Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Question for the HID guru's on the new D4R bulbs

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Question for the HID guru's on the new D4R bulbs

I was researching what type of lighting the Toyota Prius' have after there has been much question about it considering they have HID's but don't have projector housings. Apparently, they come with the new D4R (R stands for an HID bulb for a reflector housing as compared to projector) which is much like the previous D2R's but use less wattage (correct me if I'm wrong). So, this leads me to my inquisition... how do you think these new D4R's would perform in our stock housings? I realize they certainly are not made for it, but IF people INSIST on putting HID's in reflector housings, why not go with these new ones that are at least designed for that type of housing?

I'm interested to get everyone's feedback on this.
Old 12-13-2007, 01:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds to me like you're a good candidate to give it a try How much do they run?
Old 12-13-2007, 03:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

I found these links for the D4x bulbs...

Review of the D4S bulbs (in a *reflector* housing, I assume, since he said he asked for the D4R's and got the D4S projector bulbs instead, but used them anyway)... ... can anyone (from Canada) report back as to whether the Acura EL up there has projectors or reflectors?
http://forums.clubel.ca/showthread.php?p=259947

Some more info on the light output and difference between these bulbs and the previous D2x stuff...
http://www.hidexpert.com/producthtml/xeneco_kit.html

There is a good pic of the cutoff against a wall, but it says nothing about whether these were in projector lenses or reflector, and which bulb was used...
Old 12-13-2007, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

hmm. . . u might be on to something. gotta agree with brian, u are the expert candidate.
Old 12-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Banned

The D4R and D4S series bulbs are simply the same thing as the D2S and D2R bulbs that come in most vehicles. Toyota and Lexus vehicles now come equipped with the D4* bulbs. They are all 4800k, but the main reason for the change is that they do not contain mercury and are safer for the environment when disposed of. Pretty much follows the trend of the Prius and their smug owners.

I found most of the OEM toyota D4* hid "kits" are much cheaper than the Hella but still have the quality of OEM. But like I said there is no difference between a D2R and a D4R besides the color temp and chemical make-up. You could use a D2R bulb out of an older acura CL or an Escalade too.

Oh and you need a D4* type ballasts too.
Old 12-13-2007, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DirtyBird222
The D4R and D4S series bulbs are simply the same thing as the D2S and D2R bulbs that come in most vehicles. Toyota and Lexus vehicles now come equipped with the D4* bulbs. They are all 4800k, but the main reason for the change is that they do not contain mercury and are safer for the environment when disposed of. Pretty much follows the trend of the Prius and their smug owners.

I found most of the OEM toyota D4* hid "kits" are much cheaper than the Hella but still have the quality of OEM. But like I said there is no difference between a D2R and a D4R besides the color temp and chemical make-up. You could use a D2R bulb out of an older acura CL or an Escalade too.

Oh and you need a D4* type ballasts too.
Well, the D4's are supposed to be more efficient by running at a lower wattage and producing a lesser "yellow" light. I don't see any reason to go back to D2's at the moment.
Old 12-14-2007, 09:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check this out:

http://www.suvlights.com/information.php?info_id=32
Old 12-14-2007, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

That's good info right there. If only they had some contrasting pictures to show for examples.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ArcticZ28
That's good info right there. If only they had some contrasting pictures to show for examples.
I was given this link about a year ago and I believe it did show contrasting results with actually better final results. But I can't for the life of me find that link again

Quick Reply: Question for the HID guru's on the new D4R bulbs