Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

any tips for being a contestant in a car show??

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2006, 11:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default any tips for a contestant in a car show anyone??

hey guys, im entering in a car show in Berkeley IL, . . (address in the midwestern forum post "Anyone going to be in the Berkeley car show?") (which no one has responded to!) . . anyway, im enterin my ws6 . . . any tips for winning or tips in general? . . . imma steal a nice stand from work to display my car specs and such and such, . . . . . my girlfriend is gonna get two black shirts for us that are airbrushed with a firebird in silver flames . . . thats what i got planned, . . . . . anybody care to enlighten me?? thanx a million!
Old 06-05-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a little obvious, but IMO is the only thing that'll let your car appear up to its potential; get a good detail in!
Old 06-05-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A lot of guys in our club won awards at G10 in Atlanta - they use the 1,000 point checklist/guide available from Ecklers Camaro to prepare their cars. I'd just do a good detail, bring a cooler, chairs, etc. and just have fun.
Old 06-05-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure it's clean, and don't be surprised/disappointed if you don't win anything, I've been to several shows and haven't won anything (aside from door prizes) you'll be amazed at what does win tho.
Case in point: entered a show Saturday, and one of the top 10 peoples choice awards was a POS Cadillac Eldorado vert, with faded paint, rust on the fenders, and in generally poor shape, but it won the owner a plaque WTF?!?!?
At another show, the best engine award was given to a fox stang with a trick flow intake and some chrome tube CAI, and that was all he had, it wasn't even that clean
It just makes me wonder what the criteria is for the judges use to pick the winners
if it weren't for the socializing and meeting up with friends, I'd frankly quit entering shows
So don't be too shocked at what you see win trophys/plaques/awards.
Just go have fun maybe make a few new friends, and enjoy looking at the really nice cars
Oh and bring a cooler, some chairs, and an awning to keep the sun off you< the shows usually last all day, and the sunburn from all day in the hot sun is a bitch
Old 06-07-2006, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

thanx guys, . . what is the 1000 point checklist? where could i find it? i was also wondering what judges look for . . . but it looks like from your experiences, it depends on a person's competence . . . . . . . . .
Old 06-07-2006, 02:14 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Just go there to have fun. Get your car cleaned up, crusie in, park, take out a chair, sit down have a beer, walk around, chat it up a bit, **** winning, its about having fun!
Old 06-07-2006, 02:43 PM
TECH Regular

Our local shows are usually a popularity contest...sort of like running for class president? Just enjoy the compliments, and have fun.
Old 06-07-2006, 02:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Sgt. Spuds
Just go there to have fun. Get your car cleaned up, crusie in, park, take out a chair, sit down have a beer, walk around, chat it up a bit, **** winning, its about having fun!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, to win nowadays is having as much bling as possible.
Old 06-07-2006, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Its all about cleaniness!
Old 06-07-2006, 05:51 PM
Banned

From what I've seen if you can make a "billboard" or something to list the mods and extra care that has been lavished on your car it makes the judges look at your car a bit more.

Of course clean is good, but not always, considering the cars I usually see winning.

I never entered mine because I'd hate to waste my whole day (if the social scene is dead) and win nothing compared to the "average" drivers I see winning all the stuff. Shamefull.
Old 06-07-2006, 06:02 PM
TECH Resident

It's not about having fun its about winning. J/k...seriously just go and check out the babes and relax with some cool cars.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:29 PM
mcG
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
thanx guys, . . what is the 1000 point checklist? where could i find it? .
i would also like to know...
Old 06-07-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

be different...like if a show is on a sunday morning...most people are getting out of church...so ill play a dvd of Joel Osteen on my system...try to be considerate to the public! put a candy basket out for the kids (chocolate melts...not good lol)...and a clean bucket display of your cleaning products or something lol be creative....OH and be as clean as you can be
Old 06-07-2006, 08:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 02TransAm/Batmobile
thanx guys, . . what is the 1000 point checklist? where could i find it? i was also wondering what judges look for . . . but it looks like from your experiences, it depends on a person's competence . . . . . . . . .
Here a few to look at......

http://www.carshow.org/judsht.htm

http://www.carshow.org/3-%20USACCara...w%20Stock).doc
Old 06-07-2006, 09:39 PM
Launching!

I once lost out on first place when a judge was inspecting my engine bay and he took a flashlight and shined it way up under the dash console where leaves and crap like to gather behind the hood hinges in the corners....ya, took runner up because of that....I wanted to shove that flashlight up his you know what. Even my smallest vacuum attachement can't get up in there.
Old 06-07-2006, 09:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by shippershack
I once lost out on first place when a judge was inspecting my engine bay and he took a flashlight and shined it way up under the dash console where leaves and crap like to gather behind the hood hinges in the corners....ya, took runner up because of that....I wanted to shove that flashlight up his you know what. Even my smallest vacuum attachement can't get up in there.
So what won 1st? It must have been pretty cool.
Old 06-08-2006, 07:58 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best line of advice? Go out and have fun and don't plan on winning anything no matter how much better your car looks than anyone elses.

A lot of shows aside from the 'bigtime' f-body shows are really just random judges picking out what they like. Don't be discouraged if you lose to an '88 Monte Carlo with 22's, or a neon with a full tweed interior.

Also I like to bring a large tupperware container to put all my things in, a lot of judges don't like it when you leave stuff in your car (cleaning supplies, etc) and it's better than trying to stuff it under your car. You can put all of your stuff in that tupperware and put the lid on in case it rains.

Bring a chair or two, some sunblock....I always take the time to make a nice sign that lists all my modifications - non f-body people might not realize all of the mods you have, especially if it is something subtle like t/a seats in a camaro. For the big AutoFair that we have here, I make a really nice poster in photoshop, and take it to Kinkos for them to print it out on a large-scale foamboard. I always get tons of compliments on it.
Old 06-08-2006, 08:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Depending on the show i'll bring out the show board. Also a photo album of work in progress photos.And the larger shows i bust out the under car mirrors.
Best advice keep the car clean, and enjoy the show.
Hawk
Old 06-08-2006, 09:37 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Make sure it's clean, and don't be surprised/disappointed if you don't win anything, I've been to several shows and haven't won anything (aside from door prizes) you'll be amazed at what does win tho.
Case in point: entered a show Saturday, and one of the top 10 peoples choice awards was a POS Cadillac Eldorado vert, with faded paint, rust on the fenders, and in generally poor shape, but it won the owner a plaque WTF?!?!?
At another show, the best engine award was given to a fox stang with a trick flow intake and some chrome tube CAI, and that was all he had, it wasn't even that clean
It just makes me wonder what the criteria is for the judges use to pick the winners
if it weren't for the socializing and meeting up with friends, I'd frankly quit entering shows
So don't be too shocked at what you see win trophys/plaques/awards.
Just go have fun maybe make a few new friends, and enjoy looking at the really nice cars
Oh and bring a cooler, some chairs, and an awning to keep the sun off you< the shows usually last all day, and the sunburn from all day in the hot sun is a bitch

this guy said it all man! **** YEAH some POS's get awards....i hate the guys who you can tell just dropped like $50000 into their ride and didnt do a LICK of anything themselves...then they come to a show and BUY all of the awards...screw them..

Quick Reply: any tips for being a contestant in a car show??