Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

crease in my US exotics *just painted* hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crease in my US exotics *just painted* hood

ok so i got my hood back from the paintshop withall those dents dimples and swirls all over it, apparently they had to "refinish" it with a new coat of something epoxy but then he said that because the holes (that caused the dimples) went through the entire hood, they couldnt fix it.. doesnt make sense to me since they said they refnished it but whatever, anyways now there is a crease in the hood growing in size... not sure what to do about it, kinda seems like a lost cause now.. anyways here is the picture, also, anyone else who bought a fiberglass hood, are the stock hood latch and hood struts ok for the glass or are they too strong, the dude at the shop told me to get weaker struts or they will tear the hood in half eventually, crack it... i just took one of the struts off and it seems fine but im afraid of torquing it or something... the crease isnt on the same side that i have the single strut on if that makes any difference, it was happening before i removed the strut i think... should i call up roger?

Old 10-02-2005, 07:28 PM
11 Second Club

That sucks because my SS hood is 'glass too.....and its hard to push shut with those struts being so strong!! I'm afraid ill break it or crack it......
Old 10-02-2005, 07:34 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

Originally Posted by CarrotcarZ
That sucks because my SS hood is 'glass too.....and its hard to push shut with those struts being so strong!! I'm afraid ill break it or crack it......
use just one strut and should be perfect
Old 10-02-2005, 07:53 PM
TECH Regular

Do the broomstick mod to your hood. I got a us exoctics ws9 hood from roger a year ago. I just now finally got it to sit down flat I couldn't figure out what was causing the drivers side to warp up. I found out it was hitting the airbox assembly with the whisper lid. I took the lid off and closed the hood problem fixed. Seriously though i have been through 3 glass hoods and for this one I have no hood struts on it. I use the broomstick whenever i need to get under the hood. Or you can go to autozone and look for I beleive they are 96-02 Grandam struts. They are weaker and they are supposed to work on th f-body or so I read. Can't find the source right now so don't quote me on this. I have cracked a hood from VFN with the stock struts before. I closed the hood one day after a hot afternoon of it sitting open went to grab it and close and SNAP broke the hood clean in half. VFN never covered me for warranty because they said I was in an accident Bloody Bastards
Old 10-02-2005, 08:05 PM
On The Tree

any ideas what this crease lookin thing is? is it caused by those struts? cause im running only one strut right now...
Old 10-03-2005, 07:49 AM
11 Second Club

thanks guys......
Old 10-03-2005, 08:09 AM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive got a WS9 Outlaw and havent had any of the problems youve had. Theres no creasing whatsoever and mines been on for 2 months. The body shop you went to is garbage.
Old 10-05-2005, 03:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The crease looks like cracking gelcoat. It's kinda like really thick primer laid over the composite to allow a smooth finish. If it begins to lift from the fiberglass, you, and your hood, are both hosed.

If that's what it is, it's only a matter of time until that baby splits open and starts spreading like crazy. If you can feel it "give" when you press around this area... that's probably what it is, and it's bad news, man, bad news. Be careful not to press too hard because if that's what it is, the gelcoat and primer and paint along with it will crack.

I had a similar problem with an SLP hood, and was left in a 2 way finger point between SLP. SLP saying the hood wasn't prepped correctly, paintshop saying it was bad gelcoat, me saying fix my gd hood!!!

I'd be all over the paintshop like as quickly and as aggresively as possible. Sounds like you picked a bad place. Sorry.

Oh, and using one strut is a bad idea because it'll twist the hood and put alot more stress on the strut attachment area. There is no reason you shouldn't be able to use factory hardware - but either go two struts or broomstick. Don't use one.
Old 10-09-2005, 06:48 PM
On The Tree

i pushed on it but it doesnt move or anything... i wonder what this could be? some of the cracks look like shapes cut into the hood on the underside... others done really look like anything in particular.. they are just weird crease things... none of them are cracking yet..
Old 10-09-2005, 11:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Try taking it to a different bodyshop for another professional opinion. That way you will be armed with more knowledge about who to try to stick it tp, the bodyshop that screwed you or US exotics.
James
Old 10-10-2005, 02:13 AM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by darkecho
i pushed on it but it doesnt move or anything... i wonder what this could be? some of the cracks look like shapes cut into the hood on the underside... others done really look like anything in particular.. they are just weird crease things... none of them are cracking yet..
I am just guessing here but It might be that the hood was bonded together with a materical that is srinking, causing the print through on the hood's upper part. Does that area feel low in places where it shows the worst? Just trying to be of help. Rex
Old 10-10-2005, 10:57 AM
On The Tree

i actually cannot "feel" the crease when i go over it with my hand, which is weird too... this is a US exotics hood too, i was under the impression that Roger did super-quality stuff and from what everyone is saying, thats what they have xperienced.

and i left this hood on for at least 4 months before getting it painted, just sitting on my car, possibly longer than that. so the gel coat DEFINATELy had plenty of time to cure. it was black gel coat and my car is black so it wasnt that noticeable..

could letting it cure for too long without being painted cause any problems?

the shop i took it to said that the gel coat was extremely thing and so they had to do something with epoxy or some **** i dont know exactly what it was, but they said they had to fix the thin gel coat and it had something to do with adding another layer of something to do with epoxy, lol sorry I cant be more clear about that. im trying to get in touch with roger about it and see what he thinks then ill be calling up teh shop to find out exactly what they did.
Old 10-10-2005, 03:52 PM
R.I.P. November 11, 2007

Originally Posted by darkecho
i actually cannot "feel" the crease when i go over it with my hand, which is weird too... this is a US exotics hood too, i was under the impression that Roger did super-quality stuff and from what everyone is saying, thats what they have xperienced.

and i left this hood on for at least 4 months before getting it painted, just sitting on my car, possibly longer than that. so the gel coat DEFINATELy had plenty of time to cure. it was black gel coat and my car is black so it wasnt that noticeable..

could letting it cure for too long without being painted cause any problems?

the shop i took it to said that the gel coat was extremely thing and so they had to do something with epoxy or some **** i dont know exactly what it was, but they said they had to fix the thin gel coat and it had something to do with adding another layer of something to do with epoxy, lol sorry I cant be more clear about that. im trying to get in touch with roger about it and see what he thinks then ill be calling up teh shop to find out exactly what they did.
No way that curing it too long would be a problem. Say a blue boat, it is just blue gelcoat. I am now wondering what the body shop might have put on the hood and if it was cured before paint. Strange things can happen with no one wanting to accept responsibilty . Do you have any photos of the hood before paint ? Rex
Old 10-10-2005, 05:04 PM
On The Tree

oh man, if theres anything that i have way too much of, its pictures of my car. I will find a bunch that have the hood in them and see if these lines are there, as far as i know, they are not, knowing how **** i am, i would have noticed them. I will get some pix together and post em up.

So if over-curing doesnt have any effect, and the hood never showed these peoblems before, maybe theres a good chance that its due to whatever the shop did. I am going to call the shop and ask him to explain to me exactly what they did. Whatever they did, they let it cure for one day and then painted... I will have to speak with the paint shop...why cant people do **** right the first time?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:15 PM
On The Tree

here is another shot of the crease/vein in the hood...

i have recently removed both hood struts and am using a stick to prop up the hood... i am going to go check to see if there is any evidence under the hood that it might be a fiberglass issue...
Old 10-10-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Resident

The guy who owned my car prior to me and had the WS6 hood installed the shop took out the old struts and put in the old school metal hood prop in, they told him they were too strong and could cause damage to the paint/hood.

Wierd thing is, they either filled the lines in around the nostrils or they came smooth because it's just a completely smooth nostril edge..