Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

rear bumper painting...

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 03:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear bumper painting...

hey i got all the info i need for painting my rear bumper on my t/a. the only thing i would like to know if any of you guys, took the bumper off the car to paint it? i would like to take it off to paint it seems much easier. let me know if any of u guys did this and how to's??? thanks

Brian
Old 06-13-2005, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Check your PM's.

Tom
Old 06-13-2005, 07:49 PM
11 Second Club

I didnt take mine off.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster
Check your PM's.

Tom
got it thanks tom, wow that is quite a chore to take that bumper off, maybee ill just paint it on the car thanks for the info tom

Brian
Old 06-13-2005, 08:20 PM
TECH Junkie

The only reason I'm hijacking is I'm planning to do the same to my rear bumper. I've been waiting for weeks for a single freaking sunny day! Weather's been bad. Too much humidity.

Here's the hijack: Has anybody seen pics of TA's with the front bumper vents/ducts painted? How do you, members, feel about it. I've found many pics by searching this forum but cannot find a single thread where it's actually addressed, not just mentioned. Specifically, I'm describing the fog light holes (not outside the bumper, but the inner walls of the holes) and likewise for the vents where the DRL's are and under the DRL's. I can't arrive at a verdict on whether I can dismiss it as a bad idea or consider doing it myself. What do you guys think of this? Also, for some of you who have done it, is it something easy to do and are you pleased with it?
Old 06-14-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by millionride
got it thanks tom, wow that is quite a chore to take that bumper off, maybee ill just paint it on the car thanks for the info tom

Brian
Yeah, that's understandable. I had my car in the garage while I was replacing the carpet in my TA, so I figured while I had the interior out, I might as well take off the bumper and paint it. The reason I took mine off was to get a good coat up inside the exhaust cutouts without painting my tips, plus I didn't have to be bent over the whole time .

bboyferal - I'm an LT1 guy, so I don't know if my opinion counts , but I have seen a guy with a LS1 TA do that, and I must say it was less than spectacular. However, I believe it was distasteful due to his poor color choice, as he had a red TA with yellow accents, the side grills were yellow, the badging was yellow, the lower rear bumper valance was yellow, and the inner fog light holes and turn signal holes were yellow. I would think that if it was done in a tastefull manner (read: not a blatantly obvious color) it might turn out decent, say a white or black TA with flat black or semi-gloss black openings may look good (but I'm partial to the flat-black look, I guess that rubbed off from my LT1 Z28's headlight opening ). Whatever you do, make sure it matches the rest of your car, none of this jibberish with red ram-air badges, chrome side grills, white license plate bird, CETA filler panel, yellow TA side badges, and then glossy black lower valence (sadly I'm describing a car I've really seen, though I'm omitting a lot of the other things he had on his car ). With a MRM TA like you have, I'd say if you went with black (although your car I would actually think a glossy would look good, you've got a great color that it would play off nicely) you should be in the clear as far as looks go. Keeps us updated if you decide to go with it.

Tom
Old 06-14-2005, 06:39 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Squirrelmaster
Yeah, that's understandable. I had my car in the garage while I was replacing the carpet in my TA, so I figured while I had the interior out, I might as well take off the bumper and paint it. The reason I took mine off was to get a good coat up inside the exhaust cutouts without painting my tips, plus I didn't have to be bent over the whole time .

bboyferal - I'm an LT1 guy, so I don't know if my opinion counts , but I have seen a guy with a LS1 TA do that, and I must say it was less than spectacular. However, I believe it was distasteful due to his poor color choice, as he had a red TA with yellow accents, the side grills were yellow, the badging was yellow, the lower rear bumper valance was yellow, and the inner fog light holes and turn signal holes were yellow. I would think that if it was done in a tastefull manner (read: not a blatantly obvious color) it might turn out decent, say a white or black TA with flat black or semi-gloss black openings may look good (but I'm partial to the flat-black look, I guess that rubbed off from my LT1 Z28's headlight opening ). Whatever you do, make sure it matches the rest of your car, none of this jibberish with red ram-air badges, chrome side grills, white license plate bird, CETA filler panel, yellow TA side badges, and then glossy black lower valence (sadly I'm describing a car I've really seen, though I'm omitting a lot of the other things he had on his car ). With a MRM TA like you have, I'd say if you went with black (although your car I would actually think a glossy would look good, you've got a great color that it would play off nicely) you should be in the clear as far as looks go. Keeps us updated if you decide to go with it.

Tom
Hey Tom, I am in your debt! Thanks so much! Funny you mention the glossy black.

My red is such a weird shade for setting up a color scheme, sometimes I can't even tell that I have black overlays on. I walk right up to them and I could barely tell they're black unless it's 12 Noon. So I figured, people have ripped me about doing the rear valance glossy black, but if I do it flat black, it will not even be noticed. It might just look like the red there is darker due to a shadow, etc. Also, heck, my wheels are glossy black, right?

So there it is. That's the scheme I'm going with for my TA: Black wheels, Black overlays, and Black valance (soon); MRM body and MRM brake calipers; and silver caliper brackets and silver lips (wheels). I will post pics when all is done. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks again!
Old 06-15-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Hey Tom, I am in your debt! Thanks so much! Funny you mention the glossy black.

My red is such a weird shade for setting up a color scheme, sometimes I can't even tell that I have black overlays on. I walk right up to them and I could barely tell they're black unless it's 12 Noon. So I figured, people have ripped me about doing the rear valance glossy black, but if I do it flat black, it will not even be noticed. It might just look like the red there is darker due to a shadow, etc. Also, heck, my wheels are glossy black, right?

So there it is. That's the scheme I'm going with for my TA: Black wheels, Black overlays, and Black valance (soon); MRM body and MRM brake calipers; and silver caliper brackets and silver lips (wheels). I will post pics when all is done. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks again!
No problem. I can see your difficulty in finding a good color scheme, that is an interesting color. I've only seen one f-body in that color (just goes to show you don't need much to stand out), so I'm with you on the matching all the blacks. Besides, which would be better: someone noticing your car from far away and then blowing it off? Or someone noticing your car, not really able to figure out what is different about it, and then having to get a closer look just so they can really notice the minor details that they would have otherwise blown off? After all, isn't it all in the details ?

Tom

Quick Reply: rear bumper painting...