Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

What a GREAT mod! Check it out...

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What a GREAT mod! Check it out...

I think it's appearance related because our cars LOOK retarded with $hitty windows

Anyways, it's a cheap, GREAT mod and they're sponsors so check it out and support them:

http://www.autotrix.net/

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...5&page=1&pp=20
Old 01-05-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea it looks really useful i really want it but i cant stand installing elictrical crap. Right now im holding superbright white fog lights i paid $140 for and i just dont want to go screw them on and plug them in i hate hate hate doing elcectrical stuff seems like it never goes right. im also thinking about installing some amps and speakers but i dont think im going to. Needless to say, ill probly never do this mod cause of the install but still a great product
Old 01-05-2007, 07:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 530transam
yea it looks really useful i really want it but i cant stand installing elictrical crap. Right now im holding superbright white fog lights i paid $140 for and i just dont want to go screw them on and plug them in i hate hate hate doing elcectrical stuff seems like it never goes right. im also thinking about installing some amps and speakers but i dont think im going to. Needless to say, ill probly never do this mod cause of the install but still a great product
Where do you live?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah I remember that thread a while back.

I just wish it was available for the driver side as well.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i live in yuba city 30 miles north of sacramento-wheres valley village?
Old 01-05-2007, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Looks pretty useful, I already replaced my driver side motor. Will probably have to replace the passenger motor soon.
Old 01-05-2007, 07:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 530transam
i live in yuba city 30 miles north of sacramento-wheres valley village?
Near Burbank... Electrical is not that hard. Just got to picture it as flowing water, coming in one way needing to go out another...
Old 01-05-2007, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I bought this set a few weeks ago and I'm waiting to install it. I just routed the power and ground wires today while I did my !wires mod so I'll finish up the relay part of it tomorrow. For the record my passenger window is slooooooooooow especially when the motor's not running.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i understand electrical thoroughly its just a PITA. I guess im just lazy lol
Old 01-05-2007, 08:30 PM
11 Second Club

Received 69 Likes on 50 Posts

seems like a good mod, but can it only get as fast as my driverside window, b/c my driverside isnt much faster lol. My windows are in very good shape and work very well for our cars by the way, i think they are about as fast they can get....astleast judging by my 01 SS which took a minute or so to completely roll up or down
Old 01-06-2007, 06:42 AM
TECH Addict

I don't understand why someone can't design a window motor with a little more power to handle the weight of these windows. How hard could it be to stick a motor inthere that draws more current and doesn't bitch out after a year or two?
Old 01-06-2007, 06:48 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm waiting for mine to go out. I think one of the problems with the motors is they don't get enough power, so stronger ones won't fix the problem.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Autozone motor in my drivers side window has been the same speed since day 1, and I love it!

Passenger side has been dying a slow death for a year or two now.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts

Ditto what he said....
Replaced my drivers side motor... ( AutoZone) works fine..
Passenger... is slowwwwly fading away...

I too purchased this "window kit".. will install it this spring.

Originally Posted by j3ff
Autozone motor in my drivers side window has been the same speed since day 1, and I love it!

Passenger side has been dying a slow death for a year or two now.
Old 01-06-2007, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Same here. That replacement from autozone works great for me on the drivers side. I am going to replace the passenger side this spring I hope... if it makes it that long.

-bryan
Old 01-06-2007, 09:48 PM
11 Second Club

I'm ordering one....
Old 01-06-2007, 10:15 PM
TECH Veteran

my passenger side is so slow, i have to reach over to the pass button for it to speed up a little bit. drivers side is a bitch when it rains, itll go up, stop, move an inch, then stop again
Old 01-07-2007, 12:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

my passenger will not go up unless the car is running. And when it is running, its sooo slow. BUt like others are saying, I hate doing electrical crap. WHat does that kit actually DO anyway?
Old 01-07-2007, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

I just finished mine up and the hype is true! It goes up much fast now even with the car off!! The kit has you route a dedicated power wire from the passenger door to a positive terminal under the hood. Then there are 2 relays included with the kit that you wire into your harness below the power window switch. I don't know exactly what the relays do but I know that it causes the power window motor to draw power using the new power wire your routed. The problem before is that it was drawing current through the wiring from the driver's door first (lots of power loss that way). Anyways, I can attest to the fact that this works and I'm very pleased for the small amount of money it costs.
Old 01-07-2007, 12:58 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by michaelg589
my passenger will not go up unless the car is running. And when it is running, its sooo slow. BUt like others are saying, I hate doing electrical crap. WHat does that kit actually DO anyway?
It routes the passenger window motor to its own power source. Stock design has the passenger motor drawing off the driver motor.

With that said, it should answer the person who asked why they don't make one for the driver side. It's already setup the right way.

I'm by no means an electrical guru, or a car mechanic by any stretch, and I did both window motors and the kit in about 4 hours over two days. Helps that there was a guide for both. The only thing I stumbled on was the drilling. The locations of the guide for the window motors seemed off a little on a 98-02 model. Or maybe I'm just ignorant..

The schematic Autotrix gives you takes a little while to absorb (for me anyway). It started to make sense after I looked at it for a while. Other than that, the only thing that gave me hassle was getting the PCM out of the way and pulling the wires through the door.

When you go to move the PCM, take the plastic window guard off on the passenger side, pull the PCM from the plastic housing, and then pull the housing.

On the wiring through the door part, the 14mm wrench they say they used to feed it through wouldn't fit. There's a huge cluster of wires going in behind the kick panel. I used a wire hanger bent around to get them in, and the hanger got hung on another wire inside the rubber tube between the door and car. The loop of the bent hanger was what hung up.

If I had bent it around and taped it, I wouldn't have had that problem. Just don't have anything sharp sticking out on whatever you use to feed it through.

Quick Reply: What a GREAT mod! Check it out...