LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Appearance & Detailing (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing-18/)
-   -   Do I NEED high temp spray paint for calipers? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/924871-do-i-need-high-temp-spray-paint-calipers.html)

cascadesys 05-21-2008 10:16 PM

Do I NEED high temp spray paint for calipers?

I'm currently installing my new Eradispeed rotors, hawk HPS pads, and stainless steel brake lines, and have my calipers off. They were painted red already by a guy at work with an air brush, nothing too fancy, just a single coat while they were still on the rotor, so only the side that is showing is painted. I have some Rust-oleum "Painter's Touch Gloss" spray paint here in apple red that is for "indoor and outdoor metal," however I hear a lot of people say you should use high temperature engine paint for brake calipers. Do I need this, or will this stuff work fine? I plan on spraying on several coats, then covering it with a coat or two of crystal clear enamel. Thoughts?

litemup02 05-23-2008 03:36 AM

Or you can just get the brake caliper paint. Got mine at wal-mart. Not really sure if its for higher temps or not. Doubt they get hot enough to use engine paint.

02WS6_TA 05-23-2008 04:03 AM

I just bought the brush kit from auto zone for like $20. Turned out great, I have a friend that done this on his TA with the rattle can caliper paint. His turned out good to, I would probably play it safe and get the paint for the calipers. It would look pretty bad if you got them done and they started to flake. IMO

colby72olds 05-23-2008 09:15 AM

I did mine in high temp. about 9 months ago and they still look the same.

98trans am 05-23-2008 09:29 AM

it depends on the type of driving you do. for normal street driving you don't need high temp. i used the same paint that's on my car. if you do any kind of racing you will need high temp, especially road racing.

LT1-DAN 05-23-2008 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by 98trans am (Post 9419025)
it depends on the type of driving you do. for normal street driving you don't need high temp. i used the same paint that's on my car. if you do any kind of racing you will need high temp, especially road racing.

X2. I used a regular oil based paint and it lasted for years on my DD.

Flamin' bird 05-23-2008 02:19 PM

Nope. I've done mine several times...changed colors and it held up just fine. I used regular duplicolor spray for the first few times. Then after that I painted mine the same orange that's in the flame job but brushed it on. That was in 2002. Just recently I touched them up...had some chips and bought the color custom mixed in a spray.

litemup02 05-23-2008 02:25 PM

The caliper paint i have says it withstands temps to 900...but all of you hav'nt had any problems so i guess it dont matter.

Cvaught 05-23-2008 02:27 PM

I painted mine with just regular old black spray paint and they look fine. I figured it wouldn't last but its still fine 3 months later with no flaking or anything.

Runamuck 05-23-2008 04:54 PM

The actuall caliper paint has a coating to keep brake dust from sticking.
All others do not, so if you use brakes that cause alot of dust, get the caliper paint.
Otherwise is will look like ass after a few months.

VeitSSki8701 05-24-2008 08:44 PM

caliper paint is high temp paint.

Cobra2WS6 05-24-2008 09:34 PM

I just used a cherry gloss red non high temp paint and they look awesome, and have held up great

Derek Perez 04-13-2019 04:47 PM

They get very hott

Originally Posted by litemup02 (Post 9418482)
Or you can just get the brake caliper paint. Got mine at wal-mart. Not really sure if its for higher temps or not. Doubt they get hot enough to use engine paint.

Calipers actually get hotter than the engine itself. This is why it is important to use high heat paint. Brake caliper paint is actually made for calipers for a reason, it with stands the heat and it will repell unwanted contamines

W148 04-13-2019 06:18 PM

If the difference is a few bucks, why not just go for it? Make it last.

99 ss 04-17-2019 02:49 PM

Why not just have them all coated?

ZeeSNuttS 04-17-2019 04:00 PM

It's all in the prep and how well you clean them before painting the calipers... light coats of paint and of course the right temperature..