Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Bought a CME, now I've got some questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2006, 09:14 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Bought a CME, now I've got some questions

I got the valence off of Ebay for a great price considering it's already painted my stock color. In the picture it shows a tab in the center of the back and two out to the end of the sides. My first question concerns mounting the valance. What all is involved and can/should I do it myself? I'm guessing you have to drill holes to match up to those tabs but what else is involved, double sided tape? Second question is about the tips as I'll have to buy those separate. I've heard about the stock ones sagging and bending if not reinforced. I remember seeing polished ones as well but I can't find 'em using Google now. Anyone got a link perhaps? I'm planning on hooking straight into the stock SS exhaust for now, is that going to be a problem? Eventually I want something a little more aggressive sounding but not too loud as my car's a droptop. Any input would be appreciated.
Old 01-28-2006, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The CME tips have had a problem with cracking between the two tips. A welded-in support brace WILL be in your best interest. Weld the brace directly between the two tips. As far a mounting procedures go, I have heard that 3M tape works the best when putting on the valence, but I am not sure about the holes you are talking about. I am sure there is someone else out there who can help you more than me so check with a few more people before the install. I will try to find some of the links to write- ups.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info on the tips. I'll attach a pic of the valence I bought with what I believe are mounting tabs. I can't be sure until I get it though obviously.
Attached Thumbnails Bought a CME, now I've got some questions-24_1_b.jpg  
Old 01-28-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, so you bought the dual tip CME, great choice. I think that you can use push rivets on the mounting tabs but I would try, if at all possible, to find a way to just use the 3M tape and not even use the mounting tabs.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:36 PM
Staging Lane

Look at the bottom of the back of the back wheel wells and you will see a little plastic pine tree fastener that holds the bumper cover to the car, the tabs on the valence have holes that line up with the holes in your bumper cover. Remove the fasteners from the bumper cover, put the valence in place and then put the stock fasteners back in. The tab in the middle of the valence will need a fastener similar to the fasteners on the sides and will require you to get under the car and drill a small hole in the bumber cover. Make sure you drill that hole correctly before you get your tips welded into place. The stock tips will be fine with a second reinforcement bar, and you can polish, paint, or powdercoat them however you would like. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions about your CME
Old 01-28-2006, 02:39 PM
On The Tree

I looked at the two piece designed one with quad tips but I don't care for the looks of that one. Can I just purchase the kind of 3M tape I need at Autozone or someplace like that?
Old 01-28-2006, 02:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes, the 3M tape should be available at the Zone and if they do not have it, im sure they would know someone who does have it.
Old 01-28-2006, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dserby1
Look at the bottom of the back of the back wheel wells and you will see a little plastic pine tree fastener that holds the bumper cover to the car, the tabs on the valence have holes that line up with the holes in your bumper cover. Remove the fasteners from the bumper cover, put the valence in place and then put the stock fasteners back in. The tab in the middle of the valence will need a fastener similar to the fasteners on the sides and will require you to get under the car and drill a small hole in the bumber cover. Make sure you drill that hole correctly before you get your tips welded into place. The stock tips will be fine with a second reinforcement bar, and you can polish, paint, or powdercoat them however you would like. Feel free to PM if you have any other questions about your CME
Sweet, thats the kind of info I was looking for. Would you recommend using the tape as well as the stock fasteners or will they work fine by themselves? I'm torn on the tips. I found some stainless ones on Ebay but the guy wants like 225 for them and I don't think they're worth that much. Also, I can't seem to find the stock tips for sale by themselves. Any suggestions on where to look for them? Thanks again for the info.
Old 01-30-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Regular

I am installing mine today as well i went ahead and used bolts with nuts instead of the plastic rivets simply because i do not trust them holding that expensive piece of plastic. might want to consider using bolts. i am on the my way to my exhaust shop to get mine welded in place then need to get it painted.
good luck pm me if you have any questions.
yes you will need to drill a hole for the middle on since there isnt a hole there for it. just drill through the bumper cover then put the bolt in there backwards and have it so the thread end is pointing to the ground because there is no way to get your hand back there.
Old 01-30-2006, 05:02 PM
Staging Lane

Instead of using any double sided tape I went with 3M emblem adhesive. I tried to use tape first but I couldn't get it to come out the way I wanted. The good thing about this adhesive is that it will hold the valence on no problem, but if the need ever comes up to take the valence off it won't ruin your paint at all. I got the tips from a site that at the time was a sponsor. I no longer see that site in the sponsor list, so anyone that would like it feel free to PM me.

Dan
Old 01-30-2006, 05:14 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the suggestion above about the emblem adhesive...if you use the 3M tape, it creates a small gap between the valance and bumper that looks like crap...FWIW, a tech rep from SLP also told me to use the adhesive instead of the tape...as for reinforcing the tips, SLP added the reinforcement to their tips, so if you buy a new one, it should have the additional bracing...here is a pic of mine with clear powdercoat:
Old 01-30-2006, 07:58 PM
TECH Regular

I Just got back from having my tips and custom exhaust piping installed i am not sure if i am happy with it yet. Havent really been able to check it out enough because it is raining here like crazy. But i love the sound. I will post pics when the valance is painted.
Also has any of you guys had it painted while it was on the car or did you have it painted off then car ? I am just c0oncerned about the paint cracking because it is so flexable.
Old 01-30-2006, 08:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the tips you guys. Mine is coming already painted my stock color, the guy has sold several he claims he got from the plant closing. I know it's coming from Canada at least. I'm glad SLP added bracing as the pic on their website still shows the little tab in the middle only. I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and get a new cat back system when I get this all mounted up. I should probably ask this in the vert forum though as I want something with a little deeper rumble but not so much I can't hear anything since my car is covered in basically a thick t-shirt. As for the emblem adhesive, did you put it all the way around the valence or just on a few spots?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:03 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BigRedZag
Thanks for the tips you guys. Mine is coming already painted my stock color, the guy has sold several he claims he got from the plant closing. I know it's coming from Canada at least...
I got mine from the same guy a couple years ago...at least he had the same story...the valance was new and the paint matches fairly well.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeh i got mine from him, but he is out of NBM but got it for 150 shipped. I think i am goind to use the thin double sided tape i wouldnt want to use emblem glue on my bumper. Yeh i can wait to get my ss spoiler and CME installed!
Old 01-31-2006, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 02Firehawk#614
Yeh i got mine from him, but he is out of NBM but got it for 150 shipped. I think i am goind to use the thin double sided tape i wouldnt want to use emblem glue on my bumper. Yeh i can wait to get my ss spoiler and CME installed!
You have the right idea about the tape...there are different thicknesses available and SLP used two different sizes when they installed them. The tape on mine is too thick and the gap is terrible...When I get around to the redo, I'm going with the adhesive or the thinnest tape I can find...
Old 01-31-2006, 06:44 PM
TECH Regular

has anyone painted there own valance ?
Old 02-03-2006, 03:48 PM
On The Tree

I got the valence today at work and I'm not happy. It was wound up in a box that I feel was too small. It was bent at the part that wraps the corners of the body but also bent at either side of the exhaust tips opening. This cracked the paint badly on both sides. I sent an email to the guy through Ebay stating I had pics if he wanted em. He replied right away and asked for the pics and said he would make it right. I know several of you got your valences from this guy, did your's come that way wrapped up in a circle and was there any damage to them because of it?
Old 02-03-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Regular

I didnt get mine from that guy but from another guy on ebay. I only paid $75 for mine brand new but it was just not taken good car eof had small scratches all over it. So it took alot of adhesion promotor and primer to cover it up. I just got mine painted and just need to put it on. If you need advise on painting it PM me and i will go over how to paint it yourself.
Old 02-03-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Mine was bent and placed into a box as well...I was a little alarmed at first, but I layed it out flat on the floor and it sprung back into shape with no damage to the paint...I remember being shocked that it could bend so much and not sustain damage...I guess I was lucky.

Quick Reply: Bought a CME, now I've got some questions