Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Sail Pane Repair Finished (GM details)

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006, 09:07 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail Pane Repair Finished (GM details)

Well I finally got my car back Thursday night from the dealer. There is a 1/4" gap between the rubber on the T top and the roof of the sail panel. Does anyone know if this should be flush? I saw an SS last night and his was the same way and he said his had not been replaced.

So the details are call GM tell them SBB # 03-08-98-001A. They will know what your talking about. Then when they give you crap tell them to look up ref# 1-427421910 and that you know that case number was a 50/50 deal and you atleast want the same. Call 1-866-790-5700 and the lady I talked to was at x22038.

See in 98 some wise guy goes to GM and says hey we can cut out a few bucks in out production if we switch the urithane process on the roof/sail panel on these cars. So Mr. Big Shot says, "sounds good to me." Now they knew what would happen but they figured warranty repairs would not be that bad because most of our cars expired before it would happen. Same thing with Bayliner boats. I have a friend who runs one of their production plants and they did something just like this and he told them what would happen. It's all about this years quarterly statement and they could care less about quality.
Old 10-14-2006, 12:18 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So what's the deal, did you have to pay 1/2? How much was it? Also, are there limitations to mileage/year? There really *shouldn't* be a mileage thing for a non-mechanical manufacturer defect (except for paint chips, etc. but those aren't defects).
Old 10-14-2006, 12:21 PM
12 Second Club

im interested too....mine is so bad that the bubbles have popped and glue is coming out of the holes..and my car is an 02 and has never been parked outside...been in the garage its entire life
Old 10-14-2006, 12:26 PM
TECH Addict

What dealer did you take it to. I have a house in Cumberland and could bring it up there for repair if needed.

Thanks

Bryan
parbreak
Old 10-14-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 4u 2 nv
im interested too....mine is so bad that the bubbles have popped and glue is coming out of the holes..and my car is an 02 and has never been parked outside...been in the garage its entire life

i guess i am lucky i have a 98,
i have numerous friends who have newer camaros / t/a's and they have not noticed the problem,

do you have a pic of yours, i'd be interested to see how bad it really is
Old 10-15-2006, 07:04 AM
Teching In

Just call them give them ref case #1-427421910 and tell them you have the same problem. Also give them SBB#03-08-98-001A. Mine was fixed at Timbrook Pontiac in Cumberland MD. I had to pick up $425 of $850. It still sucks real bad since mine is also a garage queen but it was better than paying the whole thing.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:15 AM
TECH Addict

Yep, know exactly where Timbrook is. How was the quality of the install and more importantly the paint?

Thanks
Old 10-15-2006, 10:30 AM
Teching In

I think they did a pretty good job. I used to have a firebird and they did a complete paint job bumper to bumper and it was very nice so that is why I took the Camaro down there. I think they got the spacing right on the roof panel now that I have looked at other ones, it's a 1/4" gap between sail panel and t tops. The only complaint I had was there was a pin point bubble on the very top of the roof but they wet sanded on it and you can't even notice anything unless you look real hard. It almost looks like a slight unevenness where they did it but you have to catch the light just right. The only other complaint I had was they did not clean the car afterwards. I took it in there spotless and they returned it with stuff on my carpet and that sticky substance they used to tape up the rest of the car was all over my rear quarter panels. If you take yours there ask for Lee he is a real good guy and will make sure it's done right.
Old 10-15-2006, 04:56 PM
Teching In

Can someone measure the gap between the back of the rubber on the t top and the top of the sail panel for me? i get a 1/4" gap and I am wondering if that is correct? I checked a firebird and it was flush and then I checked 2 camaros and there was a 1/4" gap?
Old 10-15-2006, 06:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tjodom
Can someone measure the gap between the back of the rubber on the t top and the top of the sail panel for me? i get a 1/4" gap and I am wondering if that is correct? I checked a firebird and it was flush and then I checked 2 camaros and there was a 1/4" gap?

Can't help you on that one, I have a hardtop, but can tell you there is a 1/4" valley between the sail panel and the hardtop panel that runs straight across the car laterally. Probably the same spot where the t-tops connect to the sail panel.

Bryan
Old 10-19-2006, 11:26 PM
Restricted User

i wanna replace this peice too man i should go check it out...im painting the car soon and want to replace that peice so when they prepe the car they have a new peice to sand and paint on so there is a less chance for bubbles, at least for a couple years anyways...my friends cars are getting the bubbles everywhere, it looks pretty bad especially when they pop and mess up all the clear and everything... hope they can help me out thanks for posting this thread, good looking out

Quick Reply: Sail Pane Repair Finished (GM details)