Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Carbon Fiber SS Hood

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2004, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Carbon Fiber SS Hood

Has anybody seen this hood before ? what do yall think of it ?
http://www.rksport.com/product/p_01011105/view_detail
Old 11-10-2004, 10:12 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

RICE RICE BABY.....dudu, tch, dudududu, tch.........Vanilla Rice likes it!!! but not me. i have a C/F 3" raised SS hood, identical to the one on ARE's silver race car, but it's the type that is to be painted. that's the one to go with IMO.

later,
Dave
Old 11-10-2004, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like it alot I think I will be ordering one this winter but I will have to see if I can get it in 2 parts and only glue on the parts I need as I want to go to a Zues hood! A little to much money but I guess carbon fiber isn't cheap.
Old 11-10-2004, 11:27 PM
TECH Addict

would that hood be lighter or the same as a SS hood ?
Old 11-11-2004, 08:24 AM
FormerVendor

Fiberglass overlayed with some "carbon fiber", just like the honda hoods. It will still weigh around the same as an OEM hood. I am partial to real carbon fiber though.
Old 11-11-2004, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by VSGLS1
Fiberglass overlayed with some "carbon fiber", just like the honda hoods. It will still weigh around the same as an OEM hood. I am partial to real carbon fiber though.
my brother in law got a real carbon fiber hood for his neon, and you can pick it up and spin it on your finger like a basketball.....thing is light as heck....
Old 11-11-2004, 01:10 PM
TECH Junkie

VFN makes a true carbon fiber SS hood, available in lightweight which all of the hood is painted, and Cosmetic which the scoop is not painted. there is a thread on this with everything.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The glossy "nonpaintable" type of carbon fiber hoods would look really hot if you DID paint over it, paint like everything on the hood except some sort of stripes or even flames and then you'd have true carbon fiber flames... now THAT is unique.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i hate hoods that are not painted...painted carbon fiber is nice though
Old 11-11-2004, 03:01 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by jdustu
my brother in law got a real carbon fiber hood for his neon, and you can pick it up and spin it on your finger like a basketball.....thing is light as heck....
Mine weighs about 12lbs or so, I was walking around with it using one hand. It is stronger than fiberglass also!
Old 11-11-2004, 05:50 PM
9 Second Club

yup, mine is from VFN, and it has reinforcements due to it being a bolt on, and it's only 15lbs. a pin on from them is 8-9lbs.!!!!!

Dave
Old 11-11-2004, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

I always wondered, do small rock chips damage CF hoods? How would you go about repairing it if the CF hood was damaged slightly.
Old 11-12-2004, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

What's the point if you have to paint it anyways?
Old 11-12-2004, 08:04 AM
Chop-Foo Director

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
Weight savings, if you're looking for every last pound.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

YUP YUP Dee Carbon Fiber is light
Old 11-12-2004, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

i don't think paint would even weigh a pound
Old 11-12-2004, 04:07 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Scotty-Z
well, all race organizations have certain weight limits to each class, experienced racers know how to take advantage of these rules and they must, because the competition definately will, so when painting carbon fiber, painters know how to add the bare minimum which is why airbrushing is so popular with the faster cars you can add very little weight, and have a very exotic paint scheme, just think how much a can of paint weights then add the thinners/reducers cans in there too,
and in street racing every little trick(tricks) is used to throw off the competition, most guys are artists at hiding power adders and if you have a stock factory looking hood and no one notices it weights 12 pounds you may be underestimated and have an advantage, Its all in good fun but dont doubt for a minute, the fact that racing is a serious business and everone is there to win!
Old 11-12-2004, 04:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by vfntech
well, all race organizations have certain weight limits to each class, experienced racers know how to take advantage of these rules and they must, because the competition definately will, so when painting carbon fiber, painters know how to add the bare minimum which is why airbrushing is so popular with the faster cars you can add very little weight, and have a very exotic paint scheme, just think how much a can of paint weights then add the thinners/reducers cans in there too,
and in street racing every little trick(tricks) is used to throw off the competition, most guys are artists at hiding power adders and if you have a stock factory looking hood and no one notices it weights 12 pounds you may be underestimated and have an advantage, Its all in good fun but dont doubt for a minute, the fact that racing is a serious business and everone is there to win!
Wow, we need a "Standing Ovation" Smilie... well said, ma'am!

This post really sums it up, hardcore guys know the value of a single pound.

For the "Show" guys, carbon fiber is a point of interest for show judges right now, if it's done right and looks good (Just like anything else when showing a car). I really like the idea of the carbon fiber flames (would be even cooler with a CF Pin Stripe around the flames too!) would be really awesome.

Anybody remember the clear hoods that were semi-popular on the Sport Compact scene a few years back??? I saw one of those with a Tribal design painted on it, with a good bit of the design being left clear. By far, the coolest hood I have ever seen, and yes, it was on a Civic Hatchback...

I, personally, have a CF Fetish, I am a sucker for ANYTHING I can afford that is REAL C.F., I can't handle that C.F. "Look" crap!

Taco
Old 11-12-2004, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

definitely second that. If its CF and I can afford it, I'll buy it. I'm going back and forth with these photogenisis wrapped carbon fiber interior panels... it seems to look like CF but I haven't seen one close up enough to see if it really does or if it's just some design.

Quick Reply: Carbon Fiber SS Hood