Sponsored by:

Symptoms of Torque management? 98 car a4 built

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2003, 10:42 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Symptoms of Torque management? 98 car a4 built

Symptoms of Torque management? 98 car a4 built

I know I’m running in to torque management on shifts “timing drop off before shifts” but my question is can torque management come in to play at other times? Downshifts? High rpm’s in 4thgear? 70+mph…

The reason I ask I just built up my 4l60e and everything has been fine then I took it out on the interstate and around 70 I floored it and it started to pull for like 1sec then the rpm’s just stop and the car just holds its speed even with it to the floor. I let off and hit it again “same results” so I slowed down to 65 and hit it and the same thing. Now if I just ease in to the gas it will kick down and start pulling hard until I get closer to full throttle.

Hooked up autotap and its showing delivered torque of 500+ when I floor it… could torque management be the problem? I mean this thing kicks down to 3rd at 55 and pulls very good, if I floor it at 55 it will pull down to 2nd.

I don’t think the Trans would be slipping because the rpm’s would just bounce off the rev limiter… downshifts are working great at lower speeds.
Old 09-21-2003, 07:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Symptoms of Torque management? 98 car a4 built

TM is usually only gonna be present on the shifts. Its just a safety feature to save the trans. But the car would fall on its face during a shift or right after. Log the car on atap.. if your timing drops below the set value on the shift TM is coming into play. My timing goes from 29 to 3 on shifts!! Thats TM
Old 09-21-2003, 10:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

TM can rear its head at any time the pcm feels 'abuse' is taking place. It's definitely weird for the car to completely stop accelerating though -- with your autotap, log a run and see if the ign. timing drops really low when this problem crops up.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah I’m getting 3 or 4 deg of timing right before the shifts "mostly with the 1-2 2-3 shifts at anything above 10% throttle"

here is a shot of the WOT run

i also have the efilive logs "ver 6"
efilive log 003 WOT 70mph frame 60-90
you can see the car starts at 70mph and only gets to 80 by the time i let off. i mean most of the time when you do a wot run at that kinda speed you should see 100+? i would think?
efilive log 005 normal driving frame 140-170
in number five you can really see TM take over

i was right next to a 98 SS and he left me bad, and i kill his car from a stop. same gears 3.23's both A4's