LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Appearance & Detailing (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing-18/)
-   -   Easiest LED Fog and Low-Beam Option? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/1919142-easiest-led-fog-low-beam-option.html)

GStam66 04-26-2019 04:27 PM

Easiest LED Fog and Low-Beam Option?

Hey All,

I've scoured this forum as well as google for the easiest way to get some brighter LED's into my fogs and low-beams, but all I'm finding are either just the led bulbs themselves, or a LOT of custom work with brackets and whatnot.

What would be the most user-friendly way (with little soldering/wiring experience) to get some brighter LED bulbs going in my 2000 Trans am? I'm hoping for just a simple "get a wiring adapter and plug em in" kinda solution, not looking to cut out brackets or housings, or weld or anything.

If any additional information is needed please let me know, thanks!

Chris Paveglio 04-29-2019 11:29 AM

I put HID low beams in. I did some custom fab but just with some sheet aluminum, a couple holes, a little grinding, no welding. I did some soldering to attach new wire leads. I wanted a good looking, low-mod kind of thing too, but there aren't many zero-effort replacement bulbs that are good, have good pattern/no glare. Sadly popup headlights are a real PITA. So, be open to doing a little more work... the effort is worth it, IMO. I like the output and loo of the light on these. Just be sure to get a good projector or cutoff, don't get off-road lights that glare oncoming drivers.

My vid for tips and details on what I did:

GStam66 05-18-2019 07:41 PM

I'll keep that in mind if I have to replace the low beams, thank you!

With the fogs though, a few of the topics here talk about just swapping in 880 hid bulbs? Yeah the pattern won't be perfect but according to what I'm reading here they will be brighter?

I'm thinking of these ones, thoughts?
BEAMTECH 880 LED Headlight Bulb, 50W 6500K 8000Lumens Extremely Brigh 885 893 899 CSP Chips Conversion Kit

pdxmotorhead 05-18-2019 09:28 PM

If your installing them for function...
6500K fog lights are WAY too white, the back glare is horrible,, a 5000K ish bulb will help with glare.. There is a reason that real fog lights are Amber.. Not white.. Drive with a set of Cibie Oscars in amber with Eu spec fog lenses,, in the fog at race speeds.. You'll never go back.. :D

I did a 12 hour road course enduro at night and the fog came in, we pulled them off my jeep and put them on.. doing 125 in to the breaking zone without them would have been pretty scary.. Was scary anyway,, but it sure helped..

Oh and fun fact, LED bulbs wont keep ice off your headlights in the winter.. they will frost over.. Learned this with my EV last year when I switched from Halogen to LED...

GStam66 05-19-2019 12:19 AM

Yeah I was thinking more the 5000k route. I've been looking at both ddm hid and a couple brands of led. Really would prefer just a simple plug and play set up with no wire cutting or splicing, if possible. Also weighing the tradeoffs, durability of the led vs the apparently better compatibility with stock fog housings of hid.

I don't have to worry about the ice lol this car only sees the road may-october. 😁

GStam66 05-22-2019 01:33 AM

I'm thinking of going the led route with the style I linked to above. Anyone able to chime in if those bulbous heat sinks will fit or nah?

99Silver6.0 05-23-2019 03:58 PM

I always hear really good things about OPT7 LED lights on another truck forum I am on (not GM sadly). Was thinking about getting some for my car. Headlights first till I know their 894 bubls will fit my foglight housings.

GStam66 05-31-2019 02:46 PM

Quick update: I went with beamtech low profile 880 LED fogs from Amazon. They fit perfectly and are nice and bright! I'll have to wait until night time to test the pattern and stuff, though.

BAD2000TA 06-09-2019 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by GStam66 (Post 20103392)
Quick update: I went with beamtech low profile 880 LED fogs from Amazon. They fit perfectly and are nice and bright! I'll have to wait until night time to test the pattern and stuff, though.

So, what was the verdict on the fog lights?

GStam66 06-28-2019 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA (Post 20107422)
So, what was the verdict on the fog lights?

I'm happy with em. Much brighter than stock, good color, pattern seems ok for 30 bucks or so. I attached a quick picture.
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/ls1tech...57323eae7a.jpg

Just need to figure out how to get another plug and play HID kit for the lows.

wannafbody 06-28-2019 09:12 PM

LMC GM truck housings for low beams and pick a mini LED bulb.

GStam66 06-28-2019 09:40 PM

Originally Posted by wannafbody (Post 20116654)
LMC GM truck housings for low beams and pick a mini LED bulb.

That was the plan if i wanted to go with LEDs, yeah.
Doing some more research and comparisons I was hoping to go with HIDs and projectors due to the noticeable increased light output, and since BLS made a pretty simple to install kit. But since everyone's been saying he's not making kits anymore I've been looking into buying the parts of his kit separately.

k3000 07-04-2019 01:03 AM

It took me about 30 years to figure out to store my Firebirds in the winter. But then I'm not that bright. LOL :)

k3000 07-04-2019 01:06 AM

And I think I was looking at those LMC's the other day but I can't find them now. Where are they on the web again?