Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Anyone with experience!! Need some troubleshooting of HID's

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 08:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone with experience!! Need some troubleshooting of HID's

I just bought an HID conversion for my 01' Z28 that is the complete headlight assembly with the HID's pre-installed. The set is the xenon black halo healdights if anyone has seen them. Anyhow, when I got them I installed them and tried turning them on however, the driver side ballast will turn the light on for about 10-15 secs and turn off but the passenger side works just fine. I had that ballast sent back and replaced but the one I got back is doing the same thing. I switched the good ballast to the driver side and am getting the same problem so I am thinking it has something to do with the HID light itself. I did try switching the "bad" ballast to the passenger side just to see and it still does not function right so on top of having a bad ballast, the driver side will not function properly either way. Also, if it has any effect knowing that the HID lights are gasses the driver side lens fogs over after the light has been on. If anyone knows anything about what it might be I would definitely appreciate the help.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

sounds like a bad lamp to me. HID lamps will start to "cycle" on/off when they are at the end of their life. Was the conversion new?

-brian
Old 01-20-2008, 08:32 PM
Teching In

Yes they are new but I did buy them off ebay so to the best of my knowledge and by looking they should be new. I have only been able to communicate with the seller through email and judging by the ebay store I think its some chinese guy. They came from City of Industry California.
Old 01-20-2008, 08:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea its tough dealer with guys like that. I would def assume it to be the lamp. I work in the lighting industry (commercial) and have personally seen how the HID finally show their failure. They will fire up and be ok, then it will cutout. It will cool down, the light will restrike and it will go through the same pattern.

good luck with getting it replaced.

-Brian
Old 01-20-2008, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Try a relay harness. That usually solves any related HID issues. It could be that the ballasts are not getting enough power from factory wiring.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:41 PM
Teching In

ok so if it is just the light itself what am i looking at for price to replace it and where do I find just the bulb??
Old 01-20-2008, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

got mine from the same place on ebay..did you cutt off the factory clips that went to the old headlight and splice them into the connections for the HID? When i did it the connection there was not good and the lights would turn off. went in and spliced them better and now everthing has been fine for 6 months.
Old 01-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Teching In

Well, the only thing with doing that is my passenger side lights work just fine. Its the driver side that is having issues so I'm not sure that is the problem. I have had my wiring checked and it seems to be fine.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey when you get it fixed, could you post up some pics, im thinking of doing it to my headlights and fogs
Old 01-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Teching In

Yeah I will post pics I think it looks really good. I also got the clear marker lights with the black background and put silverstar amber lights in. It is a unique look and i like it on a black car.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:25 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 328 Likes on 246 Posts

take the bulb out of the side that is messing up and swap it to the side that works be sure not to touch the glass on the bulbs, if it goes out again then its the bulb, i had a buddy of mine have this problem they would run for a little bit but the one on the driver side would buzz and then kick off. his was still under warranty from the company we got them from. so they sent him another bulb. try switching them around that should tell you something atleast, if the driver side still goes out i would then look into the relay option
Old 01-30-2008, 03:33 PM
TECH Junkie

I ordered a set yesterday, hope they work
Old 02-01-2008, 05:30 PM
Teching In

well the place i got them is not responding back so does anyone know where i can get just a replacement bulb? i found a different place to get a new ballast to replace the bad one again but they want 150 for both sides even though i only need one but they sell them in pairs so does that sound reasonable price wise?
Old 02-01-2008, 05:32 PM
TECH Junkie

ebay they are like 20 bucks
Old 02-01-2008, 10:32 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blackz28grl
I just bought an HID conversion for my 01' Z28 that is the complete headlight assembly with the HID's pre-installed. The set is the xenon black halo healdights if anyone has seen them. Anyhow, when I got them I installed them and tried turning them on however, the driver side ballast will turn the light on for about 10-15 secs and turn off but the passenger side works just fine. I had that ballast sent back and replaced but the one I got back is doing the same thing. I switched the good ballast to the driver side and am getting the same problem so I am thinking it has something to do with the HID light itself. I did try switching the "bad" ballast to the passenger side just to see and it still does not function right so on top of having a bad ballast, the driver side will not function properly either way. Also, if it has any effect knowing that the HID lights are gasses the driver side lens fogs over after the light has been on. If anyone knows anything about what it might be I would definitely appreciate the help.

I can not help you with the light problems but welcome to the boards.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:31 AM
On The Tree

better to buy bulbs in pairs for color matching purposes. i found out first hand.
Old 02-02-2008, 04:32 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by The Guz
Try a relay harness. That usually solves any related HID issues. It could be that the ballasts are not getting enough power from factory wiring.

where can you get these kits? is there a certain one needed?
Old 02-03-2008, 12:09 PM
Teching In

all the bulbs I have found on ebay that say they are HID's have turned out to be really crappy I have ordered a few different ones. I dont want them to have a blue tint either I am looking for the authentic bright white HID's. If anyone knows of an internet site that might sell these for my application please let me know, I have been having to drive around with just my brights. luckily my car sits low enough that it doesnt blind anyone
Old 02-03-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackz28grl
all the bulbs I have found on ebay that say they are HID's have turned out to be really crappy I have ordered a few different ones. I dont want them to have a blue tint either I am looking for the authentic bright white HID's. If anyone knows of an internet site that might sell these for my application please let me know, I have been having to drive around with just my brights. luckily my car sits low enough that it doesnt blind anyone
Get the 4000k as this is closest to white you can get. The factory hids have 4000 to 5000k. The higher the number the more color in the bulb. The 10000k are purple.

Also, may sound stupid but I have to ask, is the motor on when you test the lights? My bike has a similiar problem, only one lights up when the motor is off, but both are running when the motor is on. In my case it might just be too little juice getting to the ballast when the engine is off.
Old 02-06-2008, 11:26 AM
Teching In

Actually I have tried it both ways with the engine running and just with the key on and seem to have the same problem. I am going to try switching the bulbs next then possibly just ordering new ones. I know I do have to get a new ballast as well but I'm sure I will have to buy a pair again. If that doesnt work then I will have to try the relay harness. This seemingly simple project has turned out to be a headache. I'd almost rather be doing this much work on the motor.

Quick Reply: Anyone with experience!! Need some troubleshooting of HID's