Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Waxing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2006, 04:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Waxing?

Need some input on the best wax out there for our cars. My car is in dying need of a good wax and buff job! As soon as it starts to warm up its on. I was wanting to know what the best wax is for our cars. My car is black so I need something thats gonna make it shine. If anybody could give me some input it would be appreciated. Thanks

Brett
Old 02-15-2006, 04:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

lotta info in there, check out the sites 1/2 way down.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/263061-porter-cable-dual-action-polisher-faq.html
Old 02-15-2006, 05:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That question will open up a HUGE can of worms. All about preference. I recommend either Meguiar's Gold Class, NXT, or No. 26 or anything by Zanio. The Mother's stuff is good and I like even the Turtle Wax Professional Gloss stuff. Anything carnuba should be good stuff, but keep in mind that it is hard to take off.
Stay away from anything that says it has Teflon. That is nothing but snake oil. The surface of your car will never get hot enough for the Teflon additive to work. Big waste of money.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:19 PM
TECH Regular

Zaino or NXT
Old 02-15-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used mothers wax on this black zo6. and do it in the shade and use a buffer. its the holey grail for cars.

Old 02-15-2006, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

"Best" is a subjective term of the user and cannot be defined for you. Try several different products and see for yourself.

Your final outcome is only going to be as good as your prep work. Do whatever you have to do in order to remove swirls, etc. before ever thinking about what wax/sealant to use.

*My* favorite sealant is Zaino Z2 Pro, and *my* favorite carnauba is Pinnacle Souveran.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:01 PM
On The Tree

what do I need to do about getting out swirls and what not. Because I've been at school and really haven't had the time to really do what I need to do but i've got plans to do so as soon as it warms up.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Some type of clear coat safe rubbing compound and a rotary buffer will be your best bet. 3M Perfect-It II or III is what I like to use, or Meguiar's Diamond Cut or Swirl Free Remover 2.0 for smaller swirls.
Old 02-17-2006, 06:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

there are tons of good threads, on several forums. read them all, knowledge is good.

for a black car, I would:

Wash with a good car shampoo
clay
Meguiars #83 with a Dual Action polisher
Meguiars #82 with a DA
two coats of Meguiars #21 with a DA

prep is key, pick a good, quality product, and learn how to use it correctly.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

i used mothers wax on this black zo6. and do it in the shade and use a buffer. its the holey grail for cars.
Haha the BEST wax? Well lets see... There is black magic, meguires, mothers, zaino, nxt, 3m, turtle wax, eagle one, etc... u get my point.
It's not about the money, but about the amount of time spent doing the job RIGHT. That doesn't mean buying the best, most expensive wax out there and expecting it to have the BEST shine. A top coat of Zaino will look identical to a top coat of Turtle Wax. However, the cleaners, oxidizers, and sealants are what make the glass-look (like looking at a pond). The top coats are what gives SHINE to the glass look. Wax, sealants, oxidizers, cleaners, top-coats, all work together as a TEAM. Wax is wax, and I don't care who's name is on it. If the job is done right, with complete and consistent steps, you'll look just as good as a showroom Cadillac.

Now, as for SOMWS62001's quote, personally, I like the Mother's product line. It's not too expensive, like Zaino is, but it does just as good of a job, if not better. That ZO6 looks the way it does because I bet he put a lot of labor into it, and it shows. Here's what my bird looked like when I used the Mother's line... This was 10 hours of work, using everything Mother's had to offer, plus 2 extra Top-Coats. check out some more pictures at my site... http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2124422

Old 02-17-2006, 07:26 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for all the info guys ill post of some pics of my car when i get the job done. If anyone else has anything to say chime in please. I'm looking to know everything on how to properly detail a car. Keep' em coming!
Old 02-17-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BlackLS199
Thanks for all the info guys ill post of some pics of my car when i get the job done. If anyone else has anything to say chime in please. I'm looking to know everything on how to properly detail a car. Keep' em coming!
www.autopia.org
^^^^^^
These folks will tell you more than you ever wanted to know about detailing a car
Old 02-18-2006, 02:15 PM
On The Tree

ZaneO if you only lived in indy I would have you do it for me I checked out your site and some of your work. Gotta say pretty d*#n nice.. also i've been looking around at all these sites everyone is talking about I've seen that a lot of them have kits are they all about the same or are some better than others?
Old 02-22-2006, 10:28 PM
On The Tree

Any body else know anywhere to get a kit similar to the ones that are on here??
Old 02-22-2006, 10:51 PM
TECH Junkie

www.properautocare.com sells some good kits, including a Menzerna Starter Kit that makes an excellent foundation for detailing.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2006, 02:23 PM
On The Tree

been looking at some kits to buy but my next question is do i need to buy the portor cable polisher to help with the swirls and small scratches. Also I can't find a zaino kit do they have one???
Old 02-25-2006, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

ttt....
Old 02-25-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BlackLS199
been looking at some kits to buy but my next question is do i need to buy the portor cable polisher to help with the swirls and small scratches. Also I can't find a zaino kit do they have one???
You don't NEED to, but it will get you better results than doing it by hand and is much safer than many other alternatives on the market. If you're looking for a Zaino kit for swirl removal, they don't really sell one. Z-PC is their swirl removal product, but someone else will have to chime in on how it works, since I've never used it. Zaino does sell a kit for its sealant prodcuts: http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/...ory_Code=Zaino

It's an excellent kit, but pricey. Then again, the best stuff usually is.

If you're looking for a kit for swirl removal, I'd recommend this: http://www.properautocare.com/menpolandpad.html

Again, not cheap, but that kit, a Porter Cable polisher and a 6" backing plate (about $20) will be a huge step in the right direction for swirl removal.

-Mike
Old 02-25-2006, 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Thanks mike!!
Old 02-26-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Tropicare has some really good products......

John