Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Autometer 2-1/16" Gauges...Can they be disassembled?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Autometer 2-1/16" Gauges...Can they be disassembled?

Are Autometer gauges able to be disassembled....and then also re-assembled without damage?

I have two 2-1/16" boost gauges, one electrical and the other is mechanical. I want to swap the front-face of the electrical gauge onto the mechanical one. (The electical gauge is one that Autometer supplied for an OEM application & has both a unique faceplate and unique electrical workings....I only want to scavenge the faceplate and needle & put it onto my mech gauge)

It appears the only way to "disassemble" them is to remove the round bezel...but I have no idea just how the bezel is attached to the rest of the gauge's housing? Has anyone been brave enough (or had a broken one) that they disassembled one, and can shed some light on my question?

Thanks!
Old 05-07-2007, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My buddy wanted to do the same thing, he ended up sending his gauges to Autometer and they charged him next to nothing to do the swap for him.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

So can autometer customize the rings for any gauge?
Old 05-08-2007, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1owner4life
So can autometer customize the rings for any gauge?
You have to buy the gauge and send it to Autometer to swap out the bezel.
Old 05-08-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im pretty sure the way they crimp those bezels on there you cant get them off. I think they cut them off, then install a new one after making repairs. Its a one time deal.

I wanted to get inside one before, and I thought about using a dremel to cut as far to the rear of the gauge as possible on the bezel. Then just use glue to put it back in place. Depending on how you mount it and how nice you cut it it shouldnt be too visible.

Otherwise send it back and they will do whatever you want. Once you buy the gauges they will pretty much do whatever you ask them to.

Justin
Old 05-08-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I wish that was the case.

I called them this afternoon, spoke to a real d*ck on the phone ("Jim"), and he gave me a resounding 'NO', we can't and don't swap the faces. He cited that they're calibrated differently (uhhh...no, its a gauge-face, and both are full-sweep), needles are different, etc. etc. etc. All BS, obviously.

I'll try again tomorrow and hope I get a different tech service person...because Jim apparently had no idea what I was talking about, and wasn't in a mood to understand it either.
Old 05-08-2007, 07:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Huh... thats weird. All the times Ive called them they have been really nice and helpful. I guess its possible you got that one asshat on the wrong day...

Try again and see what you get.

J.

Quick Reply: Autometer 2-1/16" Gauges...Can they be disassembled?