Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Painting new front bumper - "fish eyes" ? - pics.

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2005, 02:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Painting new front bumper - "fish eyes" ? - pics.

I bought a new front bumper off of ebay. A company called autosdepo who has a very good reputation. I received the bumper in the mail, and broght it to the collision shop. They started painting and "fish eyes" were developing. This is a manufacturing error and not a painting error correct? The collision shop is a very good shop, they painted the side of my car and it came out perfect. Here are some pics.....

http://img230.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvc004s9xc.jpg

http://img299.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvc005s6py.jpg

Autosdepo is sending me a new bumper, this probably wont happen with the second one right?
Old 09-01-2005, 02:40 PM
TECH Addict

Fisheyes are a painting and prep error, not a manufacturing error. I'm sure the paint shop will be able to correct the mistake. Due to some contamination most likely.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:41 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought that was all in the prep work done to the panel. Poor prep=fish eyballs. No??
Old 09-01-2005, 03:15 PM
TECH Addict

That's what I said, poor prep, done by the painter. No one just takes a panel and starts spraying on it. It has to be cleaned, degreased, primered and then painted. Fisheyes are a PAINT defect, not a panel or part defect.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:17 PM
Staging Lane

poor prep =fish eyes yes.

it looks kinda orange peely too. again, bad prep.

i bought my car wrecked, i was 14 ( 15 now and its still not done ) i bough fenders, and went to get them painted, they were REALLY wavey. so i had to save up and get new ones. got new ones still dont have them painted ( lack of $$$ )

maybe it was just hot, or humid or something. but i cant see fish eye's/orange peel coming from bad quality bumpers
Old 09-01-2005, 03:23 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by parbreak
That's what I said, poor prep, done by the painter. No one just takes a panel and starts spraying on it. It has to be cleaned, degreased, primered and then painted. Fisheyes are a PAINT defect, not a panel or part defect.
The shop cleaned it very thurowly, tryed to paint, then recleaned, and tryed again with no luck. It seems odd that they can paint the side of my car just fine but have trouble with the bumper. Guy at the shop said sometimes the release agents that are used to remove the bumper from the mold sometimes seep into the bumper causing this. He said this happens to maybe 1 out of 70 bumpers.

Last edited by sabre81; 09-01-2005 at 03:29 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

fish eyes are caused by some type of chemical contaminate.
ArmorAll can cause terrible fisheye problems. (so can deoderant, ask my hubby)

I don't think you need a new bumper, it just needs to be sanded and painted again.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sabre81
The shop cleaned it very thurowly, tryed to paint, then recleaned, and tryed again with no luck. It seems odd that they can paint the side of my car just fine but have trouble with the bumper.
front bumbers are made from a plastic. Painting metal versus plastic is totally different.
Old 09-01-2005, 03:31 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Teri9672
fish eyes are caused by some type of chemical contaminate.
ArmorAll can cause terrible fisheye problems. (so can deoderant, ask my hubby)

I don't think you need a new bumper, it just needs to be sanded and painted again.
Well the guy at the shop did tell me he could repair it. He says an i quote; "In order for me to correct that problem I would have to completely strip that bumper and sand it down and re prime it."

The bumper came primed already from the company, and it was actually supposed to come not primed. I thought i was making out like a bandit when they sent me the more expensive primed bumper. Maybe this is karma
Old 09-01-2005, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

anything with silicone in ie will do it, it dont even have to be on the piece itself. i was painting a 91 rs camaro for my cousin, it was turing out beautifully, but i guy in the other side of our shop started to spray his tires with armour all and boom!!! the thing fish eyed terrible and i was on the last coat, i would just repaint it, it isnt the part

Quick Reply: Painting new front bumper - "fish eyes" ? - pics.