Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

My wax is messed up

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 05:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My wax is messed up

I have a great layer of zaino built up on the car with some meguires wax in between. The shop that I took the car to scratched the wax (not the clear coat or paint) in a couple of places. How do I get the scratches out without stripping off all the wax and doing it all over again?
Old 03-16-2007, 05:24 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had good luck with quick detailer...how do you know it isn't the clearcoat though?
Old 03-16-2007, 07:01 PM
Staging Lane

yea try quick detailer, but holy **** layering is good but so much that you can scratch the wax, that just seems extreme.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:43 PM
Staging Lane

The wax is on there thick. What helps build up the wax is the fact that I seal it with the zaino. I don't think the quick detailer is going to cut it. The scratches are into the wax pretty good. I can look to the side and see that the scratch hasn't made it through to the clear.
Old 03-16-2007, 10:56 PM
12 Second Club

that sounds like you got a LOT of wax on your car...

can we get some pics of this?
Old 03-16-2007, 11:04 PM
Staging Lane

I'll see if I can't get some pics maybe tomorrow. I don't even think it will show. I have a crappy camera.
Old 03-16-2007, 11:07 PM
12 Second Club

how thick would you say this wax is?

i am curious
Old 03-16-2007, 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

I tried with the camera but it's just not going to cut it. I'd say it's about .5-1mm thick. I tried a clay bar and it seemed to get rid of the haze where their jeans were rubbing on the car. I took some of the zaino swirl remover to the deeper scratches and then filled them in with some wax. It looks better but not like it used to. I think I'm going to take it all the way down to clear coat with some dawn dish washing liquid. I think I'll have to start over again at least on the front end. Any suggestions on what to do if they did get down into the clear coat a little bit?
Old 03-17-2007, 12:25 AM
TECH Addict

Man that is ONE THICK wax job........
Old 03-17-2007, 03:27 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone know if you are suppose to wax over after applying Zaino products like Z2 or Z3 polish?
Old 03-17-2007, 11:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

As a former distributor for the product, the philosophy was that carnauba wax or other toppers was not recommended or needed after Z-2 or Z-3 applications. However those wax products would add to the depth of darker color vehicles.

Now can you top a sealant with a wax but not the other way around. The carrier agent in many sealants will cut or remove the wax protection from the surface. Have you noticed streaking after applying those type of products on top of your wax?

If you're trying to remove the scratch, is it something you can see but not feel?

Dawn will only knock down the gloss of the product but not remove it from the surface.

If you want to address scratch removal, I recommend wash, clay bar, rinse, swab with isopropyl alcohol/distilled water to achieve a perfectly clean surface. Start with the least aggressive approach and increase as necessary.
For example by machine, we would use our product TC-8 Swirl Cutter/orange pad combo on the PC or yellow pad/mild rubbing compound if this doesn't cut enough. It may be able to be done by hand but would be time consuming.

Without seeing the condition in person, it's difficult to recommend an accurate course of treatment.

Feel free to contact us with any questions.
Old 03-17-2007, 12:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
As a former distributor for the product, the philosophy was that carnauba wax or other toppers was not recommended or needed after Z-2 or Z-3 applications. However those wax products would add to the depth of darker color vehicles.

Now can you top a sealant with a wax but not the other way around. The carrier agent in many sealants will cut or remove the wax protection from the surface. Have you noticed streaking after applying those type of products on top of your wax?

If you're trying to remove the scratch, is it something you can see but not feel?

Dawn will only knock down the gloss of the product but not remove it from the surface.

If you want to address scratch removal, I recommend wash, clay bar, rinse, swab with isopropyl alcohol/distilled water to achieve a perfectly clean surface. Start with the least aggressive approach and increase as necessary.
For example by machine, we would use our product TC-8 Swirl Cutter/orange pad combo on the PC or yellow pad/mild rubbing compound if this doesn't cut enough. It may be able to be done by hand but would be time consuming.

Without seeing the condition in person, it's difficult to recommend an accurate course of treatment.

Feel free to contact us with any questions.
Have you guys done a write up on LS1tech on how to properly wax and remove scatches from a car?! Personally I know how to do your basic waxing job but I have zero info on what cutting is or does and I wouldn't want to burn my paint using a industrial power buffer. Any info or write ups to steer me in the right direction?
Old 03-17-2007, 01:05 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

At this time, we haven't composed a "how-to" based upon your specific question. Every vehicle presents a different course of remedy.

The buffer such as the Porter Cable 7424 is very safe for beginner or novice use. With its dual action performance, it impossible to burn the paint with this machine. Short of dropping it on the vehicle, it will greatly reduce the amount of surface blemishes on the paint surface.

We are a large proponent of this machine and the various specific task foam buffing pads. We shall be announcing a forum special regarding this buffer kit early next week. Stay tuned for more details.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Pipelayaz
Have you guys done a write up on LS1tech on how to properly wax and remove scatches from a car?! Personally I know how to do your basic waxing job but I have zero info on what cutting is or does and I wouldn't want to burn my paint using a industrial power buffer. Any info or write ups to steer me in the right direction?
One of the best ways to learn is find someone in your area that is an experienced hobbyist, and is willing to show you first hand how to handle some of the issues. Steve is very correct in that using a DA (PC) is somethign anyone can learn, and pretty safe for a beginner.

No matter how well written a "how to" guide is, it can't replace hands on experience .. it is hard to explain things like pressure, speed, what the product looks like once it has broken down correctly, etc ..

Best bet is to either learn by watching and talking to someone else, or just bite the bullet, buy yourself a kit, and start practicing ..
Old 03-17-2007, 03:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gipraw
One of the best ways to learn is find someone in your area that is an experienced hobbyist, and is willing to show you first hand how to handle some of the issues. Steve is very correct in that using a DA (PC) is somethign anyone can learn, and pretty safe for a beginner.

No matter how well written a "how to" guide is, it can't replace hands on experience .. it is hard to explain things like pressure, speed, what the product looks like once it has broken down correctly, etc ..

Best bet is to either learn by watching and talking to someone else, or just bite the bullet, buy yourself a kit, and start practicing ..
I agree with hands on. But as far as biting the bullet, I saw thats what the parents car or beater is for

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
We are a large proponent of this machine and the various specific task foam buffing pads. We shall be announcing a forum special regarding this buffer kit early next week. Stay tuned for more details.
Very interested, can't wait to see the special!
Old 03-17-2007, 11:02 PM
Staging Lane

If I don't let the wax dry before taking it off I do notice some streaking. This is easily fixed by wiping it down with a microfiber cloth. I don't own a PC and I don't think I want to buy one just for this. What is the best way to strip off the wax/sealant? I think I'm just going to start over again. Is wet sanding the only way to get the scratches out of the clear coat. I don't have many so I previously just used zaino's anti-swirl compound which made every come out looking perfect.
So now I just need to find out how to strip off the wax and what I'll need to do to clean up the clear coat.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:27 AM
Launching!

^^wash and then claybar to remove wax.
Old 03-18-2007, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

OK I washed the car with Dawn and they clayed the car. I did this twice. I think all of the wax is off of the car. There are some small scratches in the clear. What should I do to get them out?
Old 03-18-2007, 09:04 PM
On The Tree

I'm pretty sure you can't scratch just the wax. That has to be a whole .00001 mm thick.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Your problem is layering like that. Use one good product and stick with it. End of story.

Use An alcohol solution as recommended earlier and strip that mess off and start over, do it as the product was intended to use. You will acheive much better results.

Quick Reply: My wax is messed up