip. Solution line up a few of the fronts and use some scissors to cut the fronts to match the backs and make your own true sets. just a little FYI, does anyone have the thread on how to install them? I'm assuming its pretty simple?
really you found them on eBay ? What do you type do try to find them on eBay thanks ?
Old 12-17-2018, 08:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Here are the actual photos of the seals that I received, two of the same piece.
And a side-by side shot of the front & the back seals on the t-bar center section with the seal still attached.

Seal 2

Seal 1

Last edited by PontiacFan; 12-17-2018 at 08:53 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 06:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Huh. Those are similar but not like the ones I received lol. I put them on today but didn't use adhesive yet. Thinking of waiting for it to be warmer. Mine have a weird zig to the long part. I'll have to post pics in a while
Old 12-19-2018, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's a couple pics. Similar but see the little piece that juts out? All of mine were like this. Again, they are kinda dry fit at the moment

Old 12-20-2018, 09:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Those look better than the ones I bought on eBay!
Old 12-21-2018, 05:55 PM
TECH Regular

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fabian
Here's a couple pics. Similar but see the little piece that juts out? All of mine were like this. Again, they are kinda dry fit at the moment

These are the ones I have on my car. The problem was getting them to contour to the T-top trim since they are so stiff being brand new. Another issue is needing adhesive to get them to stick to the T-bar. My job doesn't look as neat and professional as this with the obvious adhesive that squeezed out but it looks pretty close! These were offered from Trans Am Creations USA? Are these reproductions or actual New Old Stock that will run out eventually?
The following users liked this post:
jybravo70 (10-08-2022)
Old 12-22-2018, 09:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Phoenix'97
These are the ones I have on my car. The problem was getting them to contour to the T-top trim since they are so stiff being brand new. Another issue is needing adhesive to get them to stick to the T-bar. My job doesn't look as neat and professional as this with the obvious adhesive that squeezed out but it looks pretty close! These were offered from Trans Am Creations USA? Are these reproductions or actual New Old Stock that will run out eventually?
Yes these are from TA Creations, I don't know where he got them from. The front seems ok but the back is kinda weird because of that lip (which my stock units also had, so I assume these are legit GM pieces or at least made to replicate them). I did the best I could with it but again I have not used adhesive. I want to wait for it to warm up a bit before I do so I can shape them a little better. Also note the impressions left on the t tops where the old messed up units constantly applied pressure.

Turns out my dads WS6 didn't need these done, he has never removed his t tops. They have only been off of his car less than a handful of times when I removed them when we would swap cars for a week back in the day. So I suppose that's why. The more you remove your tops, the more you disturb those little trim pieces. And I also can't see these being terribly hard to re produce via 3d printing or a firmer rubber type material. I will attempt such a feat in the future....
Old 12-26-2018, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99 ss

really you found them on eBay ? What do you type do try to find them on eBay thanks ?
Brock's Camaro he had a old t-top bar that was NOS (new old stock), I purchased the t-top center bar with the end caps on it (they were ok shape). I ended up messaging him on Ebay and asking if he just had the caps, he did that he was saving for his Camaro. He sold them to me for $100 for the pair, there is a guy on here wanting to make copies of them. I told him I'd send him my NOS originals for free if I could in exchange have 2-3 full sets once the copies are done plus my original set back.

Thinking of it, I might see if that t-top bar is still for sale and buy that too, might need another center bar sometime.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

These are new old stock, Jeff at TA creations bought all of the fronts GM had left, He sold me 6 and told me that was the limit I could buy (so 3 full sets). He charged me $6 per seal.

@Raleigh TA here on LS1tech, is looking to make copies of the originals.

I have some brand new in a GM bag from Brock's Camaro on Ebay (he sold his last true set to me).

I'd be willing to send my original set off to someone to make reproductions in exchange for 2-3 full sets for myself plus my originals back.

Let me know if anyone is interested.

Devin
Old 12-31-2018, 06:12 PM
TECH Junkie

10248550 CAP-RF/WD (This is the front one)
10248551 CAP-RF/WD (This is the rear one)
So these units sold by TACreations are only the 10248551, as the package that has arrived are all identical.

And not that I like to complain, but this again, is still not as the OE GM seals, that were two different profiles.
But what the hell, at least I've got spare parts now, ...
Old 12-31-2018, 06:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by PontiacFan
So these units sold by TACreations are only the 10248551, as the package that has arrived are all identical.

And not that I like to complain, but this again, is still not as the OE GM seals, that were two different profiles.
Thats so weird because the front fit MUCH better than the rear did. Lol
Old 12-31-2018, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by PontiacFan

People had made the ones from TA creations work. Also for 6 bux each I can't complain, Someone was willing to make copies and i've offered my set up for someone to make a set with.
Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

UPDATE!

$40 per set for front and rear, we FINALLY found someone to make them! We is planning to make more items and different hard to find things!

He has 100+ sets in stock!

just got myself 3!

Last edited by blk97z28; 06-24-2019 at 09:06 PM.
Old 06-25-2019, 03:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

i was right........front and back ARE different....told ya !!!