Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Is Removing The Ugly Door Vin Tags Legal ???

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is Removing The Ugly Door Vin Tags Legal ???

Does anybody know if it is legal to remove the ugly VIN and useless info tags found in the drivers side door jams ?? Im doing a complete repaint on my Z06 and want to get rid of these fugly paper stickers
Old 02-03-2005, 07:29 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

I don't think it matters.

All that anyone has to do to get all the info that is found on that SPID sticker is take your VIN to any GM dealer and have the parts department run it through the computer to get a full printout of all RPO codes pertaining to that VIN.

Furthermore, GM isn't even very careful about placing those stickers on their cars. I bought my '00 WS6 brand new and it came with the wrong SPID & tire size sticker from the factory. Yep, it had a different VIN, it was from the car just before mine. My VIN ended in 030 and this sticker ended in 029. It was for a V6 Firebird with the Sport Apperance package rather than a Trans Am.....
Old 02-03-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RPM WS6
I don't think it matters

Furthermore, GM isn't even very careful about placing those stickers on their cars. I bought my '00 WS6 brand new and it came with the wrong SPID & tire size sticker from the factory. Yep, it had a different VIN, it was from the car just before mine. My VIN ended in 030 and this sticker ended in 029. It was for a V6 Firebird with the Sport Apperance package rather than a Trans Am.....
Old 02-03-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

All that anyone has to do to get all the info that is found on that SPID sticker is take your VIN to any GM dealer and have the parts department run it through the computer to get a full printout of all RPO codes pertaining to that VIN.

maybe your car is just a firebird in disguise
Old 02-03-2005, 09:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Awsome !! Off they come
Old 02-03-2005, 09:39 PM
LS1Tech Administrator

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,069 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by git_sum
maybe your car is just a firebird in disguise
LOL, yeah.

Maybe I could have taken it back to the dealer and demanded the differance in price between what I paid for the WS6 T/A and the "V6 Firebird" that I actually got!
Old 01-08-2006, 12:06 AM
Teching In

Do you know how to go about getting a new or reproduction sticker? What does SPID stand for? I have tried chevy, with no luck. This is for a C6 Corvette with no sticker, no one seems to know what happened. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 01-08-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

I'd at least keep the rpo tag
Old 01-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Banned

well, u better keep the sticker in the glove box or something. that sticker has your paint code on it. therefore if you ever get paint work, the body shop will have to do some searching so they can mix the paint. And you cant call up the dealer and give them a vin to figure out the paint code.

Quick Reply: Is Removing The Ugly Door Vin Tags Legal ???