Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

4L80 pan wont fit after shift kit install !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exclamation 4L80 pan wont fit after shift kit install !!!!

I built my 04 4l80 and installed the Transgo stage3 MVB with modulator and i installed a new 04 filter and now the pan hits the filter .The pan is about a 1/4" from the case, I did notice that the filter is hitting the modulator.I called Transgo today and they told me that they never herd of this problem,They told me when i found the problem to call them back and let them know what the problem was.Ive tried the new style and old style pan and still hit the filter,The 04 style filter has outward dimples to space it off the pan, the old style 96 back don't have them. Will it be o.k. to use the old style 96 filter and pan on a new 04 style tranny
Old 01-05-2009, 06:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Yes you can use the early filter , I have not see this issue either however I have seen some filters that were not made properly have clearance issues , Is the new filter any different that the one you took off?

Call 888-744-6542

Old 01-05-2009, 08:14 PM
TECH Addict

The filter i got was from Advance Auto Witch was the one they hadPro King Auto Trans Filter Kit in stock, I ordered a AC Delco and will try it tomorrow , and i also tried there 96 filter with the old style pan and it didnt clear neather, So it hast to be the filter .
Old 01-05-2009, 10:33 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are you sure the filter is hitting? Is the pan the late style with the ramp on the back half?
Old 01-06-2009, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Yes its the ramp style and i also have the old style with out the ramp. Ive tried both style pans and filters and even interchanged each other. I put a thin film off grease on the inside of pan and put the pan on the trans ,then remove the pan and it left grease on the filter were it was hitting. Trust them with me its hitting the filter
Old 01-06-2009, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by Randy WS6
Yes its the ramp style and i also have the old style with out the ramp. Ive tried both style pans and filters and even interchanged each other. I put a thin film off grease on the inside of pan and put the pan on the trans ,then remove the pan and it left grease on the filter were it was hitting. Trust them with me its hitting the filter

The HD 3 kit you used comes with a thicker (Three layer)separator plate, correct me if I am wrong. That will make it a tighter fit. With the production plate the filter is already tight against the pan. If the modulator is keeping the filter from seating that it needs to be modified.
Old 01-06-2009, 10:33 AM
TECH Addict

Yes i under stand, and that's why i called Transgo and they told me that's the first they ever herd of this problem ,And to let them know if or how i fix the problem. And yes it also hitting the modulator and even after removing it ,it did drop the filter some but the pan still would not go all the way down in the front , it liked a bout 1/4" with the gasket. I called the GM dealer this morning and i going to pickup a new factory AC Del-co filter after work, If that don't fix it i don't know what to do. And plus the tapered ( new style pan is 2-5/8" deep) and (old style pan non tapered is 2-1/2" deep.) Transgo thinks that the GM filter is thinner than the aftermarket one that i tried is just to thick. So will see this evening
Old 01-06-2009, 01:20 PM
Staging Lane

I had that problem with a filter on a 4l60. The one I got from O'Reilly's didn't have enough chamfer on the corner to clear the pan correctly. I got one from autozone (both supposed to fit the same tranny/ year/ model / etc. just different brands) and it fit fine. Its always a good idea to keep the old filter for comparison in case you run into fitment issues.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Addict

I got this trans as a core to build, and it didnt have a filter in it when i got it.
Old 01-15-2009, 08:06 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

i just ran into this problem today-i put the man kit in my 2005 unit, and the pan hit the filter-the transgo kit uses a plate on top of the v/p, for strength i think-looking at a pic of the older filter, it doesnt have the bumps on it, so it might fit, but you said yours didnt
Old 01-15-2009, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

I had to use the old factory GM style filter.with the new tapered style pan. The after market filters was to thick.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:20 PM

There are two different filters, one designed for the tapered pan (late model) and the early design deep pan. Becareful those bumps are there to keep the inlet off the bottom of the pan. If that inlet sits to close to the bottom your pump will not be able to get he flow it needs.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:41 AM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Two thinks here. Are you sure that he filter is sitting in the correct place and also that the pan is not hitting the lube tube in the rear portion of the case. I have seen both of these cause issues. Also are you using a Delco reusable pan gasket? These are much thicker and might help you here. Vince
Old 01-16-2009, 08:07 AM

You should not replace the production gasket unless it is damaged. They are reusable and are far better then the replacements that come with a filter kit.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

The filter is setting on the valve body bolts, were it should. The filter has places molded in the plastic were the bolt should set.. The pan not hitting the tub in the rear , the filter is hitting in the front. I put a dab of grease on the four stand off on the new style filter and the two front one are touching the pan. When i install the old style filter with the new style (tapered) pan , the pan sits flush on the pan gasket. The old style pan is 2-1/2" deep and the new style pan is 2-5/8" deep.. So what do we need to do ? Get a after market deep pan ? Whats the clearance i need from the pan to the filter ?
Old 01-16-2009, 01:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

ok, the pan hits on the 4 bumps on the new style filter-i even took out the 2 bolts where there is an indention in the filter, still hits-i went to NAPA, got a # 1-7592 filter, 91-96, fits perfect-their is a cutout in the filter to allow fluid into it
it looks like it would be simple to place a 3" or less (to contain the area) piece of pipe centered under the area where the filter hits the pan, give it a couple whacks with a ballpeen hammer, and problem solved-i may do this even though the other filter works, as it looks like the new style filter, with the 4 bumps, would allow more area of fluid under it
the pan showed marks from the 4 areas where it sat on the pan orig
now all i have to do is hope this trans works, lol
Old 01-16-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Addict

I talked to Transgo about this and said they never had herd of this problem !! I wonder if the valve body is any thicker on the 04's and newer , because the Transgo shim plates is about 1/8" thick and the pan was off the case about 1/4" with the gasket with the new style filter. I think i might do like you said and make reliefs in the pan for the four bumps.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:49 PM

You would want at a minimum 5 mm of clearance between the Inlet and bottom pan. Also make sure that there is not to big of a gap in the front between the pan and filter. The pan does hold the filter into the pump.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:55 PM
FLT
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

How is the bottom of the pan surface? The reason I ask is we tore a core down today and the pan was bent in towards the valve body. When unbolting it I took a look at the gap and there was quite a bit. I popped the dent out and it fit much better. Might be something to consider. We use new pans on our 80's when built and also a new reusable pan gaskets. I have noticed a slight gap but nothing I would worry about by doing this. Take a look at your pan again to check its bottom surfaces for being tweaked. Even in the rear where the pan is angled. I feel this might be your problem. Also make sure that you do not have a filter seal in the case and also one on your new filter. I get new filters and sometimes they have the seal on them. I can see where this could something simple. Vince
Old 01-16-2009, 06:31 PM
TECH Addict

I installed a new filter seal when i built the tranny, and put a straight edge on the pan , it was fine.

Quick Reply: 4L80 pan wont fit after shift kit install !!!!