Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Anyone who's installed an aftermarket steering wheel come in

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2006, 08:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Anyone who's installed an aftermarket steering wheel come in

Hey guys,
I'm home!! Workin on the interior not all the stereo **** showed up!! Guess some will have to wait for the following weekend...Anyway, I need help hookin up my horn, and knowing whether or not to remove the coil spring pack on the top of the column, wheel is already off...
Old 02-10-2006, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

AIM sn is MxRacer476
Old 02-10-2006, 08:52 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by XxXTransAmXxX
Hey guys,
coil spring pack on the top of the column,
The clock spring? Yeah, you remove that if your new wheel doesnt have an airbag. The clock spring gives an electrical connection to the airbag.
Old 02-10-2006, 08:56 PM
TECH Resident

Yes, but my MOMO wheel has a horn button, and I am tryin to decided what to do with the black harness...I removed the clock spring, and air bag harness, but there are 4 wire in the black harness, and the adapter I have has a spade connector on the ring of the adapter, and another on the horn button of the steering wheel...damn MOMO adapter didn't come with instructions
Old 02-10-2006, 08:57 PM
Launching!

Yes, but my MOMO wheel has a horn button, and I am tryin to decided what to do with the black harness...I removed the clock spring, and air bag harness, but there are 4 wire in the black harness, and the adapter I have has a spade connector on the ring of the adapter, and another on the horn button of the steering wheel...damn MOMO adapter didn't come with instructions
Can't help you there. I hate electrical. I have no idea what to do
Old 02-10-2006, 09:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

And you still planning on doing all your interior in one or two weekends? Sounds to me like you're gonna be working on it day and night.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

You have to find the horn wire and put your own connector on the end of it to connect to the Momo wheel connector. I may be incorrect, but I thought those four you are talking about were for the steering wheel controls. There is another wire attached to a spring device that is the horn wire (located at top left of the circle). It's been a while since I did mine so I could be remembering wrong. You can turn the key on and ground the wires to find the horn wire. And yes, the Momo instructions were lame.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:12 AM
TECH Resident

Hey guys,
I dunno why I was talkin about the 4 wire harness...

CW00, did you take your clock spring out, and have to clearance the trim to the column for the adapter to fit. Also, The adapter came with a wire with a butt-connector on one end, and a spade connector on the other...The horn button has a spade terminal, and then a lil silver ring that the wheel mounts two has a spade on it as well...

I found the wire with the spring, it is off the old wheel now, but what do I do with it? It has a spring on one end, and the OEM spade connector on the other. So I basically have 2 lil strands of wire lol, and I need to know what one goes where...

As for the interior, I'm shooting for it to be done by the end of Feb. BUT not all the stereo things came in this weekend, so who knows...I put the dash back in the car, and cleaned all the wiring up, and what not...I got alot on the plate I should hopefully have some pics for an update on Monday when I get back to the apt. @ school...
Old 02-11-2006, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone?
Old 02-11-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys,
I dunno why I was talkin about the 4 wire harness...

CW00, did you take your clock spring out, and have to clearance the trim to the column for the adapter to fit. Also, The adapter came with a wire with a butt-connector on one end, and a spade connector on the other...The horn button has a spade terminal, and then a lil silver ring that the wheel mounts two has a spade on it as well...

I found the wire with the spring, it is off the old wheel now, but what do I do with it? It has a spring on one end, and the OEM spade connector on the other. So I basically have 2 lil strands of wire lol, and I need to know what one goes where...

As for the interior, I'm shooting for it to be done by the end of Feb. BUT not all the stereo things came in this weekend, so who knows...I put the dash back in the car, and cleaned all the wiring up, and what not...I got alot on the plate I should hopefully have some pics for an update on Monday when I get back to the apt. @ school...
Yes, I took that whole spool deal out. I had to trim up the column to make the adaptor fit. I modified the adaptor ring (the internal metal piece, drilled a hole through it) to allow the spring loaded horn wire through. Then I put the opposite connector end on one of the two so they'd match up. It was a real pain in the *** to get the wheel on right. But....It was worth it to get rid of the stock wheel--which was one of the few things I never liked about the car.
Old 02-11-2006, 07:14 PM
TECH Resident

Hey CW can you IM me on AIM real quick...