LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Automatic Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission-13/)
-   -   How long have you had your stall on your daily driven car? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/1036157-how-long-have-you-had-your-stall-your-daily-driven-car.html)

92StangMan 12-19-2008 10:29 PM

How long have you had your stall on your daily driven car?
 
I am contemplating getting a stall converter in the next 3-4 months but have heard several horror stories about peoples' transmissions going out within weeks to months after being installed. Is this normal? The car is my daily driver and not keen on taking a chance like that and having to wait a while to order a new transmission.

Those with aftermarket stalls, how long have you had them and have you had any problems? Or would it be smart to wait even longer and buy a beefier tranny with the stall?

01ssreda4 12-19-2008 10:45 PM

3200 edge stall for 6 months. no problems.

nprather 12-19-2008 10:46 PM

id do a stall.......i had one for a while....at the same time i would do a tranny cooler.....the biggest one you can

jetlag 12-19-2008 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92StangMan (Post 10695901)
I am contemplating getting a stall converter in the next 3-4 months but have heard several horror stories about peoples' transmissions going out within weeks to months after being installed. Is this normal? The car is my daily driver and not keen on taking a chance like that and having to wait a while to order a new transmission.

Those with aftermarket stalls, how long have you had them and have you had any problems? Or would it be smart to wait even longer and buy a beefier tranny with the stall?

Must have been a bad install, bad tune, or the transmission was already junk.

I've had mine for a few months and it's doing fine...with several visits to the track also..

92StangMan 12-19-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01ssreda4 (Post 10695966)
3200 edge stall for 6 months. no problems.

How do you like your Edge as I am planning on going with them too?

dannyz 12-20-2008 01:38 AM

I have been running my fuddle 3000 stall now for three plus years w/o issue.
I am also on my 23rd bottle of nitrous with that same stall and original tranny, although I am only running a 75 shot.

Omega Doom 12-20-2008 01:56 AM

I have had my Yank 4200 stall in with a stock tranny for a little over a year and a half now but I do have a big tranny cooler along with it and drive it everywhere! everyday!:D

MaroMan 12-20-2008 02:00 AM

Yank 3600, i forget its even there. No problems on a rebuilt tranny and cooler.

99_Z28 12-20-2008 03:26 AM

3500 midweast for about 8 months now...A good tranny cooler is key.

brokenfly 12-20-2008 06:58 AM

i put a 3000 edge converter in my goat at 22,000 miles...

she has 60,000 miles on her now and over 150 passes at the strip on a 100-150 shot...

FASHOOTER 12-20-2008 07:33 AM

Yank 3600 large tranny cooler, 2 summers no problems!

omcar 12-20-2008 08:02 AM

Vigilante 3,600 ... good for drivin and racin see sig for 60's

TXZ28LS1 12-20-2008 09:21 AM

im running a vigilante 3200 stall and a tranny cooler!! i got my cam/converter installed april-may of this year!! and i had no problems at all. then i just got a stage 2 tranny done around august of this year!!

sixvi6-camaro 12-20-2008 09:26 AM

I have a Vig 3600 in an FLT Level 4 4l60e. In the past 2 years I've put on 46K of Daily driving from long trips on the power tour, to drag strip runs on slicks, to 8" snow in chicago. no problems at all... but this is all on an FLT tranny.

Just understand that if your trans is worn or has any problems the stall will find them quick. If you are at all questioning the condition of the trans at all I'd just flat out get a whole new one or have your current trans rebuilt rather than taking the chance.

TXZ28LS1 12-20-2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sixvi6-camaro (Post 10697290)
I have a Vig 3600 in an FLT Level 4 4l60e. In the past 2 years I've put on 46K of Daily driving from long trips on the power tour, to drag strip runs on slicks, to 8" snow in chicago. no problems at all... but this is all on an FLT tranny.

Just understand that if your trans is worn or has any problems the stall will find them quick. If you are at all questioning the condition of the trans at all I'd just flat out get a whole new one or have your current trans rebuilt rather than taking the chance.



good point bro!! when i got my cam/3200 stall i was paranoid as hell man!! u should have seen how many pm's i did to see how long peoples trannies lasted..lol.. im glad mines lasted long enough to get my tranny beefed up. but definitely, if i was in yur shoes i would hold off and wait until u have enough money saved up for a beefier tranny and converter!! get it done right the first time.

92StangMan 12-20-2008 11:50 AM

Thanks for the input. I've been looking around and it seems that I can find both tranny and stall for about $2,250 combined. Hopefully sometime this summer a vendor will run a special discounting both stall and tranny!

aaron653 12-20-2008 03:40 PM

14 months

SOMbitch 12-21-2008 12:25 PM

20K

As many have noted the key is a BIG cooler. I have a shift kit too. Less clutch wear in theory anyway........

01ssreda4 12-21-2008 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 92StangMan (Post 10696022)
How do you like your Edge as I am planning on going with them too?

so far its been great. its hits very hard off the line and i have been fighting traction problems ever since. a guy that drives a 3200 vig says that the edge feels a bit looser. he noticed it the first time he rode with me. and i believe the shift extensions are about 4900 rpm.

highgear 12-21-2008 04:12 PM

I've had my converter for 5 yrs. No problems.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:02 AM.