Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

auto body guys in here!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default auto body guys in here!!

ok..i want repaint my car...so went to get it looked at. the guy was real cool. he look at the car every little thing and he said around $2500 (i am keeping it black). i told him that my driver side tire sticks out of the fender a little. its missing 2 brackets that i am getting....he said the car was in a crash. it might need to pull the frame but he dont know for sure..only after he takes it apart he can tell!! now the cost is like 3000...is this a good price....i thing the car does not need to be pulled bcuz i know its missing the brackets and some little things! any help, tips and know how would be great!! thanks
mike
Old 02-11-2006, 12:38 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well if you are keeping it black then is he painting all the jams also? With black the jams will match the new paint unless they are just scratched to hell so i think you can find a good shop that can do it cheaper.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Uh I think that's an astounding deal considering I was quoted $7-8000 to repaint the car over the phone.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that a little high, you can probably get it done much cheaper considering all your jams, engine bay, and hatch are all staying the same color, sll they need to do is spray the outside.
Old 02-11-2006, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

they just need to paint the out side.....the james are in good shape....almost new looking.....and there is no rust to repare.......
Old 02-11-2006, 05:30 PM
TECH Addict

**** for that much buy a compressor and a gun and do that **** yourself. Theres are so many books and magazine articlles on how to paint your car yourself
Old 02-11-2006, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by camaroextra
**** for that much buy a compressor and a gun and do that **** yourself. Theres are so many books and magazine articlles on how to paint your car yourself
i can read a book about quantum physics, but i wouldnt try it out! j/k..not really. if they are a good shop, 3k is a good deal for the entire car with possible frame repair.
Old 02-11-2006, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nasty99WS6
i can read a book about quantum physics, but i wouldnt try it out! j/k..not really. if they are a good shop, 3k is a good deal for the entire car with possible frame repair.
lol. no a lot of people literallt buy a gun and start practicing, it doesnt take rocket science to paint a car, just patience and taking your time, and reading a lot about it
Old 02-11-2006, 07:06 PM
TECH Addict

lol. no a lot of people literallt buy a gun and start practicing, it doesnt take rocket science to paint a car, just patience and taking your time, and reading a lot about it
Patience, time, a LOT of money in supplies and wasted materials in the learning process, not to mention you might want a dust free environment like a paint booth. Other than that, what the hell do it yourself!!
Old 02-11-2006, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

The paint booth you can rent.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

i want a show car shine. i want it to look like it did when it came from the factory but better....and i think that price includes wet sading ...o and the front bumper and rear need to be stirped
Old 02-11-2006, 08:49 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

****...I painted my car in the garage. Studied a lot and asked my Unlce who is a auto painter for a living a million questions. Practice is invaluable!!! I will be redoing some of the panels as I learned from my mistakes. Most and if not all of the imperfections in the paint will be wet sanded and buffed out! Just don't sand much on the edges of the body or you'll sand through. I'm 99% sure it will turn out perfect the second try.
Old 02-11-2006, 08:58 PM
TECH Addict

it doesnt take rocket science to paint a car
Nor does it take rocket science to apply and remove a coat of wax/sealant...
Old 02-11-2006, 09:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Nor does it take rocket science to apply and remove a coat of wax/sealant...
hey hey so i put on too much z-5 and it took me 2 days to get it off,
yeah i know im an idiot i could **** up a cup of coffe. lol

thanks for your help btw
Old 02-11-2006, 09:11 PM
TECH Addict

hey hey so i put on too much z-5 and it took me 2 days to get it off,
yeah i know im an idiot i could **** up a cup of coffe. lol

thanks for your help btw
No problem.

On the topic - $2500 - 3000 isn't necessarily good or bad. The only way to tell is to take it to several different body shops/painters and get there quotes/feedback. Don't skimp on researching your decision.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

how much for paint? just the paint!
Old 02-11-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Regular

now is the 2,500 for a good paint job or a cutting corners, get the car in and out and pocket the money kind of job. I say if you come out with a car that has been entirely repainted on the outside minus all the jams and everything and it comes out just as well as factory you got a pretty damn good deal. If it looks like some stuff was taped over when it really should have been removed and there are some flaws in the paint such as some dirt, sanding scratches here in there, and excessive orange peel then you probably got what you payed for. To completely repaint a car on the outside it will run about $800-$1000 in materials alone depending on the type of paint used. It certainly isnt cheap to paint a car and there is alot of man hours that goes into it. Without knowing the shop personally and seeing some of there work I wouldnt feel comfortable with that kind of price because I know when it comes to a paint job, about 95% of the time you get what you pay for.
I think maybe you should tell him the direction you are going with the car. Would you be ok with some dirt or sanding marks or minor imperfections in your paint. Most people wouldnt care or even notice, they are just trying to make it look better. From the sound of it you want it to look good and wouldnt be satisfied with your car if it turned out like that. I would definately sit down and tell him this and dont be suprised if the price goes up. Believe me there isnt just one price to paint the same car the same color...it all depends on what the customer is looking for and how much they want to pay.
Old 02-11-2006, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 95formulalt1
how much for paint? just the paint!
It can be pricy, but black is one of the cheapest colors. My friend did his car black. It was just under $400.

2 Qt sealer
1 gal of Black (base)
1 gal of base maker (its mixed 1:1 ratio) and no we didn't use all 2 gallons.
1 gal Clear
1 Qt activator (mixed 1:4 ratio) Usually
Old 02-11-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by HotWhipT/A
It can be pricy, but black is one of the cheapest colors. My friend did his car black. It was just under $400.

2 Qt sealer
1 gal of Black (base)
1 gal of base maker (its mixed 1:1 ratio) and no we didn't use all 2 gallons.
1 gal Clear
1 Qt activator (mixed 1:4 ratio) Usually
what brand of paint and line were you using?
Old 02-11-2006, 10:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

i want it to look good. i had a car painted by MACO onces...for $700 looked good for two months then rust and i think there was a puubick hair in there some where....ok so there wasnt a puubick hair there but i think a crack head finger painted it....hahahahaaaaa

Quick Reply: auto body guys in here!!