Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

getting valve covers ready for powder coating, got a question

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default getting valve covers ready for powder coating, got a question

Im goin to get the stock valve covers powdercoated, not sure what the surface has to be like to come out smooth. I know the powder coating will fill in small imperfections by itself, but these covers had a nasty finish. almost like they were smoothed with a putty knige instead of a typical cast finish. so I sanded them smooth (what a F'n chore that was). now Im not sure they arent too smooth. 220grit was the last step used. just curious if the powdercoat needs a rough texture to grab so it wont come off? and, there are shallow valleys in it you cant realy feel, but under certain lighting, show up in the glare.

any tips for preping for powdercoating?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

everything that gets powdercoated is usually sand blasted prior to it so that in itself should scuff up the surfave, and honestly i've never done any prep work for a friend of mine who was a powdercoater, everything was just given to him and it cam back coated with a perfect finish, everything gets sand blasted and baked at a high temp to get rid of all the dirt and sediment, in your case it was probably better to sand it down so that you dont see the coating around the bumps, but as far as adhesion goes it probably didnt make a difference.

Quick Reply: getting valve covers ready for powder coating, got a question