Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Inside painting

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Inside painting

Well I picked up some gloss black paint, to paint some of the interior plastic pieces. After getting home I realised I had no clue on how to prep the plastic
So how do I prep it, I assume clean with alcohol (get the nxt off) then sand smooth (what grit(s) to use for that? )
Do I need to prime? I got paint specifically for plastic
Help a fellow fbody owner out will ya
Old 10-01-2005, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For the best finish i would say get all the stuff off (NXT etc) scuff it up with either a scotch brite pad or something similar... then at this point you could probably just paint it.. but personally i would get a primer made for plastic and spary them with that first.. just my .02
Old 10-02-2005, 03:48 PM
TECH Regular

Go here and do a search. You will find what you need-

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/

best paint how to site out there
Old 10-03-2005, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Well I picked up some gloss black paint, to paint some of the interior plastic pieces. After getting home I realised I had no clue on how to prep the plastic
So how do I prep it, I assume clean with alcohol (get the nxt off) then sand smooth (what grit(s) to use for that? )
Do I need to prime? I got paint specifically for plastic
Help a fellow fbody owner out will ya
If you bought the New Krylon Interior Paint just Scotch Brite and clean with alcohol and paint. It's good Stuff,That's what I did
Attached Thumbnails Inside painting-my-interior-2.jpg  
Old 10-03-2005, 09:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NYC FRANK
If you bought the New Krylon Interior Paint just Scotch Brite and clean with alcohol and paint. It's good Stuff,That's what I did
Even though I dont generally like painted interiors, thats pretty decent, the only thing I dont like is the Harley floormats. IMO you should get some nice Camaro embroidered mats and then youd be good.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
Even though I dont generally like painted interiors, thats pretty decent, the only thing I dont like is the Harley floormats. IMO you should get some nice Camaro embroidered mats and then youd be good.

James
Old 10-03-2005, 11:28 PM
TECH Regular

use some harsh cleaners to get that out... like simple green or that orange stuff. that way all the oils are out... then scotch brite pad add one or 2 coats primer then your base coat.
Old 10-04-2005, 12:07 AM
TECH Addict

I washed mine with dawn and wet sanded them smoothe with 200 grit, primered the pieces and then painted them with about 3 coats. Took about a weekend to get it just perfect but it looks like a million bucks now and well worth the effort imo.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Talking

Originally Posted by Z28-CTYHNTR
LOL ! I know they gotta Go. My old lady bought them for me X-mas last year and I had to put E'm In. I do want to get some Nice Embriodered Mats. Black with red piping and a bowtie in the center.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by howierd42
I washed mine with dawn and wet sanded them smoothe with 200 grit, primered the pieces and then painted them with about 3 coats. Took about a weekend to get it just perfect but it looks like a million bucks now and well worth the effort imo.
Got any pics of the results man?

Quick Reply: Inside painting