Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Spraypaint fiberglass cloth to look like carbon fiber?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2006, 09:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spraypaint fiberglass cloth to look like carbon fiber?

If you look at the two types of cloth raw they look the same except fiberglass is "blonde" and carbon fiber has that matte silvery black color.

If I paint fiberglass a base of metallic silver and then some very light coats of semi-gloss black do you think it'll be pretty good?

Once I lay it up with the clear surfboard resin don't think anyone will know the difference unless I tell them.

It cost almost $80 per square foot of carbonfiber and fiberglass cloth is sooo much cheaper.
Old 03-06-2006, 09:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Where are you gettin $80 per square foot of carbon at? The fabric runs in the 2x2 5.7oz 1st Quality Twill for a yard x 50" for $36.50, and for a heavier 19.7 oz. 2x2 twil 1st quality in a yard by 50" it runs $44.50
Old 03-06-2006, 10:10 AM
Banned

Acutally I found it $33 per ft. I was quoting the wrong type. My bad. Mcmaster.com

Still fiberglass cloth isn't near that expensive. I'm asking about the feasability of painting the cloth. Any input?
Old 03-06-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

I'm not sure how it would look, I think you would be able to tell a difference tho possibly, then there's always a risk of the spray bomb paint forming a chemical reaction due to the heat of the resin hardening....I guess go to WalMart and buy a small piece in the marine/rv asile and try it before you buy alot...
Old 03-06-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

just get the real stuff. I don't think it would turn out very good. But what if you used a candy clear or a tinted resin?
Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

That's highway robbery. I pay $36 for a 3' by 50" section from suppliers, that is when you can get it, there is a shortage right now.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:30 AM
TECH Addict

The other thing is what about the paint cracking as you mold it to the surface you're covering and you'll need to check to see if the Poly resin will even stick to the paint surface and if it will re-act to it. I personally don't think it's a good idea, but give it a try and let us know.

Bryan
Old 03-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Banned

I was going to use a candy clear (black) with a metallic silver base, but I think it might just be worth waiting until the supply goes up on the real stuff. I want to lay up the the lower airbox and some interior pieces. I'd better just wait. Even if it comes out near perfect, when people say "wow, that whole thing is carbon fiber!" I'd be a poser because I'll say "yeah, nice huh."
Old 03-06-2006, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

(Hypothetically), if you lucked out and found all the correct paints with all the correct additives and everything was compatible in the respect that you didn't have any kind've chemical reactions or lifting or cracking in the finished product, the thing you have to keep in mind is that fiberglass mat isn't quite as stiff as real carbon fiber. When you actually went to lay the stuff out and spread it over the surface(s) you were wanting to cover, it would be EXTREMELY difficult to keep the weave looking "symmetrical." (Stretches, runs, wavy lines.) With real carbon fiber, this is already difficult as it is anyway. For sanity's sake, stick with the real stuff.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Also, dunno if you've ever seen any of this in your searches, but since everything under your hood is polished it might go good with the theme:

It's called "Hexcel Texalium." Aluminized carbon fiber. Pretty cool huh?
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/mark...rbonfiber.html
Old 03-06-2006, 02:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
Also, dunno if you've ever seen any of this in your searches, but since everything under your hood is polished it might go good with the theme:

It's called "Hexcel Texalium." Aluminized carbon fiber. Pretty cool huh?
http://www.robotmarketplace.com/mark...rbonfiber.html
Holy crap this is the best find so far this year!!!!! Thanks bro!!!

Quick Reply: Spraypaint fiberglass cloth to look like carbon fiber?