Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Instrument Cluster LED's for '93-96 Cars

Old 04-01-2007, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Instrument Cluster LED's for '93-96 Cars

Now that I have the dash apart on my '95 car, my intention was to upgrade the gauges to use LED's. Without thinking about it, I already purchased 5 LED's from ledgauges.com, but that doesn't look like it's going to be enough! From pictures that I've seen, it looks like 97+ instrument clusters have a total of 9 bulbs, but mine has 22 bulbs! (See Pic) They are also the PC161 type where you have to replace the entire assembly - You can't remove the bulb from the base.

So, my questions are:
1. Should the same type of replacement LED's be used in the older clusters?
2. Which of the 22 bulbs should be replaced to just brighten the gauges?
3. Is this typically not done since there are so many LED's involved?
4. Are the older clusters brighter than 97+ due to the number of bulbs used?
5. Where can you get the wedge-bulb bases to hold the LED's? GM? Part#?

Thanks, John.
Old 04-01-2007, 09:13 PM
On The Tree

I can't help you with any answers, but I've been wanting to see this done on an LT1 car, good luck
Old 04-02-2007, 12:02 AM
Launching!

Q#1 is still unknown, but I've tried the bulbs that ledgauges.com supplies, and they appear to work pretty good. It seems that maybe one or two of the sockets could use a "wider" beam pattern though. I'll have to check and see what else is available.

I've found the answer to #2 while working on my car... You need to replace 7 bulbs in the 93-96 cluster just for the gauge & odometer/trip illumination.

Q#3: It only takes two additional LED's so I don't see why not. Doing all 22 may get expensive, but I don't know if I'd use the super-bright LED's for the dummy-lights... I think it may be too bright, but it would sure get your attention.

Q#4: I may take a look at my friends '97 T/A and see how bright his stock gauges are.

Q#5: I found that Kragen & Pep Boys carry the bulb bases, and sell them 1 per package for about $3.50 each. I think I can do much better than that, so I'm trying to find another source to get them in bulk.

As a bonus to all this, I found out why my trip-odometer hasn't been working since about 3 years ago (I've owned this car 12 years BTW). There is a shaft with a plastic gear which is able to move side-to-side, and moved away from the speedo drive motor's metal gear. I just pushed it back into place. I'm not yet sure what holds it in place so we'll see how long it lasts.

Here's a pic of the difference with only 2 white LED's in the right-side of the cluster - I think a standard bulb was missing in the middle too. (Sorry for the poor quality, needed a long-time exposure and just tried to steady it by hand):

They're pretty damn bright in comparison, and have a blueish tint to them as well. Overall, it looks pretty good, but I haven't been out on the road at night with them yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Instrument Cluster LED's for '93-96 Cars