Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Possible to lay CF over a hood scoop?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Possible to lay CF over a hood scoop?

I am looking at the VFN 3in SS and had an idea. I have a local CF guy doing my interior and I was wondering if it would be possible to have him lay CF over the hood scoop and blend it in even with the body, then have the body shop paint the hood silver and just clearcoat over the CF and silver, leaving a CF scoop. Opinions on this? I'd also have the CF grill up front and a CF Berger panel just to give you all an idea of the car's look.
Old 09-01-2006, 02:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anything is possible with the right materials and skills!! Would definitly be a cool look. I think the CF would have to extend out from the scoop in all directions by a few inches to allow for your body man to blend it in with the flat surface of the hood with filler. Then a straight edge could be taped off
and paint brough up to that edge. I don't think simply trimming the CF off at the edges of the scoop will work for 2 reasons:

1) CF edges like to fray
2) You're going to have to blend the edge of the CF to the hood surface with body filler in order to create a smooth transition. Even though the CF is thin, it still does have some thickness to it that will create an uneven joint is it's not smoothed out.

Also, I would lay a light coat of black primer on the scoop before laying down the CF just in case there are any gaps between the weave. That way you won't see them as much if you have a black background.

This idea has been in the back of my mind for about 2 years now. Just waiting till I get the car painted before doing it.

By the way, RKSport makes a fantastic CF grille. I have it and love it.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 09-01-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

i thought about it too

maybe do the whole top of the hood cf, then paint where u want ....
Old 09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Ya, the difference in doing just the scoop and the entire hood is easily several hundred dollars in materials alone. The same guy who would do this is doing my interior in aluminized fiberglass, the hood is the only thing I think I can splurge on carbon fiber cloth for, even then, it is only the scoop. I'll see how the aluminized fiberglass turns out, that could be an option for entire hood coverage.
Old 09-01-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Junkie

i would ask VFN about their CF versions of their hoods. they don't list it on their site last i looked, but im pretty sure u can still get their hoods in CF for a bit extra money, and the cosmetic version ahs the scoop in visible CF(rest is CF too, but isn't cosmetic stuff
Old 09-01-2006, 03:49 PM
TECH Addict

Ya I saw your last post in the CF hood thread, I'm given them a call.

Quick Reply: Possible to lay CF over a hood scoop?