Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

LED turn signals/ digital flasher behaving strangely

Old 03-08-2019, 04:09 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default LED turn signals/ digital flasher behaving strangely

I'm having some annoying lighting issues with a 94 Camaro I picked up a couple months ago.

The front turn signals had been changed out for clear housings and LEDs. Essentially they work when they want to, or about half the time. The flasher thats currently installed is the CF12ANL-01. I did some digging and can't find if its supposed to make a clicking sound because this one doesn't when the signals are working.

Hazards work fine, out of curiosity I tried an OEM flasher and the lights stayed lit without blinking. It seems like the flasher I have is only for full LED setups? Why does it only work half the time? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Old 03-15-2019, 11:37 AM
Launching!

That's not going to make a clicking sound since it's electronic. No relay inside to do the clicking. That said.... you'll most likely fix your issues, either by getting a flasher that also has a third ground hookup, or adding some load resistors the the LED harnesses. Usually, you can find them prewires so it would be plug and play. Something like this >
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-15-2019, 01:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

there are 2 flasher relays 1 for hazards one for turn signals you need both swapped out. I have one adjustable and one standard "electronic flasher" I forget which one needed what.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:26 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by EnergyCC
That's not going to make a clicking sound since it's electronic. No relay inside to do the clicking. That said.... you'll most likely fix your issues, either by getting a flasher that also has a third ground hookup, or adding some load resistors the the LED harnesses. Usually, you can find them prewires so it would be plug and play. Something like this > https://www.amazon.com/HUIQIAODS-744.../dp/B07K2TK855
Thanks!!

I am thinking of just going full LED in the rear since I have this flasher already. If I order the bulbs, I'm assuming it will fix this current issue and I'll need another flasher for the hazards too right?

Edit: And just to check/ confirm, I've read that an EL12 flasher may work in the case of not having rear LEDs? Something like this..

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...=1324312&jsn=7

Last edited by nitroheadz28; 03-21-2019 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-21-2019, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If going anything led, change em all out including side markers.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by jlcustomz
If going anything led, change em all out including side markers.
I bought the car this way. Still looking for a proper list of bulbs I can use to swap the whole rear end out.

Can anyone confirm if I can use the same electronic flasher for the hazards since I'm assuming I'll have to change that too if I go full LED? Thanks
Old 03-24-2019, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts

yeah just get two No Load flashers for the turns and hazards..

check out Retrofit Source for the LED bulbs... the contacts on those (Profile Peak) are nice and thick and wont be easily broken or corroded like every other cheap LED bulb

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/le...ior-bulbs.html
Old 03-24-2019, 05:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

that is the correct flasher for LEDs.......other problems may relate to the quality of the LEDs themselves.......cheap ones are never worth it
Old 03-25-2019, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks guys. For the time being I ordered an EL-12 flasher to get the signals working, according to my research it should work with a part LED setup.

Priced out the full LED tail light treatment at superbrightleds and it looks like it comes out to close to $100 with bulbs and another flasher. Not cost prohibitive but I'm worried about having potential issues, have read a few accounts of people having problems after going full LED. Will upgrade after I get the current setup working, this is a beater I use often so I need the signals working.
Old 03-30-2019, 02:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28
Thanks guys. For the time being I ordered an EL-12 flasher to get the signals working, according to my research it should work with a part LED setup.

Priced out the full LED tail light treatment at superbrightleds and it looks like it comes out to close to $100 with bulbs and another flasher. Not cost prohibitive but I'm worried about having potential issues, have read a few accounts of people having problems after going full LED. Will upgrade after I get the current setup working, this is a beater I use often so I need the signals working.
I am pretty sure the wiring is the same for the earlier models. But I went full LEDs in my 02 and all works fine. I posted feedback in this thread with the flasher I got. Everything is still working fine til this day.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...l#post19340485
Old 03-30-2019, 03:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 214 Likes on 175 Posts

the reviews for that no load flasher seem to be mixed.........i have not had a problem with my CF12s in over 7 yrs
Old 04-03-2019, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Just a quick update for anyone who finds this thread that the EL-12 flasher works perfectly on the partial LED setup. Nice to have the clicking back, I'm sure I'll upgrade to full LED soon enough though.
Old 04-03-2019, 02:39 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by The Guz
I am pretty sure the wiring is the same for the earlier models. But I went full LEDs in my 02 and all works fine. I posted feedback in this thread with the flasher I got. Everything is still working fine til this day.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...l#post19340485
Do you have a parts list by any chance? What brand did you go with?
Old 04-04-2019, 03:46 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by nitroheadz28
Do you have a parts list by any chance? What brand did you go with?
All LEDs are from diode dynamics. XP80's for the larger bulbs HP5's for the small ones.

Search this Thread