Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

best way to clean up/ protect paint..

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 09:23 PM
scj
TECH Addict

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Default best way to clean up/ protect paint..

i have a '95 firebird, and i want to clean/protect the paint job that's on it already..

what would be the best combination of things to use, and processes to keep it looking good.

i've heard about clay bar, but i'm not really sure what it is..
it's good to do after a wash and before a wax.

if i washed, and got some clay bar, what other processes and products should i use to protect the paint...

and what's the difference between at wax, and a sealant?
Old 04-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check out tropi care's line they have kits you can do, But I did wash claybar(you can get at autozone) then maybe a swirl cutter like the one from tropi care and then sealant/wax which as far as I know is the same thing.
Old 04-03-2008, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Zaino
Old 04-03-2008, 11:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i love my blackmagic quick detailer after you get the car washed/waxed whatever. i used maguires quick detailer for 5years and just moved to the BLACKMAGIC QUICK DETAILER. it comes out in a foam. just put it on a soft terry cloth and do panels at a time. my paint is red and i love it. the way i look at it is you have to find the right one for certain colors of paint.i also love " ZYMOL NATURAL LIQUID AUTO Polish " on my car.
good luck
Old 04-04-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Ultimate Protection: Collinite. I use 885. My every day cars wear it all year around.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Unless you prepare the surface before using any of these protection products mentioned, it won't make any difference which one is used. You won't be satisfied with the results and the protection won't last as long.

Using the clay bar after washing off the heavy dirt is just the beginning. Once you have exposed all the blemishes, you can do this by hand and come up with a clean shiny surface but not make much of difference in removing the scratches.

Safe, user-friendly machines such as the Porter Cable, UDM or Flex make the real difference in restoring the surface. Different color foam pads and chemicals give you a whole range of results from leveling the clear coat to applying non-abrasive sealants.

Sealants such as our TC-3 xP liquid is a synthetic polymer based non-abrasive which when applied regularly provides long term protection. It can be done by hand or machine with a blue or black foam pad, dries quickly and removes very easily to reveal a crystal clear high gloss reflection. In comparison, our liquid or paste wax can be applied as a stand alone product or after the TC-3 sealant has cured for several hours to give depth to darker colors.

Feel free to contact us with any questions at steve@tropi-care.com or call-toll-free at (866)341-0050.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What's the best claybar to use. Wax wise I usually go with Mothers California gold or NXT. I'm new to using claybar and there is so many different ones to choose from so just curious if I do claybar what kind I should use.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:00 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 1 Bad *** Formula
What's the best claybar to use. Wax wise I usually go with Mothers California gold or NXT. I'm new to using claybar and there is so many different ones to choose from so just curious if I do claybar what kind I should use.
In my experience, clay is clay. I've used Clay Magic, Mothers, and Zaino's claybar and they're all the same.

-Mike
Old 04-04-2008, 04:52 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We did a demo/detail last weekend using multiple clay varieties on a GTO. Gray mild by Clay Magic, blue poly clay variety as described like "Ricardo's", and a gold/yellow variety similar to Mother's. One detailer used the blue version on an area in the first pass. He came back with the gray CM version and continued to remove contaminants after the blue use. They make look and feel the same but they sure don't clean the same.

The red Clay Magic "medium" version is very aggressive and will leave micro-marring on the surface after use. It is usually used by paint and body shop pros.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:06 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS1 Eddie
Ultimate Protection: Collinite. I use 885. My every day cars wear it all year around.
This stuff is great.

I used this stuff for the longest time, now i cant find it anywhere here locally, where did find it???

Thanks...
--Mike