Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Any tips for a carshow newbie?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 09:28 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Default Any tips for a carshow newbie?

Hey guys, well i think i am going to enter a few car shows over the summer. Im pretty happy with my exterior appearance, underhood is getting done right now, im lacking a little bit o nthe interior with it just clean with a few things done like headrests. Now any tips for entering a show? Other stuff i need, tips that would help me out? Also i use all zaino stuff on my car and the paint is in real good shiny shape and smoothe as glass. Any tips to help me out with anything?

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 04-08-2006, 10:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hate car shows I always get points off for not having underbody neon lightin
Old 04-08-2006, 10:21 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

haha really? i hope not cuz thats not going on my car? Any thing for set up or around my car that would help me out? Also, what should i bring beside my car?

Old 04-08-2006, 12:42 PM
TECH Resident

What type of carshows are you going to be attending?

Cruise-In's:Usually held at restaurants and other businesses, open to the general public, most of the time don't give out awards, just a place to chill and talk to other car nuts.

Organized carshow: Awards usually given, can be judged by judges or by the public, different classes for different cars, usually bigger then cruise-ins, lasts longer through the day, other events going on through the day to keep interest in the show.

Muscle car/hot rod carshow: Many classes including modified and stock to showroom stock, pretty laid back since a lot of older owners are attending.

Sport compact/custom/mini truck carshow: The more flash/bling you have, the better chance of getting an award, it's all about "show", usually more chicks then the hotrod shows, it's more into the "scene".

Local carshows/cruise-ins won't be nearly as big as the national shows (such as Carlisle, Daytona, Nopi, Indy, Goodguys, Woodward, Hotrod Power Tour ect ect).
Old 04-08-2006, 12:46 PM
TECH Resident

What's your email? I have a huge list of things you can do to your car if you really want to make it stand out in the show&shine. It's too big to post here.
Old 04-08-2006, 12:47 PM
10 Second Club

keep it as clean as possible and be prepared to get beaten by a purple civic on 22's

just stay away from the rice shows
Old 04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

well organized car shows with awards. Nothing super huge yet, cars not quite ready for those but want to get my feet wet so to speak. Just some stuff so i wont look like a total newb to shows but nothing overly extravagent

Old 04-08-2006, 12:48 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

superman99ta@comcast.net . Hopefully the shows i enter will be broken up domestics and imports as seperate categories.

Old 04-08-2006, 01:25 PM
On The Tree

like 99% are sperated domestic and import...well around here anyway

btw chaotic could you email me the list as well...im always up for some new tips and tricks...devans3@new.rr.com
Old 04-08-2006, 01:29 PM
10 Second Club

hey i'll take that email too.........chane_1999@yahoo.com
Old 04-08-2006, 02:21 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

got the list. Any other things like set up or other stuff i should bring besides the car? What do judges look for in cars..... what to get me a trophy?

Old 04-08-2006, 02:35 PM
On The Tree

lol....ill take the list too...if you putting it out there... zmilt_00@hotmail.com
Old 04-08-2006, 02:50 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

its a detailing list. pretty much a full out, how to detail the car

Old 04-08-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
What's your email? I have a huge list of things you can do to your car if you really want to make it stand out in the show&shine. It's too big to post here.
Could you send me the list as well if you have a chance. I really would like to show my 1995 formula some this summer.
-Thanks Brandon
Old 04-08-2006, 03:17 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

guys if you would not mind PMing him that would be a lot better. I feel my thread is being whored out here. All the list is..... is just a list of steps to detail your exterior with waxes, clean the interior, engine bay and what not. Basically cleaning your car.

Im curious how to present my car at a show. Should i bring anything else besides jsut my car to the show? What catches most judges eyes? What will it take to get a trophy? Thanks

Old 04-08-2006, 03:18 PM
TECH Regular

My great aunt made me one of those kids that looks like they are looking into the car. I havent used it yet. When I take the cobra out to car shows I bring a scrap book of the build, that seems to go over well.
-Brandon
Old 04-08-2006, 04:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Most people have the custom made signs that stand up in front of the car describing what it is, what's done to it, and basically other BS to make it stand out so that people who don't know what the hell to look for can read it and say "ahh ok, nice touch". Another thing is mirrors positioned on the ground to see under the car (but only if you have an absolutely pristine undercarriage with a stainless exhaust or something). You might want to put some paperwork in a binder to show its progress if you have progress pics, dyno numbers, etc, anything for people to get a better understanding of its transformation and the time you've put into it. However, the most important thing is that EVERY nook and cranny is clean, that's what gets the awards. A lot of cars catch your eye and look amazing from 10 feet away then you get up close there is dust around the air lid or dirt on the intake. It's the small things that count and the possibilities are endless to what you can do. The more shows you go to, the more winning ideas you will get (some from others and some that stem from your own imagination). The first step is getting your feet wet in a few shows and see where you need to go. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 04-08-2006, 05:28 PM
TECH Resident

If you have a unique car, like a Firehawk, Dick Harrell, Berger ect, original paperwork and magazine articles are a plus. Any memorabilia that represents your car, like keychains, owner manual supplements, dealer promotional items [videos, postcard, brochures ect].
Old 04-08-2006, 05:38 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

ok thanks alot guys. So clean up the underneath of my car and place some mirrors. The bad part is... alot of the mods were already done to the car when i bought it, some the progression photos would work to well, lol. but every nook and cranny are clean. However, i dont no if mirrors would work too well under the car as mine is so low. What else could i do to really have my car stand out to the judges...... in a good way, lol?

Old 04-08-2006, 05:59 PM
On The Tree

The most important thing is just to keep it CLEAN (door jams, wheel wells, engine, all the nooks and crannies around the dash, etc.). Most judges don't care too much how "flashy" the car is. A majority of the scoring is based on the minor details that have already been mentioned above. A display sign is very good idea if you have mild to extensive modifications (ones not easily noticed i.e. cam + heads, port work, gears, bottom end, etc.) or if you have an original stock car to display RPO codes, engine numbers, production numbers, etc...

As for a barricade or roping the car off, most people don't bother at outdoor show. However, if you're **** about your car, I would recommend it. Everytime somebody walked by my '69 Z with a dog, small children, or a stroller...it made me cringe. So I made some simple rope "stands" made out of iron tubing that slid under the tires and were angled outward. I feel much more comfortable now. (also, razor sharp spikes, an electric fence, and barb wire can be used)

I always found it helps if you talk to the judges while they are judging your car. Many times they have questions but don't ask unless you talk to them.

Also, don't forget a comfy lawn chair and cooler of you favorite beverages. I recently took my '69 Z to a 3 day indoor carshow...and my butt was sure glad I brought my favorite lawnchair.

Good luck and fun. Car shows can be a blast!

Quick Reply: Any tips for a carshow newbie?