Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

All systems GO for launch!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default All systems GO for launch!

A while ago I installed additional Fog Switches to control my line lock and power antenna. I figured I would personalize them a bit. So what do you think?

Switches off:

Switches on daytime:

and at night:

Red is for Line Lock
White is for Fog Light
Blue is for Antenna
Amber is for ASR

Yeah the OEM Amber is not as bright, but the picture really overstates it.
Now if I could just figure how to label the two extra switches so they look OEM.
Old 02-10-2005, 04:43 PM
On The Tree

Wow thats awsome, how did you do that?
Old 02-10-2005, 04:44 PM
10 Second Club

Where did you get the bulbs and what are the specs on them? (watts/volts) I found a similar bulb at radio shack and soldered it in my ASR switch after the stock bulb burned out. Unfortunately the bulb lasted about two hours before it blew. Looks good. If you really want to label them go to a hobby shop that sells model trains. They will have dry transfer decal sets with letters so small you won't believe. You would have to put them on a letter at a time though.
-Josh
Old 02-10-2005, 05:02 PM
10 Second Club

Cool set up. I like where you mounted your gauges too.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that is NICE. VERY clean.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Here's the info on how I did it. When I started there was a guy on eBay selling the kits. Can't find him now, but I ended up doing it myself anyway.

I used radio shack LED's. The red one is part number 276-307. 5mm, 1.7 volt, 20 mA, 3000 mcd (light intensity). I don't have the packages for the white and blue one, but they are also available at radio shack.

I bought resistors off eBay. The color code is orange/black/brown/gold. Think thats a 300 ohm 5% tolerance resistor. Hardly any load so a low watt resistor would work. I found this page on the net for calculating resistor needs. LED Calculator If your LED has a different voltage drop or mA draw you may need a different resistor. (By that calculator I may need more resistor)

Then I took the switch apart and removed the amber led. I then cut a couple notches for the new led leads and ran them to the posts. LED's are unidirectional, installed backwards they will not work. (Don't ask me how I know ) If you are looking at the side of the switch where the lead posts are - the one on the left (by the switch illumination LED) is hot and the one on the right (in the corner) is the ground side. LED's have a long and a short lead. The long lead is the anode (+).

The resistor needs to go in series with the LED. I did not try to put both within the switch, although they could fit.

After soldering the LED in place, I put the switch back together. On the wiring harness the light green wire is the switch light ground. I cut it and spliced in the resistor. Voila. My guess is these will start popping up soon

P.S. Radio Shack does sell a 12v red 5mm LED. It should work without a resistor. But I didn't see other colors in 12V.
Old 10-26-2005, 12:37 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know this is an old post but I just used it to re-wire my switches with Blue LED's.

I still wired some stuff wrong, went through a few LED's and learned the uni-directional thing the hard way but they all work now !

Thanks for the write-up !
Old 10-26-2005, 07:33 AM
Staging Lane

you can get LEDs and resistors from http://www.Oznium.com
they will package the resistors with whatever LED you purchase.
resonably priced also.
many different colors and sizes.
that is where I got the ones I replaced my switch lights with. One burnt out, and I just went with LEDs in all.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'm loving that interior. white face just really does it for me, as do those neat switches. Man i wish i was good at wiring, you can do such neat stuff!

Quick Reply: All systems GO for launch!