Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Guys with aftermarket hoods?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2006, 06:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Guys with aftermarket hoods?

I have a hood that I need painting. Of course it needs to be painted to match both on the top and underside of the hood. I have checked around at about 4 paint shops they all quoted me about 800 give ot take 50, is it just me or is that a little high or am I cheap and is it a fair price? My car is a pewter TA and I am trying to put a WS6 hood on it.

Let me know what you were charged for your hood to be painted

thanks
Jerry
Old 10-19-2006, 07:08 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by buldogg
I have a hood that I need painting. Of course it needs to be painted to match both on the top and underside of the hood. I have checked around at about 4 paint shops they all quoted me about 800 give ot take 50, is it just me or is that a little high or am I cheap and is it a fair price? My car is a pewter TA and I am trying to put a WS6 hood on it.

Let me know what you were charged for your hood to be painted

thanks
Jerry
That's high... I'd say $400 to $500 is about right, that's what I am getting quoted by a shop that did an EXCELLENT job on my spoiler...

On a side note, when they paint the bottom, instead of base coat and then a clear coat have them take the base coat, mix a little clear with it, and then spray that on as the only coat.

This will make a satin-like pewter that will match the rest of the paint in the engine bay and save some money...
Old 10-19-2006, 07:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I paid $378 to get this one painted:

Old 10-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Rehab is for quitters...

$400 to $600 is about right, depending on how much prep the hood needs. VFN hoods are fairly flat and it doesn't take much to get them smooth and flat.

My car is black so they did not have to blend the fenders, which if they do blend, obviously it will be more than the cost of just painting the hood itself.

Take DEMONBIRD's advice on the underside and you will be very happy with the results.

Black Z/28 - Very Nice!
Old 10-19-2006, 07:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DEMONBIRD
That's high... I'd say $400 to $500 is about right, that's what I am getting quoted by a shop that did an EXCELLENT job on my spoiler...

On a side note, when they paint the bottom, instead of base coat and then a clear coat have them take the base coat, mix a little clear with it, and then spray that on as the only coat.

This will make a satin-like pewter that will match the rest of the paint in the engine bay and save some money...
400 to 500 is what I was thinking but the ones that were quoting me the 700-800 rang were saying they had to blend the fenders to make it look right. Which I think is BS
Old 10-19-2006, 07:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by buldogg
400 to 500 is what I was thinking but the ones that were quoting me the 700-800 rang were saying they had to blend the fenders to make it look right. Which I think is BS
Yeah, $400-$500 is JUST painting the hood, no blending... A pewter car should not need blending...

I had a 1999 Trans-Am that was MYSTIC TEAL (now that is a hard to match color) and what I did was take the headlight door off, take it to the paint store, they put it in a spectrum analyzer to match the paint perfectly...

Also though I had the headlight door/tops painted at the same time just in case there would be new paint on all flat surfaces (metallic has to be sprayed in such a way that the part is oriented as it will be on the car so that it reflects the same and one part doesn't look a different color than another all the time due to angles)...

SO, get a good paint match and have the hood and headlights sprayed at the same time and you'll be fine...
Old 10-19-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Veteran

They charged me $550.00 to paint the hood, blend the fenders and bumper.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

i got hooked up for 250
Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
i got hooked up for 250

I noticed you have the Z06 shift ****, is there a special part number you have to give the chevy house. I called them and they could only find one shift **** and it was the same for the z06 and regular corvette
Old 10-20-2006, 11:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Silver02TA
i got hooked up for 250
I got hooked up for $100
Old 10-20-2006, 04:12 PM
11 Second Club

i just payed a grand to have everything but the doors painted on mine had an aftermarket ss hood and spoiler painted and the rear bumper repainted clearcoat pealing.. and they did a great job blended the rear 1/4's and the front fenders and it looks great... also had the manta stripe done
Old 10-21-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah, $400-$500 is JUST painting the hood, no blending... A pewter car should not need blending...

I had a 1999 Trans-Am that was MYSTIC TEAL (now that is a hard to match color) and what I did was take the headlight door off, take it to the paint store, they put it in a spectrum analyzer to match the paint perfectly...

Also though I had the headlight door/tops painted at the same time just in case there would be new paint on all flat surfaces (metallic has to be sprayed in such a way that the part is oriented as it will be on the car so that it reflects the same and one part doesn't look a different color than another all the time due to angles)...

SO, get a good paint match and have the hood and headlights sprayed at the same time and you'll be fine...
Whoa, Pewter is definitely the one color that DOES need blending, along with any of the silver varieties. The problem with Light Pewter Metallic is number one, it's a metallic, and all metallics are hard to match without blending because of the way the metallic particles lay out when sprayed. Also, ANY variation in the air pressure, fluid flow, temp or humidity will affect the shade in which it lays out. The other reason is Pewter has a high concentration of black in it and depending on all the above factors, plus the gun speed of the painter is going to affect how dark/light the Pewter shows up. Pay the extra money and get it blended. Otherwise if I walk past your car, I guarantee I'll spot a non-blended Pewter.

Bryan
parbreak
Old 10-21-2006, 10:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

My slp h.o. hood need alot of prep it ran my price up to 800.The body shop had to resculpt the entire nose to make it fluch with my bumper and headlights. Without alot of work needing to be done I would say that is high.
Old 10-21-2006, 08:30 PM
Launching!

Any Metalic color has to be blended; Silvers are a deff. The hood will honestly never look exact if you dont. $800 is about right. By the time they blend the fenders, blend the front bumper, replace the emblems and paint the hood it adds up.

I just had a few quotes done since my Z was hit in a parking lot. The guy wanted three quotes and all were around 2,200 -2,300. That was including the cost of a factory hood which is a grand. My hood was bassically the only thing that needed to be replaced and fixed though. O well sunoco hood is on the way. Good luck bro, dont take short cuts. BTW my Z is Sebring silver
Old 10-21-2006, 08:36 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HMFDZ28
Any Metalic color has to be blended
Sorry but that just is not true... A good paint shop (with an analyzer) combined with a good painter and it is generally NOT NECCESSARY... especially on flat panels on top of the car basically by themselves (it's not like spraying a panel that has another panel right next to it that light hits from the exact same direction)...

I've had two cars with panels (hoods and spoiler) painted (one Navy Blue Metallic and the other Mystic Teal which is metallic) NOT BLENDED and even the trained eye could NOT tell, I promise you.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Sorry but that just is not true... A good paint shop (with an analyzer) combined with a good painter and it is generally NOT NECCESSARY... especially on flat panels on top of the car basically by themselves (it's not like spraying a panel that has another panel right next to it that light hits from the exact same direction)...

I've had two cars with panels (hoods and spoiler) painted (one Navy Blue Metallic and the other Mystic Teal which is metallic) NOT BLENDED and even the trained eye could NOT tell, I promise you.

Well, the key words in your post are "good painter" most of which are not, they are just "sprayers" and "generally not necessary". Most of the time it is necessary. Also, I far as I know, most hoods have fenders right next to them and front fascias right next to them so it's not like a spoiler that sits up 3-4" off the adjacent surface. You may have gotten lucky and got a good painter, but most people won't. If they matched well, congrats, but most painters are going to tell you to blend into adjacent panels with metallics.
You've had a very unique experience I assure you and obviously found a good painter.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Launching!

I have to agree with Parbreak. I worked in a body shop a few years ago and thats what we did. Every job cam out perfect and you could not tell the difference. Heck on most camaros if you look the hood doesnt perfectly match the bumper. And thats out of the factory. Can you get them to be close, sure. Its still not gonna be 100%.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:17 PM
Staging Lane

i got quoted 700 for prep, alignment, painting the hood and painting stripes , and the stripes on the spoiler and roof
Old 10-22-2006, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used a crayola marker!

Originally Posted by nhra-trans-am
I got hooked up for $100