Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Trans Am Front Fender Vents

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2007, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Trans Am Front Fender Vents

I want to put some mood lighting in the vents on the side of my 99 trans am. What is the easiest way to get back there? Do I have to take the whole fender off or is there some kind of easy access panel. Any help or pictures would be appreciated!

Old 09-24-2007, 04:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by The Trans Am Kid
I want to put some mood lighting in the vents on the side of my 99 trans am.
Don't you use mood lighting when you are trying to get some ***?
Old 09-24-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

and some Barry White to seal the deal

It is a tight fit to get in there without taking the fender off. Pop the vents off and see if you have enough room to work before going ahead with fender removal. I've been toying around with leds in my hood and side vents as well. Maybe someone that has completed it can chime in.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Remove the plastic inner fender panels - you can get alot better access to behind the vents from that direction
Old 09-24-2007, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

take the tire off and remove the wheel liner you should be able to get in from there with plenty of room.... just for the record... they might be kool in the ws6 if you have nitrous purges otu of them (the colored light ones)... but in the side vents is gay... just warning you its a bit ricey....
Old 09-24-2007, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

I don't see what the point of all that work is. The things just pop off
Old 09-25-2007, 12:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Open your door like one notch and you can see them inside there. They have two "clips" so to speak. Get someone with skinny arms and they might have some room to work, but it looks like pulling fender may be in your future.
Old 09-25-2007, 02:54 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I pulled mine out and painted them all you have to do is remove your fender liner and squeeze the clips and they pop right out its no big deal.
Old 09-25-2007, 03:12 AM
TECH Addict

I don't see what the point of all that work is. The things just pop off
He wants to install lights behind the vents - there's no room to be able to do that by just removing the vents...
Old 09-25-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by transmaro93
take the tire off and remove the wheel liner you should be able to get in from there with plenty of room.... just for the record... they might be kool in the ws6 if you have nitrous purges otu of them (the colored light ones)... but in the side vents is gay... just warning you its a bit ricey....
I am sick of this ricer comment ****. Then don't post if you don't like it. It's just a couple lights, not a coffee can exhaust with underbody lights and a ten foot wing on the back.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:44 PM
TECH Addict

Ah, now I feel bad - I have undercar LED's on my TA

And red neon accent lighting under the hood - looks great at nite reflecting off all that chrome.

Not ricey around where I live, in fact, many of the muscle cars and street rods have undercar lighting and neon accent lighting...
Old 09-25-2007, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Leds are cool and purists who think otherwise look to history and remember that it started on hot rods. Ricers overdo everything so to say the idea is ricer is silly. The Trans Am Kid just wants to accent the coolest part of the fender instead of flooding the whole underside of the car like ricers. Things done in moderation can be cool. Thats why I'm tired of reading some person on the keyboard exclaim that something different is rice. Its not rice its just not for you so save everybody from those kind of comments.
Old 09-25-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That idea of mood lights does sound good to me, I would try led lights hooked inline to the turn signal lamps, so they light up only with the blinker.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WS6Jim
Leds are cool and purists who think otherwise look to history and remember that it started on hot rods. Ricers overdo everything so to say the idea is ricer is silly. The Trans Am Kid just wants to accent the coolest part of the fender instead of flooding the whole underside of the car like ricers. Things done in moderation can be cool. Thats why I'm tired of reading some person on the keyboard exclaim that something different is rice. Its not rice its just not for you so save everybody from those kind of comments.
Thank you sir. You understand where I am coming from and I totally agree with you. This is a smart man here! Thanks bro
Old 09-26-2007, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by transam5.7lt1
That idea of mood lights does sound good to me, I would try led lights hooked inline to the turn signal lamps, so they light up only with the blinker.
that would be cool but I want to add mine to an rpm modulator so it lights up to the engine rev
Old 09-26-2007, 09:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WS6Jim
that would be cool but I want to add mine to an rpm modulator so it lights up to the engine rev

ok now i'm interested
Old 09-26-2007, 09:59 PM
On The Tree

Mood lights like these?

I built these about 2 years ago. Its five amber superflux leds per side. I have these set up to be on anytime the parking or headlights are on. BTW, I installed these by only removing the vents and squeezing my hands inside. Its a little rough on the wrists, but its better than pulling everything apart.
I like these because the are not overly bright, but on a dark road with no illumination they will throw a honeycomb pattern from the vents onto the road or a passing cars quarter panel.
Old 09-26-2007, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like how redls1bird's looks but...... I think there should be a block off so the light doesnt shine into the door gap.. It would look cleaner IMO..

But It would be crazy if it lit up to the RPM's.. Like the higher the rpm the brighter the light
Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by The Black Pearl
I like how redls1bird's looks but...... I think there should be a block off so the light doesnt shine into the door gap.. It would look cleaner IMO..

But It would be crazy if it lit up to the RPM's.. Like the higher the rpm the brighter the light
block off is easy to do. i think it'd be harder to do the rpm thing. ANd if you wanted them to blind with your turn signals you'd have to get an electronic flasher so you don't ruin your leds with a thermal flasher.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The RPM thing would look amazing!

Quick Reply: Trans Am Front Fender Vents