Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

ASCD hoods, anyone have one?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ASCD hoods, anyone have one?

I searched but didn't find anything. Does anyone here have a hood from ASCD? If you do, how's the quality? When you got it, how was the fit? How has it endured since it was first installed? Any stress cracks or spider webbing from opening and closing? Does it flex when you try to close it? And last of all, please post pictures if you have any!
Old 10-12-2006, 07:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaotic Firebird
I searched but didn't find anything. Does anyone here have a hood from ASCD? If you do, how's the quality? When you got it, how was the fit? How has it endured since it was first installed? Any stress cracks or spider webbing from opening and closing? Does it flex when you try to close it? And last of all, please post pictures if you have any!
I don't miss a chance to ***** my car. These pics are kind of crappy and the paint color came out lighter than it really is:

The quality was good but you definitely want to sand down any rough spots (I had a couple). Fit isn't too bad. I had issues w/ the headlights opening and contacting the leading edge of the hood. It's still really close and if you look you can see that the hood sits a little further back than stock to prevent the headlights from hitting. No stress cracks or spider webbing as of right now. I've only had it about 9 months or so. It does contact the center of the front nostril when it's shut but I could've had it sanded a little under the hood right there (it's hard to explain but the glass mold left a little extra material there causing it to touch when shut). This was all done by a body shop for free after I hit a deer. The hood was only like $500 so I definitely can't complain. 100 x better than the stock hood IMO.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:53 PM
TECH Addict

Oh and one more thing. There are 2 spots, one on each side, on the top of the hood near the windshield (about in the center of each raised hood section around 12" towards the front of the car as measured from the back edge of the hood) that aren't perfectly flat. What I mean is that if you're looking closely at the hood in the light you can see a low spot on each ram-air section. It's hard to explain without pointing to it but it's a slightly concave area on each side of the hood. No one has noticed except me as I'm a perfectionist when it comes to my car. This could have been fixed by block sanding the hood more before painting it.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had one on my thirdgen Camaro. SS style. The body shop said it took a little work to make it perfect but, it lined up and functioned perfectly.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an ASCD SS hood on my 01 Z/28 and I had an ASCD WS6 hood on my 99 TA.

Great fit and finish my ASCD SS hood & Spoiler are 5 years old no issues with them.

01 Z/28 w/ ASCD SS hood ad spoiler

99 TA w/ ASCD hood

Old 10-12-2006, 08:42 PM
TECH Addict

Looks like 01pewter's T/A had the same low spots I was talking about at the back of the hood. Also, for the pewter Z it looks like you just need to slide the entire hood towards the driver's side about 1/8" to 1/4" and then it would line up perfectly all around. When I first saw the manta I didn't think the 2 points at the front lined up perfectly w/ the camaro symbol on the bumper. Then I noticed that the gap on the driver's side is larger than the passenger's side. Not trying to be a jerk just trying to help out.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:04 PM
Launching!

There are some cracks on mine and 2 or 3 dimples, but not nearly as bad as the **** Mecham sells. I honestly can't complain, but I do say that my first hood from them for my 96 TA was top notch with no defects, and having a black TA makes the slight imperfections of fiberglass stand out a little. I recommend them highly, overall they have one of the greatest reputations going.

Quick Reply: ASCD hoods, anyone have one?