Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Tint won't bond with glass because of scratch, took off tint, now what?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Tint won't bond with glass because of scratch, took off tint, now what?

don't know where to put this thread but thought it was more appearance and detailling oriented . . . .

i noticed to small bubbles after getting my tints done, the guy said it was scratches in the glass, . .i thought he was an idiot but he was right, . . a few days later the tint was scratched off the glass, . . something rubbing when i put the window down, . . its been bugging me ever since, . i wanna redo my tints now, but what should i do to the scratches to that it will bond correctly??

Thanx!
Old 12-29-2006, 10:30 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Its probably the window supports that are bolted to the inner door panel. It seems to be common for the felt to come off or they will snap and you have to replace them, I just had to replace mine after they scatched my tint, you have 2 on each door. If you pull you door panel off you will see them.
Old 12-29-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Yep, samething happened to me. Just get the new part from a dealer, should be about 12 bucks. (1st see how many you need though)
You dont have to take the whole door panel off either, just take off the outer screws and try to squeeze your hands in there. least thats what i did =o
Old 12-30-2006, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

my window has a couple knicks in it, but the tint is still fine. ill pull apart i guess when i put speakers in it.
Old 12-30-2006, 04:27 PM
TECH Junkie

yea, that felt material, fell off, i am in the process of fixing that right now but what should i do to the glass itself? is there some kind of filler that you guys are aware of? if i put the tints on again, it'll do the same thing, . . i'll check autozone or something
Old 12-30-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Resident

Well if there arent any scratches on the glass itself it wont do it again..
It just took the tint off a small piece right? After the felt parts are put on, retint and it wont do it again
Old 12-30-2006, 09:15 PM
TECH Junkie

no, i got my tints done during the summer, . i noticed to small bubbles at the top of the window and i told the guy to get the bubbles out, he said its because the glass had scratches etched in it which is why there are bubbles showing, . . i said eh, its not that bad, drove around lowered my windows and noticed that the tint was scratched off, . . apparently its been doing this for a while and the window itself has some small subtle scratches actually etched INTO the glass NOT the tint, . . its been bothering me, so i fixed the felt problem took off the tint and now i want to smooth out the window with some kind of filler so that it would bond this time, . . but yes, there is actual scratches on the glass itself, . . so what should i do? thanx!!
Old 12-31-2006, 02:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd just call or run by one of the auto glass/windshield places and see if there is a way to fix it.

Otherwise... check out this stuff at eastwood... never used it, but i have bought alot of their products and they all have worked great.

http://eastwood.resultspage.com/sear...custom&w=glass
Old 12-31-2006, 05:28 AM
TECH Junkie

I've noticed this also now that you say something ..... my passenger side window has some sort of fine scratches up and down it near the mirror ..... very fine scratches though. I had my windows tinted last year .... whether or not the scratches were present then I cant recall. Either way my tint hasn't been effected .... hmmm. As for bubbles my tint had plenty of them , the guy that tinted my windows said they were from moisture and it would take them a couple days to dry seeing as it was january. They dried up very nicely ... no bubbles at all
Old 12-31-2006, 06:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

very common for the felt to do the disappearing act on F-bodys. my drivers side window is like what you're saying. before i replaced all that nonsense with my last window motor i replaced....there are 2 little "scuff" marks from the track hitting it. if you get up close to my windows you will see the 2 little spots where the tint didn't "stick" to it exactly and looks like "little bubbles" like you're saying...just one of those things you gotta deal with, that or buy a new window

Quick Reply: Tint won't bond with glass because of scratch, took off tint, now what?