Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

DETAILERS INSIDE! Someone backed into my car! :furious:

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 06:48 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default DETAILERS INSIDE! Someone backed into my car! :furious:

So I walk outside today to see something on my front bumper. WTF is that!?! Sure enough someone hit my GTO. Looks like a glancing blow from a front or rear bumper of another car. Of course so note or card about the incident. There are some real piece of **** people in this world. I park way out of the way at my apartment complex and take up a single spot all the way back. Nobody had any business being anywhere near my car with their car. Anyway, enough steaming...

Damage summary. There is one scratch about 3" long where the paint is completely gone and the clearcoat is about a 6" high and 12" long section is hazed over and scratched up. I wont have a chance to get it to paint for a few weeks so in the meantime I'm looking for a rubbing compound I can work with to minimize the damage to my eyes so I'm not livid everytime I see it because right now my blood is boiling.

Would a wetsand with 2000 grit followed by some 3M rubbing compound then some kind of filler wax/polish tide me over for a few weeks?
Old 04-05-2007, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

If the paint is knocked all the way off, you might make it worse by sanding on it. Sucks to hear man!!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

Old 04-05-2007, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Damn that sux. I hate it when I park my car as far as possible from everyone else and some stupid **** still decides to park right next to mine when there are spots open everywhere else.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

wow....sounds exactly like my story only my bumber got a crack in it! at a mall allllllll the way out there and still get hit just like you. people have no respect for other peoples properties and like you no note or anything.
Old 04-06-2007, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's down through the paint, then don't mess with it. There's nothing you can do about that, except make it worse. You may be able to minimize any brush marks or tiny scratches around it, but a deep scratch can only be filled with some touch up paint or have it all repainted.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Really sucks man, no one leaves notes anymore like they should. Probably wouldn't bother me too much but you seem like a guy who would notice. Sanding etc your car may make it worse. I would just have to suck it up and get it fixed professionally if I was in your situation. It sucks but when **** like this happens you just gotta suck it up, sorry.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how can you have the paint gone but the clear coat remains? or did I not read that right?
Old 04-06-2007, 04:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

post some pics so we can see what we are dealing with, I had the same thing happen to me man, someone backed into my front bumper and cracked the clear coat and left some scuffs, that kinda **** just always makes my day
Old 04-06-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

We need to see a picture to get a better idea of what it looks like. From what you are saying, I wouldn't touch it.
Old 04-06-2007, 01:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

It must be a combination of missing paint and scuffs which are in the clearcoat, 908Z. Just like mine when someone hit it in a parking lot as well a few weeks ago. Post some pictures.
Old 04-06-2007, 06:26 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Try getting some touch -up for the scratch where the paint is missing. Since its on the bumper you really shouldn't wetsand it much at all it will just go through real easy. But, I would get some rubbing compound (blue coral quick cut or similar) and go over it about 1000 rpms with a buffer on a synthetic wool pad back and forth in an even slow motion until the scratches reside and become less visible. Let the bumper cool off for a few seconds and then apply some polishing compound with a foam pad at 1k rpms and go over slowly to take the swirl markings out from the rubbing compound. That should make it look alot better. Also with the touch up paint put in on 1 coating at a time and take a square rubber squeege to flatten the paint so it works into the scratch and looks smooth. You don't want a blotted touch up.
If you don't have a buffer, then rubbing compound with your hand is all you can do.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:17 PM
Sold The Fun Stuff :(

The effected area is about 6" high and 12" wide in diameter where the clearcoat is heavily scratched. In the middle of this scratched area there is a 3" long scratch thats probably 1/8" tall down to the black urethane of the bumper where there is no paint anymore.

Looks like wetsanding is out until I touch it up. Going to my local GM dealer to get some Spice Red touch-up paint ASAP. In the meantime I dropped by Advanced Auto and got some wetordry sandpaper. I'm going to tape off the bumper, then lay a piece of tape over the section where there is no paint, and work on the larger section that is scratched up (1000 grit, then 1500, then 2000). I also got some Turtle Wax heavy duty rubbing compound, polishing compound, and some generic scratch remover. Going to hit it by hand with the HD compound, the generic stuff, then the scratch remover after I lightly wetsand the bumper. Hopefully I'll get rid of most of the scratches and minimize the scratches right around the area where the paint is gone. Then I'll do a meticulous touch-up job. Hopefully when its all said and done it'll prevent me from having to get it repainted... not because I'm not willing to shell out the money to get it repainted. I just dont want to risk it being even the slightest shade off right now. Repaint will be the last option.
Old 04-06-2007, 08:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Tha's sux!I stiil think you have the best looking new model GTO though.
Old 04-07-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't think that the GM touch up paint will be a very good match. From outside of 10', it might be an OK look though. Your car is very nice, I can't see the generic touch up being a good option.
Old 04-07-2007, 07:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by josh99ta
So I walk outside today to see something on my front bumper. WTF is that!?! Sure enough someone hit my GTO. Looks like a glancing blow from a front or rear bumper of another car. Of course so note or card about the incident. There are some real piece of **** people in this world. I park way out of the way at my apartment complex and take up a single spot all the way back. Nobody had any business being anywhere near my car with their car. Anyway, enough steaming...

Damage summary. There is one scratch about 3" long where the paint is completely gone and the clearcoat is about a 6" high and 12" long section is hazed over and scratched up. I wont have a chance to get it to paint for a few weeks so in the meantime I'm looking for a rubbing compound I can work with to minimize the damage to my eyes so I'm not livid everytime I see it because right now my blood is boiling.

Would a wetsand with 2000 grit followed by some 3M rubbing compound then some kind of filler wax/polish tide me over for a few weeks?
Dude are you ******* serious!!!
Some **** bag just hit my bumper...Must be all the hate for our wheels.

Now I never leave my car anywhere somebody could hit it except when I go to my Fiance's house so it must of happened there. The scuff marks look fairly deep but I am hoping it didn't take the paint off which is what I think happened. I plan to hit it up with some clay and prey it is just scuff. When I realize it isn't, I'll break out the PC and start buffing. I'm going to be pissed, I already know it
Old 04-07-2007, 09:49 AM
Launching!

With a car that nice you should consider turning it in to your insurance on your comprehensive coverage which is a non-moving claim intended for these type of things. Vandilism, etc. Usually your deductable is much lower on comprehensive coverage and since it is a non-moving claim your rates should not chamge at all. Check into it 'cause I dont think you will be happy with your results on such a nice car. It will drive you nuts knowing it is there. Just my .02 cents.
Old 04-07-2007, 01:12 PM
TECH Resident

Get rid of the car, Buy a house with a garage, then re-buy car
Old 04-07-2007, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm pretty sure, not positive, if the damage is from another car they would consider that collision. For it to be covered under comprehesive it would have to be from something like a baseball or some type of vandalism. So if you can look at it and say it was conceivably from something other than a car you could try to plead your case.

Somebody drilled my GN real good with a door, it had to be on purpose and very hard. I told the ins that it was from a baseball bat that a little kid accidently threw and I got it fixed for free, $0 comp. They just asked the shop if it looked like a baseball bat could have caused it and they just said "Yeah, it's possible". At that time the first thing the ins. co. asked me was if the dent was from another car or not because they said it wasn't covered under comp if it was from somebody's door, it would be collision, which is a $500 ded.

Quick Reply: DETAILERS INSIDE! Someone backed into my car! :furious: