Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

making my own shift boot...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default making my own shift boot...

i'm making my own shift boot today.. got some nice almost leather feeling vinyl from the materials store yesterday. does anyone have a template for this?

by the way, i'm not just going to cover up the little shifter plastic things, i'm going to be putting it over most of the shifter plate, like this.

what should I use to cut the shifter plate? I was figuring i'd cut the plastic shifter plate, or just cut a slit in it to the left of the thing saying what gear you're in and just threading the material through there and securing it.. um... anyone ever done this before on an auto? or am i just stupid in thinking this will work?
Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 PM
TECH Apprentice

it almost feels like no one ever even looks at my threads whenever i make them.. not sure why.. but anyone? i would buy the redline shift boot or whatever if it was bigger/went over the shift plate... just looks kinda hokey when it's just covering the actual shifter, in my honest opinion.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

let me see pics when u are done
Old 02-08-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

lol... i'm just looking for some tips right now.. i have no idea really how to make it... i'm assuming im just going to sew four triangular pieces of the material together, just don't know how much.. or how to go about fastening it down.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you cut the plate, you're are going to have to come up with a way to make a clip/retainer. Much harder than the boot itself. If you keep the same dimensions, then all you have to do is turn the boot inside out and trace it.
Old 02-08-2008, 06:33 PM
FormerVendor

im going to take a crack at doing this in a few weeks. I just plan to cut the stitching on the original shift boot and trace the four pieces on to my material. as far as the stitching of it, ill have to fine someone. and i would retain the stock retainer as well
Old 02-08-2008, 06:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check my feedback for the link for my transaction with Farmer. He sells stainless steel clips which are far better than the cheap plastic OEM ones.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:58 PM
Staging Lane

when I bought my 95 auto z28 it had the auto shift plate cut out and a shift boot(cheap one). It started coming off so I glued it on from the inside of the shifter plate with superglue and it looks good.Then I ended up removing the stock shifter and replaced it with an SLP leather M6 shift ****. Everyone thinks its a manual and its funny how at the mechanic shop they get in and start looking down at the pedals looking for the clutch and they cant find it.
Old 02-09-2008, 12:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
im going to take a crack at doing this in a few weeks. I just plan to cut the stitching on the original shift boot and trace the four pieces on to my material. as far as the stitching of it, ill have to fine someone. and i would retain the stock retainer as well
there is no original shift boot for me to use as a template... i don't have a manual, nor do i have access to an extra M6 shift boot... that's why I was hoping that someone else had done it like this before...

Quick Reply: making my own shift boot...