Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Emblems, car covers, and car seats - Oh my!

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Emblems, car covers, and car seats - Oh my!

Hey I'm brand new to this forum (first post). I'm not 100% sure this is the right area to stick this so feel free to advise if I should move (or copy) this to another topic within this forum.

I just acquired a 1995 Trans Am. It's a 6 Speed T-top. It's the woeful LT1 but I don't care. 1). I didn't pay anything for the car 2). My kids think it's cool 3). It's a blast to drive. I also have a 1976 Pontiac Trans Am but over the years that car has become less and less "user friendly" when it comes to just taking it out for a spin. No air flowing through vents (black on black = hot), etc., The 76 runs fine but it's just not enjoyable to drive unless you're on the 1/4 mile strip. It's under restoration and the 95 is a "fill in" for now.

Pictures below of the 95.

I don't like the rear "Trans Am" emblem. It's black on black and unless you're on top of the car you can barely see it. I've seen Trans Am's out there of the same color that have a "red" on black emblem. Is this standard? It kinda makes me wonder if it was replaced. Furthermore, how hard it is to get my hands on a red one and how difficult it is to swap. I also don't like the red "Trans Am" emblem on the door. It would make more sense for that one to be black. Contrasting colors and all.

Any suggestions on a good quality car cover? I went to Summit and after plugging in all the specs of the car (including the rear wing, etc.,) it provided Summit Racing, SLP Performance, and Covercraft. I had pretty bad luck with a Covercraft years ago (extremely thin) but I may have just bought their "basic" version - I don't remember.

Lastly, I got this car (in part) because of the supposed ability to install a couple car seats in the bucket seats in the back. I grabbed my 4 and 3yr old car seats and gave it a whirl. I even used the basic (smaller) ones. Their NASA level pilot seats in the mini van won't fly. They barely fit in the van. Even with putting a rolled up towel underneath the car seat (front facing) that thing moved around so much in the 95 it was terrible. I looked on another forum and there's a reference to a GM "kit" that can be purchased that might help. Anyone try this? They were talking about another F-body so I'm not sure if it would work, here. My 3 year old boy is desperately wants to go for a ride in "daddy's red race car" and I don't blame him. He's too naive for me to clue him into the fact that a 1995 Trans Am with 290hp/340(ish) ft/lb on a good day is hardly a "race car" but it still has a beautiful growl and it's quicker than anything else in my driveway (including my 305hp Impala).

Thanks for the input!

P.S. If anyone figures out how to strap two front facing car seats into this car, plus a rear facing car seat for the one year old, and a pregnant wife up front - in a car designed to hold 4 - that'd be fantastic. I'm not opposed to using ratchet straps and bungie cords. I think I'm just going to have to take the 1976 Trans Am and the 95 out at the same time. Just have to figure out how I feel about my wife driving the 76

Old 06-16-2019, 01:16 AM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,484 Likes on 1,068 Posts

I can't offer any advice on the car seat situation; this is not something that has ever been, nor ever will be, part of the program for me. However, I do recall seeing a thread about this in the General LSx Automobile Discussion section some time ago. You could probably find it with some searching. There may have also been another thread or two about car seats in the Lounge.

But I do have some experience on this front:

Originally Posted by Jacob Garrison
Any suggestions on a good quality car cover? I went to Summit and after plugging in all the specs of the car (including the rear wing, etc.,) it provided Summit Racing, SLP Performance, and Covercraft. I had pretty bad luck with a Covercraft years ago (extremely thin) but I may have just bought their "basic" version - I don't remember.
CoverCraft is by far my preferred brand. These are premium quality products when you purchase their higher end materials in a custom fit application. I always buy their Dustop Series covers for indoor storage, and I've never had to replace one (only reason I've ever bought more than one is for use on different vehicles). I've been using the same one, regularly, on my '98 car for the last 15 years, it's still in great shape and does an incredible job of filtering dust. This cover is anything BUT thin, it's quite heavy (but very soft) and fits the car like a glove.

Many years ago, CoverCraft used to have a cheap, universal fit series that was sold in most auto parts stores. Not sure if they even still offer this, I remember buying them for temporary use on a couple of cars I had back in the mid-'90s. Perhaps this is the same "basic" version that you remember from years ago as well. Those were in fact pretty light weight (and light duty), decent enough for the price but certainly not anything close to the quality of their higher end materials and custom fit versions.

Hope that helps, and welcome to the site!
Old 06-16-2019, 07:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 148 Likes on 134 Posts

Congrats on the new bird! The emblem on the back was originally red but it probably faded from years in the sun. You can buy replacements on eBay and from other sponsors on this website. You can also buy vinyl overlays for the door emblems or spend more money and buy different color emblems.
Old 06-17-2019, 10:12 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run a Graco car seat in the back of mine with no problems. Put the seatbelt through the back of it and buckle it in. Is anything else to it ?
Old 06-18-2019, 02:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I would suggest getting a vinyl overlay for the back middle-taillight section. White would make it stand very nice!
Old 06-20-2019, 01:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My seat tbelt doesn't ratchet in the back. The "pull out all the way and release" method does nothing. So I can run it through the seat but the seat moves left to right six inches in both directions. Not to mention the top of the car seat can move forward way too far.
Old 06-22-2019, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Default emblems

google emblempros top quality emblems