Notices
Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Pros / con of after market steering wheel?

Old 06-11-2019, 02:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pros / con of after market steering wheel?

what are pros / cons of aftermarket steering wheels?

Details :
Car is 02 SS with usual aftermarket tubular suspension except with oem k member. Driven as weekend cruiser.

So after reading few threads in here, fbody steering wheel isnít favourable for various reasons like size, material, etc.

The wheel on my car needs a change. Looks and feels bad.

My options are to use a spare wheel I have in mint condition but I will need to switch my airbag and radio buttons to make it complete. Airbag in wheel isnít a big requirement to me.

Aftermarket brands like Grant /momo/NRG etc.

Are there any cons to going with a smaller aftermarket wheel?
What are pros of going aftermarket ?

Would I be giving anything up, besides obvious of airbag
and radio controls? I can easily do an external horn button.

Would wheel alignment be changed?
Does a smaller wheel need more turns vs stock wheel?
I know that changing steering wheel wonít change specs of the k member or cars oa physics but Iím wanting to get good use out of it and not just go through change for only aesthetics .
Is there specific size wheel I need to get thatís comparable to stock wheel?

Last edited by bad_408_vert; 06-11-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-11-2019, 03:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

None of my cars have a stock wheel in them. Change it out to whatever suits your taste. horn buttons come with most of them.
Old 06-11-2019, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

I went with a grant for safety. On the stock wheel I was hitting my knee on the back of it when I quickly jumped from gas to brake. If I changed the seating position to fix that problem I couldn't see the bottom gauges (oil, temp, etc) because of the airbag. Now I can see all my gauges and safely change pedals. With the Pontiac arrowhead horn button it doesn't look that far from the stock wheel in earlier firebirds.
Old 06-12-2019, 11:32 AM
TECH Resident

only cons i can see are what you listed, no more air bag and loss of steering wheel controls. i have a sparco 330mm swede flat bottom wheel in my car and love it, i don't care about an airbag and my car didn't have controls on the steering wheel so it was a no brainer for me. steering feels more responsive with the smaller wheel and the grip and over all feeling is much improved over the stock wheel. i also have corbeau fixed back buckets in my car so the smaller wheel helped with getting in and out of the car as well. imo anything is an improvement over the stock wheels that come in these cars, they are too big and flimsy

Search this Thread

About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: