LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Automatic Transmission (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission-13/)
-   -   tail housing blues... (https://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/1089182-tail-housing-blues.html)

D-villebird 03-25-2009 07:54 PM

tail housing blues...

alright guys i just had my trans built about a month ago and changed the stall from a tci 3500 to a vig. 3500... when i got the car back i drove it nice and easy for the first 500 miles. the next night i raced a cammed mach 1 from a dead stop and broke the tail housing! took it back to the trans shop and made them replace the tail housing and trans mount. then i got the car back the 2nd time it was 2 days later i broke it again racing at the drag strip... took it back again and they replaced it again... and broke it again just kicking on it with a ricer at 40mph! i replaced it the last time myself cause i wasnt making friends at the trans shop and the car is sitting in the drive way until i find out what the heck is going on with it! it never started doin this until i had the trans built... the car is makin the same power as it was befor it had the trans built... mods are long tubes 3.73 gear and baby cam nothin big... any idea plz help!

performabuilt 03-25-2009 08:05 PM

I would check UJOINTS first then look over the TORQ bar and mounts.

crzytown69 03-25-2009 08:58 PM

take the poly mount off "if you have it" check your tq arm and make sure it isnt bent

D-villebird 03-25-2009 10:03 PM

yeah im replacin the ujoints in the morning. i replace the tq arm mount when i put the tail housing on it last time... really not sure if the tq arm would be bent? but ill check it

crzytown69 03-26-2009 06:58 AM

you will know my buddy bent his :O) it was super bad

rickou812 03-26-2009 12:31 PM

Busted motor mount, maybe?

john563 03-26-2009 03:39 PM

man I feel your pain!! when I was just cammed/stalled my tailshaft broke on the dyno,So I said fuck it and just bought a built tranny..Got it installed and put it back on the dyno and bam!! Tailshaft broke on the new trans!! So got a new tailshaft for the built trans..On the third time my it took out my tailshaft,input shaft tourque arm,and driveshaft!! mind you this with the stock tq arm off the tailshaft..So I got a new pst driveshaft and BMR tourque arm and never had a problem since..We think the old tourque arm was bent and flexing

D-villebird 03-26-2009 07:50 PM

i think my driveshaft it self is bent and was going to buy a inland one at the speed shop in town this weekend... on top of that i was going to buy a chassis mounted ta from bmr or umi and try to get that ta off the tail housing if that would help it any? the motor mounts are my to do list, really not a job i want to take on right now cause it looks like its going to be a pain in the tail!