Notices
Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

4th gen firebird front end swap... but different than the usual one

Old 05-27-2019, 12:15 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4th gen firebird front end swap... but different than the usual one

So I've got a lead on a 99 firebird for a really good deal. My only problem is that I'm not a huge fan of the 98-02 fronts. I like the 93-02 formula/v6 front with the trans am spoiler and gfx.

That being said, I obviously know its pretty common to swap from an early front to the later one. In theory, if the 98-02 front will bolt onto a 93-97, wouldn't the 93-97 front fit on the later cars as well?

Is there any wiring or changes that need to be done? I know I obviously need the bumper, the hood the headlights and the fenders, and technically, it would just bolt up right?

I know a lot of people are going to hate the fact that I want to swap it, but the later cars have better engines and are better balanced. For what I want to do with the car performance wise, the ideal setup is a later car with the earlier front.

I researched this a bit before making this thread, but there really isn't much information on people doing this before.

Any help or advice would be great!

Thanks!
Old 05-27-2019, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

you would need to change the air intake setup because the 98 up cars had the clearance to use that LS airbox.. other than that it shouldnt be all that hard.
Old 05-27-2019, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

Biggest issue is going to be the headlights. If you find a guide on the LT to LS nose swap it should help you get it all sorted since it's the same thing but in reverse.
Old 05-28-2019, 12:10 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by bammax View Post
Biggest issue is going to be the headlights. If you find a guide on the LT to LS nose swap it should help you get it all sorted since it's the same thing but in reverse.
It should just be as easy as splicing the original harness with the connector of the early headlights correct? I've read that's all that has to be done to convert to the later lights, so like you said, it's just the reverse of the regular conversion
Old 05-28-2019, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've done this, swapped everything from a 97 T/A onto a 99 shell. It was a huge PITA. The biggest obstacle on the front end is the hood bumper mounts on the corners. They sit higher on later cars, and the earlier hood will hit before closing completely. So you need to swap them out for the earlier ones, or get fancy with some fabrication.

I can't help you with the wiring because I swapped the entire harness, but it shouldn't be difficult to pull the diagrams for both cars and splice on some new sockets if needed. The headlight motor connections should be the same, but the harness might not reach.

If you use a 96-97 stock WS6 hood, the LS1 intake WILL fit with no modification.

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: