Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Scratches

OK, so I bought my 2002 Camaro LE a week or so ago and as I have said in a couple other threads...the car does need a little TLC. One of the problems is the car has a couple key scratches. Apparently, the previous owner pissed some friend of his off and he decided to run a key across the Camaro a couple times.

Anyway, it has a couple scratches...including one pretty good one on the hood. The hood scratch is a "chattering" scratch that goes through the paint. The others aren't quite so bad.

What I was wondering is...if someone could give me some advice about masking the scratches. Perhaps suggest some waxes, compounds, ect. that might help hide them a bit. I don't have the money to get the area's repainted right now and I just want to see if I can buff and polish them so maybe they turn redish again. I don't know if its possible, but I figured you guys would know.

Thanks!!!

...and yes, I know it needs a bath. Thats going to happen tomorrow.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Resident

yikes..hit it with a porter cable, i was amazed at some of the scuffs similar to yours that came out
Old 04-13-2008, 10:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

I would say a porter cable and some swirl/cutting compound. The deeper they are the more aggressive you will need to be.
Old 04-13-2008, 10:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by motoo344
I would say a porter cable and some swirl/cutting compound. The deeper they are the more aggressive you will need to be.
Ditto, At the least the Porter Cable will knock them down a bit. For some of the deeper ones you might have to use a rotary buffer.
Old 04-13-2008, 11:00 PM
pit
Staging Lane

I dont know how skilled you are and what tools you have acces to but heres some ideas im a pro. detailer(really thats my 9-5) si i know this stuff works. You will an , sanding block ,buffer,1500 sandpaper and 2000 sandpaper, rubing compound , wax and a product called quick cut by blue corral .First clean the area very well remove all debris and wax. Next take your you 1500 grit sand paper and in an x motion with light pressure sand the scratch and small are around to a dull finish but be gentel you can break thru the paint after a while .after that whip the are clean ,now your going to get a bucket of water or a hose and your going to wetsand over the area you just sanded with the 2000 grit paper making sure to keep the area wet thru this step. Once you have completed this step you must wipe the area clean again and get ready to buff . I would recommed you use the quick cut but if you cand find it you can do this with just the rubbing compound . First apply compound prepped area with rag, then with buffer set to 1k-1500 rpm go over area in a checker board pattern , this insures no area is missed. Next wipe clean and check for and small scratches still left then repeat process with a litle bit more pressure , but again be careful you can burn into the paint if you say in one spot to long .Last Wipe area clean and apply wax , this process wil knock out most scratches but if they are thru the paint you wil need to touch up if the are just in the clear this will remove almost the whole scratch . If you have any questions or want to know how to do a correct touchup shoot me a pm. Hopefuly this helps you out some and if not sorry for the suoer long post .lol
Old 04-13-2008, 11:05 PM
TECH Addict

ditto to what was just posted above and i have a guide for you aswell for buffing if you interested. but heres the thing most scratches if you can feel them with your nail or after wetsanding you can still feel them they aint coming out. i wouldnt reccommend wetsanding the factory clear unless you know what your doing.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:55 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Fast_94_Z
ditto to what was just posted above and i have a guide for you aswell for buffing if you interested. but heres the thing most scratches if you can feel them with your nail or after wetsanding you can still feel them they aint coming out. i wouldnt reccommend wetsanding the factory clear unless you know what your doing.
Bingo....

I also professionally detail cars (not my 9-5 but a on the side thing). If those scratches are as you described, and its through the paint, then the best you can do is make them look better. Personally I would try polishing them the best you can before going aggressive to sanding.

If you cant live with it.... start getting quotes on paint.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:54 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Avengeance
Bingo....

I also professionally detail cars (not my 9-5 but a on the side thing). If those scratches are as you described, and its through the paint, then the best you can do is make them look better. Personally I would try polishing them the best you can before going aggressive to sanding.

If you cant live with it.... start getting quotes on paint.
I definitely second the motion about starting with the least aggressive tactic before increasing. Pros with experience will definitely have their course of action ready to deal with these scratches. Beginners or novices may quickly realize that they are over their heads and make them appear even worse. Get your painter's number ready to "speed-dial" just in case.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:42 AM
Staging Lane

Oh, I know for sure that this needs to be repainted. Its definitely through the paint (at least the hood scratch is). What I am looking for is suggestions on waxes and polishing compounds that might work the best for making it look a little better.
Old 04-14-2008, 12:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Steve@Tropi-Care
I definitely second the motion about starting with the least aggressive tactic before increasing. Pros with experience will definitely have their course of action ready to deal with these scratches. Beginners or novices may quickly realize that they are over their heads and make them appear even worse. Get your painter's number ready to "speed-dial" just in case.
I completely agree....least aggressive first for beginners or novice

Quick Reply: Scratches