Go Back  LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion > CHASSIS, SUSPENSION, APPEARANCE > Appearance & Detailing
Reload this Page >

Sun visors are starting to slowly drop down while driving......any easy fix?

Notices
Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Sun visors are starting to slowly drop down while driving......any easy fix?

 
Old 01-16-2019, 01:17 AM
  #1  
Banned
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 11,291
Default Sun visors are starting to slowly drop down while driving......any easy fix?

This just started about 3-4 months ago. I have to keep reaching over to the passenger sun visor and push it back up. Drivers side also does it.

Not bad after 20 years....

Do I need new ones or can they be fixed?

I haven't taken them off to see what can possibly be done to fix the tension......

.
LS6427 is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 12:58 PM
  #2  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 716
Default

The main rod has a flat notch cut into it. There's a metal clip that wraps around the rod and is attached to the board. When the visor is up the clip drops into the notch and holds everything in place. When the visor is down the clip gets stretched around the rod and provides the tension to keep the visor in position. If the clip isn't in line with the notch, or the clip is all stretched out, the visor will drop from vibration and gravity.

If you run your fingers down the rod you can probably feel the clip a few inches from the mount. Once you find the clip you can try to squeeze it with pliers and see if it works. The pliers may damage the cloth though so it's a risky fix.
bammax is offline  
Old 01-16-2019, 10:51 PM
  #3  
Banned
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 11,291
Default

Originally Posted by bammax View Post
The main rod has a flat notch cut into it. There's a metal clip that wraps around the rod and is attached to the board. When the visor is up the clip drops into the notch and holds everything in place. When the visor is down the clip gets stretched around the rod and provides the tension to keep the visor in position. If the clip isn't in line with the notch, or the clip is all stretched out, the visor will drop from vibration and gravity.

If you run your fingers down the rod you can probably feel the clip a few inches from the mount. Once you find the clip you can try to squeeze it with pliers and see if it works. The pliers may damage the cloth though so it's a risky fix.
I need to replace the cloth on both visors anyway. I'll try to remove them tomorrow.

Thanks.

.
LS6427 is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 11:02 AM
  #4  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 716
Default

I have one sitting in my garage in pieces. I completely disassembled it to build a custom setup and then just wandered away lol

The mirror housing on the passenger side is plastic welded to the board. You need to gently try to pull the fabric out from under the mirror to keep things from breaking. I haven't the foggiest idea of how to put new fabric under there.
bammax is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 09:53 PM
  #5  
Banned
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 11,291
Default

Originally Posted by bammax View Post
I have one sitting in my garage in pieces. I completely disassembled it to build a custom setup and then just wandered away lol

The mirror housing on the passenger side is plastic welded to the board. You need to gently try to pull the fabric out from under the mirror to keep things from breaking. I haven't the foggiest idea of how to put new fabric under there.

Oh damn....I figured headliner shops would just redo the cloth on them while they were doing the headliner.

We'll see....I still have to get it off.

.
LS6427 is offline  
Old 01-17-2019, 11:31 PM
  #6  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 716
Default

Originally Posted by LS6427 View Post
Oh damn....I figured headliner shops would just redo the cloth on them while they were doing the headliner.

We'll see....I still have to get it off.

.
Definitely farm out the job. Let it be someone else's problem.
bammax is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 03:48 PM
  #7  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (12)
 
1bdbrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 1,809
Default

I would just delete them. Hawks sells a pair of black billet block off plates that cover the original holes nicely. Plus you gain some extra visibility without them hanging down (even while tucked up).
1bdbrd is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 04:39 PM
  #8  
TECH Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Winter Haven FL
Posts: 716
Default

I yanked out my drivers side visor to rebuild and never put it back. I'd say about 20% of the time I wish I had it back in the car. Once I get around to the tint I'll throw a strip across the top and hopefully that'll fix the 20% problem.
bammax is offline  
Old 01-21-2019, 05:27 PM
  #9  
Banned
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: South Florida
Posts: 11,291
Default

Originally Posted by 1bdbrd View Post
I would just delete them. Hawks sells a pair of black billet block off plates that cover the original holes nicely. Plus you gain some extra visibility without them hanging down (even while tucked up).
Huh....maybe. I cannot remember the last time I had to use them.

.
LS6427 is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 06:21 PM
  #10  
Staging Lane
 
GStam66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Buffalo, NY
Posts: 60
Default

Tbh I just removed mine. As long as you have a good pair of sunglasses you'll be fine lol
GStam66 is offline  
Old 04-26-2019, 09:42 PM
  #11  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (19)
 
Majestic9C1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 1,536
Default

I removed mine and used Hawks delete plates to cover the holes
Majestic9C1 is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 07:59 AM
  #12  
TECH Enthusiast
iTrader: (7)
 
Blownbayou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: South Louisiana
Posts: 602
Default

Remove them.... I made my own block plates from the stock mounts. I also installed the blue tooth phone mic for my radio in the driver side one.
Blownbayou is offline  
Old 04-29-2019, 08:46 AM
  #13  
TECH Fanatic
iTrader: (34)
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: OH
Posts: 1,297
Default

I bought some cheap plastic fleabay delete plates. Problem solved
5.7stroker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: