Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Door Panel Crack Repair

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2007, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door Panel Crack Repair

Has anyone had any luck with the repair of the door panel cracks. I found a thread on another LS site where the author used #4 machine screws, washer, & nut in an oval hole to allow the panel to flex. He also removed all but one of the factory installed staples. After radiusing the crack he used JB weld w/ some plastic as backing. I used two-part urthane epoxy and #6 machine screws. Waiting on the epoxy to set then trial fit the door panel. Hope the #6 screw are not too big.
Old 05-12-2007, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pontiac-firebird-1967-2002/440767-cracked-interior-door-panel-don-t-quote-pics.html

what ur lookin for is in this sticky
Old 05-16-2007, 09:30 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave, how did the panels fit after the modifications? Can the screws scratch the glass in any way? How does the door panel (stress wise) with the window down?
Old 05-16-2007, 06:46 PM
On The Tree

Rocky,
I'm currently working nights for this week and haven't been able to finish the mod. I have the panels expoxied and screws in the passenger side panel. I'm hoping to be done on this assignment by the weekend. With luck, I should be able to trial fit everything and get some answers back to you. I did notice that the vinyl repair kit doesn't hide the crack well in the plastic. It would not adhear to the plastic. Several threads mention using the vinyl/leather repair kit to match the texture and hide the crack on the interior. Not sure how they got it to work, but it wouldn't for me.
Old 05-17-2007, 10:29 AM
Staging Lane

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I actually did this to my WS6 and I too, used bolts. But mine were #4-40 that I cut down. I was just wondering if you've had any negative affects from the screws. I haven't yet, and don't expect to, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I do, however, think that this is a permanent fix and that no more cracking will occur, but only time will tell.

I hadn't seen the other site that shows the screws. Have a link for it?

Update:

I found the link. http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=340995

Crazy, I did the EXACT same thing to mine!

Last edited by Rocky Rotella; 05-17-2007 at 10:36 AM.
Old 05-17-2007, 06:13 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella
I actually did this to my WS6 and I too, used bolts. But mine were #4-40 that I cut down. I was just wondering if you've had any negative affects from the screws. I haven't yet, and don't expect to, but I thought I'd ask anyway. I do, however, think that this is a permanent fix and that no more cracking will occur, but only time will tell.

I hadn't seen the other site that shows the screws. Have a link for it?

Update:

I found the link. http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...hreadid=340995

Crazy, I did the EXACT same thing to mine!
When I went to the nearest hardware store, I was unable to find #4-40 bolts and nuts. I used #6 and trimmed down. Hopefully, there will not be any issue with fit.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:40 PM
On The Tree

Rocky,
I trial fitted the passenger door panel this evening. I raised the window a couple of times. No signs of rubbing with the #6 bolts/nuts. Hopefully this will cure furture cracking.

Dave
Old 05-26-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dave1970
After radiusing the crack he used JB weld w/ some plastic as backing. I used two-part urthane epoxy and #6 machine screws. Waiting on the epoxy to set then trial fit the door panel. Hope the #6 screw are not too big.
What do you mean by radiusing the crack?
Old 05-27-2007, 02:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by prince xizor
What do you mean by radiusing the crack?
At the end of the crack, put a radius like a circle there. It helps increase the surface area and reduce stress risers in that area.

Dave
Old 05-27-2007, 02:54 PM
Dan
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used little bolts & nuts on mine, I had them on hand & they fit perfect, no rubbing. I didn't pull every single staple, only the ones that you can see stress on the plastic. I think I will be okay for a while.

Quick Reply: Door Panel Crack Repair