Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

I am at my wits end with trying to clean my windows...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2006, 10:14 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am at my wits end with trying to clean my windows...

And before you say it, yes I have tried Stoner Invisible Glass, and yes it works just about better than anything I've tried, but I am still not seeing the results I want. I just cannot get them clean, they ALWAYS are streaky, and that is one think that I hate, is streaky windows. I have tried newspaper, paper towels, microfibers, terry cloth, everything, and about six different cleaners, and I just bought some wipes today that I have yet to try out.

Any tips/tricks to cleaning f-body glass? Inside the windshield is killer, Maybe I'm just not flexible, but that ****** is a bitch to clean... Should I actually be trying to buff the windows clean, or just slide the rag over them? How should I apply the Stoner Invisible Glass or what ever else I am using ( any other good products out there? ) and what type of SIG should I get, the Pump spray or the aerosol ( spray ) can?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have you tried just regular windex? works great for me
Old 07-17-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have never gotten streaks with windex and paper towels. some lint here and there though

edit: my 1000th post

Last edited by qwikz28; 07-18-2006 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I normally get my wife to get in there to do the windshield. She gets WAY down in there. I always get my glass cleaner from a window tinting place, or an Auto Glass Place. Normally its just the same as the foaming stuff you get at walmart. Works good for me. Smoking is the biggest contributor to streaks that I have seen. But I dont smoke so, Do you? That tobacco tar stuff will normally come off with a light BLEACH and water mixture. Good luck
Old 07-17-2006, 10:37 PM
Shirley Temple Drinker

I don't smoke in my car at all.

I have tried Windex, and when I misted my windshield, and whipped it off with a papertowl, it left like a wetness that appeared to evaporate, and left streaks...
Old 07-17-2006, 10:40 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Beasst8
...She gets WAY down in there....

you dont say?
Old 07-17-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Resident

I got this cool thing from like the autogeek.com or somewhere like that, it is a triangle shape pad that has a terry cloth cover or microfibre cover on a handle. It is great for getting the windshild of the TA. It was only like $15 and my wife uses it to do the windows inside, so now I don't have to. Check it out.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

water / vinegar FTW. When I tint windows, I clean them with vegetable spray. Its high concentrated soap and water, works great.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:34 PM
TECH Resident

I get the same thing. Spend like an hour cleaning all my windows w/ stoners invisible glass. day later there are streaks from when I put the windows down and up. ****...
one day Ill get in there and try to clean the whole path of the windows? dunno if thats possible but thats what gives me my streaks :\
Old 07-17-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Resident

Do you use vinyl spray. If so if you overspray that onto the glass it can be a bitch to get off. I use newspaper and windex on the windshield and mirrors. If you work on the tint warm water should suffice. Are you actually using windex or the cheap blue store brand stuff. I tried cutting costs by buying the cheap **** and it just doesn't work I went back to windex.
Old 07-17-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Resident

Keep using the Stoners IG and newspapaper.....just keep cleaning until the streaks go away! And take your t-tops out it makes it easier to reach down to clean.
Old 07-18-2006, 07:28 AM
TECH Resident

I can't believe no one has said this yet.............. WAX
Old 07-18-2006, 07:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

I feel your pain man! When you clean the inside of the windshield, there will be streaks galore, especailly at night. I still have not found something that works well..
Old 07-18-2006, 08:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1.) Park the car so the sun hits the windshield just right to show all the streaks.
2.) Use windex to do the actual cleaning. Apply liberally and use it until your paper towel or cloth is not picking up any more dirt.
3.) Do a light finish with the windex and dry it like a "normal" person would.
4.) After the winshield has fully air dried, go back in with a clean paper towel and effectively buff the streaks out, taking care not to let your hands touch the glass or picking up any protectant from your dash on the towels.

This should get you streak free, trust me I am picky too. The stoner stuff might work better, it's the finishing buff that is what matters.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my inside of the windshield is streaky too. on both my f-bodies they would constantly streak no matter what i did. whatever.

it's the SIDE WINDOWS that drive me nuts. every time you put them up and down they streak and get dirty...on both my cars! you'd get lines parallel to the door itself when you put the window half down and put it back up. it drives me nuts, it's like fingerprints just in line form. ugh.

this is why i drive with my windows down. F the A/C. i'm a man. i love backsweat and HBS.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Staging Lane

Try Zaino glass polish. Messy when buffing tho so put a towel down on your dash. Don't use on tint.

I've used that and 00000 steel wool for the winshield ONLY. You can use it for the outside of the glass as well. Do NOT use it on your tinted surfaces. Be sure and rinse/wipe the area well once you are done with the steel wool. I've used it on all my cars and when I'm done it is so clear it's almost like there is no glass at all. No streaks either.

HTH!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:09 AM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

actually i've found pool water works pretty well

you get the grease cutting action of chlorinated water and the lower occurrance of streaks regular water has. windex streaks like an SOB. streak-free shine my ***...

armorall glass wipes work okay, too...till you roll down your windows again
Old 07-18-2006, 10:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

I've been using Eagle 1 20/20 aerosol glass gleaner for a couple of years now. It is one of the best cleaners I've found. It takes off bugs pretty good as well. I'm very picky about my glass and Eagle 1 has never let me down. I do wax the outside of my windows a couple of times a year as well.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by King James
I can't believe no one has said this yet.............. WAX
Yes, wax on glass will cause streaking if you try to clean. A good idea would be to use a glass polish. It will cut through the wax AND polish the glass.

EDIT: If you meant the inside of the windows, I would probably try the polish anyway.
Old 07-18-2006, 10:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I get great results with a DRY microfiber. I found a microfiber "mitten" that is great for the glass since you don't ahve to worry about the towel falling out of your hand. Anyway,I try not to let the windows get too, bad. I recommend to clean your windows as normal, and then "buff" with a completely dry towel.

Another trick, to tell which side of the glass is streaky, clean inside form side to side. Outside clean up and down, then you will know EXACTLY which side is streaky based upon the direction of the "streak" . . .

Another good window cleaner is an absorber.

The back glass is a killer, but do not wipe across the defroster, wipe along the lines.

Outside glass quick detailer works great too.

Last edited by Xsta Z 28; 07-18-2006 at 10:57 AM.

Quick Reply: I am at my wits end with trying to clean my windows...